Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Cloud Atlas --- worth the price?

So I kind of want to read the book before the movie comes out this year, but the inner cheapo in me is balking at the $11.99 kindle price (while the paperback is $10, but i don't have the space). so for those who've read this, is it worth the price and is it really good? i prefer a good drama now and then, but not too much sadness.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I bought it on a recommendation about six years ago and couldn't get past the second or third story. It's very boring.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I don't know if you have access to a library with ebooks, but our library has Cloud Atlas in both Kindle and epub formats.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I don't know if you have access to a library with ebooks, but our library has Cloud Atlas in both Kindle and epub formats.

eP
sadly no, but i'm a member of the singapore library. i'll pop in and see if they have it thanks for the reminder
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Phenomenal book. It takes a lot of work to stay with it but once you get deep in it's really amazing. Each section is written in a different style and the more dense sections come first (and last, as the book turns inside out) so I can see why people give up on it. If you feel like putting some work in I would say it's definitely worth the price.

His other books are equally wonderful as well.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I absolutely LOVED Cloud Atlas.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard

wow, guess i'll have to give it a try now
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm just piling on, but Cloud Atlas is great, as is Ghostwritten and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Thousand Autumns, to my mind, was the book that took 50 or 60 pages before it got going. But they all pay off in the end.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
I'm just piling on, but Cloud Atlas is great, as is Ghostwritten and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Thousand Autumns, to my mind, was the book that took 50 or 60 pages before it got going. But they all pay off in the end.
Dog pile! I agree Ghostwritten is amazing as well; it's sort of a thematic cousin to Cloud Atlas. Thousand Autumns turned out to be my favorite of his works. Everything he's written is a marvel really.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Price must be relative. Here in the U.S. a hard cover of the book is priced at $64.00 so if I wanted a copy $11.00 would be cheap.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Price must be relative. Here in the U.S. a hard cover of the book is priced at $64.00 so if I wanted a copy $11.00 would be cheap.
But the paperback is $10.20 on Amazon and the Kindle edition is higher at $11.99. It's unfair to compare the hardcover, which is out of print and now collectible.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
At that price I simply will not pay that price no matter how good or bad it is. $10.50 and $12 is too high for anything - in my humble oppinion.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
...balking at the $11.99 kindle price...
What I don't get is the book is 8 years old, but seems to be priced at a new, best-seller rate. I'm still new to how ebooks are priced, but many times I'll check amazon.com for a title that's been recommended here, only to find it was published a decade or more ago and the ebook pricing is right up there with a newly published book from a best-seller list.

Of course, I totally get brand-new best sellers commanding top price and I'll happily pay it if it's something I really want to read. Like you, though, I find myself balking at $12 for an 8-year old book. I'll probably check out the DTB version from the library.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote