Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
Time for a new e-reader! Is Kindle the best one for Instapaper?

So it's time to replace my old Kindle 3. It served me well, I loved it from the start, but now the gray line stuck in the middle of the screen has been there for too long (over a year, but luckily it is right between paragraphs with correctly formatted books so I lived with it) and I feel like it's time for a change.

Like others around here, I prefer buttons over touch for page turning. But seeing the current market I guess chances are good I'll end up with a touch-only reader...

After looking around for some time, I was tempted by a Cybook Odysseyr HD FrontLight. The video posted in this thread convinced me to check the new Kindle Paperwhite.

The reviews seem all positive, and I'm really tempted to go for this one even if it doesn't have buttons to turn page.

My biggest complaint is this damn "pay to get rid of the ads" thing. I find it simply disgusting and would have prefered a device sold at higher price and not a word about this crap. But hey, this is the world we live in and I shouldn't be surprised about this I guess. Anyway.

I use Instapaper a lot, mainly to read long articles on the iPad, but I just thought this morning that maybe there could be a way to read my articles on my e-reader. After looking around a bit, it seems that Kindle is the reader that integrates Instapaper more easily. Still I thought I would ask around here in case I missed something?

I use my reader mainly at home, so wi-fi always available. I don't want to connect it to the computer just to read articles when going to bed.

Well, that's about it. If you have some suggestions, let me know, it might change my mind before I make a move (the new paperwhite isn't available here until October 23rd anyway). I'm not a big fan of Kobo. I don't know much about the Sony readers and since they have been around for so long I was thinking maybe they got something that could be interesting for me? And I'm in Canada by the way.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mtrahan; 10-11-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Corrected a mistake. Current Kindle is 3, not 2. Oops
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrahan View Post
My biggest complaint is this damn "pay to get rid of the ads" thing. I find it simply disgusting and would have prefered a device sold at higher price and not a word about this crap. But hey, this is the world we live in and I shouldn't be surprised about this I guess. Anyway.
Sorry can't offer you any advice on the use of Instapaper, but had to reply to the above quote. Kindles with Special Offers are only sold in the US and are 20$ cheaper than standard Kindles (ones without any ads), and if you buy a special offers Kindle you can pay $20 to remove the ads if you decide you don't like them.

If you buy a Kindle from a Canadian store, you won't get one with ads.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Sorry can't offer you any advice on the use of Instapaper, but had to reply to the above quote. Kindles with Special Offers are only sold in the US and are 20$ cheaper than standard Kindles (ones without any ads), and if you buy a special offers Kindle you can pay $20 to remove the ads if you decide you don't like them.

If you buy a Kindle from a Canadian store, you won't get one with ads.
Oh! That is great news. Thanks for the information!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
You don't need instapaper. I used to use it, but when I got the Paperwhite I switched to the Amazon equivalent, check this out. i found it much less of a hassle, logging in, regularly clearing my account of articles I already read etc.

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheygetz View Post
You don't need instapaper. I used to use it, but when I got the Paperwhite I switched to the Amazon equivalent, check this out. i found it much less of a hassle, logging in, regularly clearing my account of articles I already read etc.

Hendrik
Oh, I didn't realize there was a system already integrated by Amazon to clip web articles for the Kindle. Seems nice. I was hoping to use a system that was also working on the iPad (either Instapaper or Readbility or the like), though, but I'll try this one.

I'll have to do some more research about how it is integrated on the actual device: I don't know if the UI has changed since Kindle 3, but it would be nice if the stuff sent to Kindle was kind of separated from the books.

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: I also just remembered that one of the biggest problem I had when I tried reading on the iPad or other touch-devices, is that I found it pretty much impossible to highlight text across multiple pages... That is also why I loved my old Kindle so much. I looked around a bit for information about this, but I'm afraid there is no solution currently to highlight across multiple pages on the Kindle Paperwhite? (Except making font very small so it fits the page during highlighting. Which isn't exactly a solution.) Does anyone has information on this?

2ND EDIT: It seems highlighting across multiple pages has been improved in the Kindle iOS app not long ago: "It's at last possible to make highlights that span multiple pages," says this article. I guess something must have been done for the Kindle OS aswell?

Last edited by mtrahan; 10-11-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Highlighting problem.
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
So it's time to replace my old Kindle 3. It served me well, I loved it from the start, but now the gray line stuck in the middle of the screen has been there for too long (over a year, but luckily it is right between paragraphs with correctly formatted books so I lived with it) and I feel like it's time for a change.
Why not replace it with ...... a Kindle 3?

There are quite a few available secondhand on eBay, many being sold by people who hardly used them.

I bought a secondhand one on eBay recently to give as a gift, and I was really pleased to find that it was in as-new condition. With a cover.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Why not replace it with ...... a Kindle 3?
Well, I was kind of hoping to get some features of the new generation, mainly because I thought the screen was better (less greyish, better contrast?) but I'm not too sure anymore after reading around. And because of the light, which I have none actually but I think it could be useful.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I can easily highlight across pages on my K3.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I can easily highlight across pages on my K3.
Yes, but the K3 has buttons. It's with touch screens that highlighting problems arise.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
...but it would be nice if the stuff sent to Kindle was kind of separated from the books.
I do not have a Kindle at hand anymore. But where would separated from books be, I wonder. ... hmm.. I recall there was an option to have just the periodicals shown. Well, I really couldn't say whether send2 stuff was viewed as a periodical by the device. Articles you send to the K show up with a sort of b/w cover with the title on it. There is no option to have a digest made up of, say, a day's articles as I believe you can on Instapaper. One article = one cover in your publication list.
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote