Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Reinstalling K4PC if latest version crashes

Sorry if this is old news, but I didn't see any recent posts about this....

As detailed in my blog post, K4PC crashed on me today when I tried to launch it. After following another suggestion to download and install an older version (which worked), I then got an email response from Kindle CS with additional steps to uninstall, deregister, and reinstall K4PC with the latest version. This seemed to do the trick. (I suspect the cleaning up of the user app data may have been significant.) If you need to do this, don't forget to back up any non-Amazon content from your "My Kindle Content" folder before deleting it -- or just do what I did and move the whole folder to a back-up location. Here's a direct copy-and-paste of the instructions from Amazon:

Quote:
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you with your Kindle for PC application.

I'm glad to hear that you've tried the basic troubleshooting steps by uninstalling and reinstalling the application, that was the correct action to take. However, as the basic troubleshooting wasn't useful, let’s try Real-time troubleshooting steps by uninstalling the Kindle for PC application, and deregister it from your "Manage Your Kindle." Then, reinstall the latest version (1.5) of the Kindle for PC application and re-register the application.

Steps to uninstall the application from your computer:

1. Go to your computer's Start menu.
2. Select "All Programs."
3. Find the Amazon folder in the list.
4. Follow the menu to the "Amazon Kindle for PC" folder.
5. Click "Uninstall Kindle for PC" from the list.
6. Confirm everything has been deleted in the -- C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle For PC directory (especially the Kindle.info file).
7. Also confirm everything has been deleted in the -- C:\Users\<USER>\Documents\My Kindle Content
8. Make sure all system updates are performed.
9. Reboot/restart your computer.

Note: Uninstalling the Kindle for PC application, will not change your registration. You'll need to follow these steps in-order to deregister the Kindle for PC application:

1. Visit the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle)
2. Locate your Kindle for PC in the "Your Other Devices" section.
3. Click the "Deregister" link.
To install the latest version of Kindle for PC, go to the URL below to download and install the application:

www.amazon.com/kindleforpc

We are frequently updating Kindle for PC with new features and performance improvements that may resolve the problem you are having. The new Kindle for PC 1.5 adds several new features to the application.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It's beginning to look like the problem may be certain book files causing the crash of 1.7.0. When I started copying non-Amazon books back to the My Kindle Content directory, I got the crash again.

See http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...tml#msg1282663 for more info.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I started having difficulty after an upgrade today (v1.7.0). It launched fine the first time after the upgrade and crashed on launch on all subsequent launches.

Thanks for your Kindleboards link. I removed the 3 PRC files in my My Kindle folder and now K4PCv1.7.0 launches fine. It seems the new version has some difficulty dealing with earlier versions of the MOBI format.

Some users may find old data versions lurking behind the newer MOBI extension so removing files with a MOBI extension may be required.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Anyone know if the Calibre plugins still work with 1.7?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote