Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Android
Android began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Appears to be bricked?

I only received this today. Haven't been able to use it at all yet.

It arrived. I turned it on and plugged it in to USB. Firstly it showed Opening Book... but then nothing more happened. The light was orange. Assuming it was charging I left it for about an hour. Came back and there was nothing different. Left it for another hour and still nothing so I pressed the reset button and plugged it in again. The light turned red. I left it for an hour and now the light was orange but it was still just showing Opening Book.

I have tried several things including many more resets and various things I have found on the Internet. Mostly it is just combinations of resetting and turning on while plugged in and not.

It now shows Firmware update was not successful, Please try again. When I plugged it in the computer detected it an opened a 44kb removeable device with a single empty file called "Protected !!". I'm now at a complete loss. I have found things related to the PRS-500 but I was unsure about doing it since this is a 300. While plugged in it is showing Updating firmware now... and it has a red light that flashes orange about every 2 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.
Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
TWo thoughts: First, try recharging for a few hours via the power port (not usb) using a Sony PSP adapter.

Second, you could try reflashing the firmware (and gaining a few nifty features, like 7/8 for page turns and a clock in the bottom status bar). Links to the file dl for flashing are floating in this forum--look for 'russify' and it should turn up.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Android

I don't have a power adapter, only the USB cable. If I reflash the firmware will that affect my warrenty in anyway? I don't want to find it is completely broken and needs returning only to find I can't anymore.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not an expert but it could just be possible that your reader tried performing a function (like opening book) with the battery nearly depleted. When my battery was depleted, I had to charge it for nearly 8 hours via USB to get it charged up. After that, I did the reset thing and that fixed it. Also, need to check to make sure the computer doesn't go into sleep mode as it may stop charging the device.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Android

I'll leave it on charge overnight. See what happens in the morning. It seems to be stuck now saying that the firmware didn't update successfully and whenever I plug it in it changes to say that the firmware is updating.
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully the firmware will update sucessfully once it's fully charged. If not, try flashing it as Dr. Moze recommended. I'm not a tech person but I think bad things can happen when a device stops in the middle of a firmware update, but flashing it should get it going.

I also believe for the 505 there is a hard reset and a soft rest. Not sure if there is such a thing for the 300. Perhaps someone can explain it in detail if you haven't tried both methods. For me to get the reset thing working, I know it involved sliding the off and on button but that was for the 505.

Last edited by MerLock; 12-23-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
Android

It has now been plugged into my computer all night and I just reset it again and turned it on. It said Opening book... for a few seconds and then Firmware update did not complete successfully, please try again. Is there anything that I can do?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't have any experience with this, but have seen various mentions in other threads. Maybe something in the below threads will help?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45641

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58511

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59674

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22130

Or maybe something from the Wiki?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...ctory_settings

Good Luck
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Android

I called Sony this morning and they told me it is irrepairably broken and I have to return it, since I bought it online that means posting it back. It will probably be the end of next week before I get a replacement since it is Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Sorry about your trouble Android, it happens to any product from any manufacture. I must say that is why I am willing to pay more sometimes to buy a "high tech" item from a regular store than online. I bought my PRS-300 from a Best Buy about 25 miles away. I had two weeks to return it, no questions asked. Plus, if it broke I could go back and simply get another (within a reasonable time frame). I do most of my shopping online, but some things I go with the old fashioned way.

Again, sorry about your problems, and though you will not have it for Christmas, you just might have it to start the new year....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it working. Hopefully the next unit will be trouble free!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
kbob
kbob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
If you have not yet returned the reader, you may try this. I had a similar problem with my PRS-700, but the problem occurred when I had pulled the USB connection from my laptop a tad too quickly. I had to connect my reader back to the laptop and run checkdisk on it. Since I had windows XP running on my laptop, I used windows explorer to navigate to the reader flash drive. You can use the windows explorer, to right click on the Removable device and click on properties. In the tools tab, run "Check now" under the Error-Checking Section. Be sure to have the "Automatically fix file system errors". This fixed my issue. The Sony support had also given me the same reply you got. Since my issue got fixed, I did not have to send my reader back to Sony.
kbob is offline   Reply With Quote