Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad featured in Channel4 clip

Turn up your Windows Media player to view the following 3:30mins video clip (direct link) on e-paper and the iLiad iRex in particular. It's amazing to watch this guy from Plastic Logic hitting the prototype of a flexible e-paper with his shoe, like, there is nothing better you could do with it. Some screen captures attached for those who cannot play Windows Media files.

Edit: Somehow I must've missed it that our savvy reader masc pointed to the same clip a few days ago.

Quote:
It could mean a revolution for the publishing business - its called electronic paper - a computer device that can hold one hundred books or receive a newspaper downloaded to it while you sit on the train. But instead of a flickering computer screen to give you a headache, the makers claim its just like reading from normal paper. British consumers get their first chance to buy the product within the next couple of weeks. But are we really ready to say goodbye to the traditional book?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture01.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	1114   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture02.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1115   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture03.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1116   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture04.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1117   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture05.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1118   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture06.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1119   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture07.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1120   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture08.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1121   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture09.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	1122   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture10.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1123  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Alexander, it was a good idea to open a fresh new thread with this link [previously posted].

Q: Is there a way to download this video? Or is it a streaming video only?

# Hey, I won't smash my shoe on my iliad.
# iliad in TV news -> web shop opening is near.

edit: Plastic Logic’s Prototype Images Looks great.

Last edited by yokos; 05-22-2006 at 11:21 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Alexander, it was a good idea to open a fresh new thread with this link [previously posted].
Really? I must have missed it. If you can show me the thread, I'll add some credits.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
it's in the "Hand on with the iliad" Thread Henrycat used...^^
i'll post the link as soon as i found the right page

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&page=12&pp=15

there it is...page 12
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks! Updated the thread accordingly.
Advert
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow the screen refresh is so much better than with the Sony Librie!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Q: Is there a way to download this video? Or is it a streaming video only?
mms://video.channel4.com/news/2006/05/19_novel.wmv

You can now use VLC or mplayer for Linux to play above clip directly.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Did anyone notice the "Planet PDF" logo that was displayed on most pages?

Does this have anything to do with

http://www.planetpdf.com

and does anyone know the connection?

Just to keep the discussion going...:-)

By the way:
Did you see the Sudoku game? I wonder how you play that...to make it work properly you'd need either keyboard input, text recognition or multiple choice pulldown menus.
Due to the fact that all the options mentioned above are highly unlikely, I guess it's like real "pena nd paper" sudoku where you have to do your own thing and don't have any computerized help and/or correction features.

Last edited by CommanderROR; 05-22-2006 at 01:52 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Any news on deals with more real publishers for the Iliad? That is the only reason right now to prefer the Sony (aside from cost). If IRex can come up with content equal to Sony, Sony will have serious cause for concern. If I were Sony, I would get my butt in gear and get the Reader released (yesterday would no be too soon) before all the early adopters buy an Iliad!
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Still crossing my fingers of having Mobipocket on board with this.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Still crossing my fingers of having Mobipocket on board with this.
Indeed! Any indications of this?
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
Indeed! Any indications of this?
They keep very quiet about this, but it seems true that they are in discussion with iRex to port their reader to the iLiad.

"We still don't have the confirmation, but it's on the good path."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Did anyone notice the "Planet PDF" logo that was displayed on most pages?
PlanetPDF CEO Karl De Abrew saw the iRex displayed at the Adobe Acrobat and PDF Conference.

"My jaw nearly hit the ground when I saw one of the Planet PDF's Project Gutenberg eBooks displayed in a prototype version of an iLiad ER0100 from iRex Technology -- an offshoot from Royal Philips Electronics, located on the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. As you may or may not know, Planet PDF was quite involved in the eBook world back in 2000/2001 and even ran a sister site which is still available in archive form called Planet eBook. I really recommend that you drop by iRex's Web site and take a look at their device, I've heard (but can't confirm) that it's going to be selling for a few hundred US dollars per unit."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-KDA-AGI.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1125  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
The discussion raging on the Mobipocket boards seems to indicate that there are no plans to port the Desktop Reader to Linux, but i am rather sure that the device Reader part will be ported.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote