Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Have we seen any of the smaller companies lower prices yet?
Pocketbook did. ($199, $219, $279--competitive enough.)
Kobo did. (Not sure if they qualify as small.)
Bookeen was lowering prices on the Opus anyway.
Suspect most are waiting for their next wave of readers to adjust pricing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #32
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth.
(eewww! Who comes up with those phrases? )
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...84&newsLang=en
Thanks .

As far as can I see, Amazon's new Kindle DX is going to use E-Ink Pearl. Has Sony announced such an initiative or have there been rumors about it?
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #33
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The PRS 300 should have been less than $149. Doesnt make it stand out at that price.

Still waiting for $99.

I agree. You can now get the Nook WiFi for $149 and IMO it is far superior to the PRS 300. I used to have a PRS 300 and sold it to buy the Nook WiFi, mostly for reading my library books. My Kindle 2 is still my favorite reader, but the Nook is very good.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Thanks .

As far as can I see, Amazon's new Kindle DX is going to use E-Ink Pearl. Has Sony announced such an initiative or have there been rumors about it?
No news on the Sony front.
The expectation is they will have something new coming but it's still too early for FCC manual leaks. Later in the month, perhaps.

The rumors right now are about the K3( July/Aug) and color Kindle (xmas); Sony is probably waiting for the K3 shoe to drop before any official announcements. Its the safest choice anyway.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
PRS-300; I see it as low as $112.80 (from a what I consider reputable store)
PRS-600; I see it as low as $137.57 (from a what I consider reputable store)

Tech-for-less but, you need to go through BCB. Hope this helps somebody.

I believe in the past, the 900 has been as low as $260'ish...
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #36
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
They are not matching the US prices here in Canada at the Sony store:

PRS300 -- $199.99
PRS600 -- $249.99
PRS900 -- not available
Sadly, Sony has been fairly uninterested in the Canadian market -- don't get me started on the lacklustre "Canadianized" edition of the its ereader store.

And, as this link shows, Sony's "marketing claims" of superiority -- based on the PRS300 and PRS600 and compared only to the Kindle 2, ignoring the existing of a Kindle DX -- has a footnote stating the comparison is valid vs. the Kindle as of Sep 2009 ... before the Canadian launch.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/html/compari...omparison.html

So ... Sony Touch Edition for $249 or the Amazon Kindle 2i for $189+shipping? One has 3G, syncing with multiple platforms including mobile, social networking, text-to-speech, works in over 100 countries with web browsing, has a dedicated active recommendation community ... and costs about $40 less. Somehow this level of detail is missing in the chart ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #37
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

So ... Sony Touch Edition for $249 or the Amazon Kindle 2i for $189+shipping? One has 3G, syncing with multiple platforms including mobile, social networking, text-to-speech, works in over 100 countries with web browsing, has a dedicated active recommendation community ... and costs about $40 less. Somehow this level of detail is missing in the chart ....
Yeah, but you forgot that the Touch has a 7.1 inch screen. A 1.1 screen bigger cannot be in the same league. I have a Kindle 2 and I don't use the web browsing or social networking. all sound like gimmick to me. But I do use the library and have been able to read a lot of new authors that I would have never tried before if I had to buy the books.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Yeah, but you forgot that the Touch has a 7.1 inch screen.
Uh, the Touch has a 6" screen.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665921180
The Daily edition (at $299 list) is the model with the 7" screen.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...64650#features
Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, the Touch has a 6" screen.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665921180
The Daily edition (at $299 list) is the model with the 7" screen.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...64650#features
You're right, got it confuse with the Daily Edition. I still would not buy a Kindle as my only reader without the freedom to load library books on it. For me it's no big deal since I can liberate all my books but for the average customer it makes no sense.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #40
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My Kindle 2 works fully on 3G when in holiday in Mexico. My Sony Daily Edition doesn't. Oh, wait: I don't have a Daily Edition because Sony can't be bothered to sell it in Canada. If I want library books, the $149 Kobo is ideal. And, buying it supports a Canadian enterprise ... with a very fine ebook store of its own.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #41
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X=;
I visited their Sonystyle store they have new prices

300 dropped from $169-> $149
600 dropped from $199 -> $169M[CODE
[/CODE]
900 dropped from $349 -> $299

So here I was eying a kindle for wife with it's lower price point. With the new lower price she might just receive a cherry red Sony-600

Decision, decisions....

=X=
Hi - for what it's worth, I'd recommend that you consider something other than a Sony for your wife. I have a Sony 505 and it has worked flawlessly for 3 1/2 years. It is very well made, light weight, good battery life, etc. However, the book selection is quite limited, compared to kindle and kobo, etc.

Much to my disappointment, I've waited for years for the Sony store to carry books that are available via the other ebook sellers - with no luck. On the plus side, the Sony reader can check out library ebooks. But for me the lack of books in the Sony store is a critical flaw.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #42
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Victoria, you do know you do not have to buy books from the Sony Reader store to put them on a Sony, don't you? Nine-tenths of the books on my 300 are NOT from the reader store.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #43
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Victoria, you do know you do not have to buy books from the Sony Reader store to put them on a Sony, don't you? Nine-tenths of the books on my 300 are NOT from the reader store.
In the UK we can't use the Sony Reader Store at all, so 100% of the books on my 505 are not from that store.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I have exactly ONE Sony store purchased ebook on my PRS-300. The remaining 80 or so are purchased anywhere I can get around geo restrictions and from Smashwords etc.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #45
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Out of the 112 books I have bought 1 is from Sony's store & it was a free download! While they have a fairly good selection of the books I like, they are WAY too expensive.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote