Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #46
fargo
Virtual Books Reader :)
fargo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Kindle DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlmmg View Post
I have Kindle DX white (b004) 2.5.8, and your upgrade doesn't work on it. The "Update" menu item is greyed out.
Where can I find your update for contrast and other enhancements for Kindle DX White?
I too can't install this hack. The C source file is included in the original post, so can anyone repack it for the white DX (B004) please?
fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo View Post
I too can't install this hack. The C source file is included in the original post, so can anyone repack it for the white DX (B004) please?
So can you.
Use the KindleTool to pack and un-pack our packages.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #48
freedomshi
freedomshi began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDXG
great job, this is what i need in pdf reading,Thanks.
freedomshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #49
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Very nice job isotherm. I love it.

Two quick questions:
1. Is this new eink_fb_hal.ko from a K3 by any chance?
2. If for a while we disable refresh altogether (by SHIFT+LEFT twice), is it technically harmful for the eInk? It's a bit dirty, but I do refresh once in a while (using SHIFT+CLICK twice).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2015 at 04:10 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #50
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for this! Note: I had to reboot after the update in order for it to work.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #51
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for this! Note: I had to reboot after the update in order for it to work.
I am glad you liked it.
Yes, that is reported. Sometime, in fact, you need to reboot twice.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #52
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
1. The eink_fb_hal.ko is a modified kernel driver. It is partly based on the driver from the K3, but was modified to be more flexible and allow any mapping, etc.
2. I'm not aware of any permanent screen problem (e.g. burn in) by disabling the refresh. Also, some commercial e-readers with the same screen have a feature like this.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #53
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
1. The eink_fb_hal.ko is a modified kernel driver. It is partly based on the driver from the K3, but was modified to be more flexible and allow any mapping, etc.
2. I'm not aware of any permanent screen problem (e.g. burn in) by disabling the refresh. Also, some commercial e-readers with the same screen have a feature like this.
Awesomeness.
It's always active on my Kindle since day 1. Much more enjoyable reading. Refresh whenever I want/need/feel like it.

Do you think we can manipulate drivers in such a way that screen refresh rate becomes faster? Here I'm not talking about this module and the perfect functionality that it provides, but rather more about geekmaster's video player (which was fairly painfully slow on DX. ?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-20-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #54
thatworkshop
hub

On K3, one can do ALT+G to refresh the screen (reflash it). Anyone knows how this can be done on DXG?

/etc/rc.d/functions mentions eips -c but it doesn't truly reflash the screen (when using this contrast process is running).

Why I need this:
My screensaver is a blank picture and I want when my device goes to sleep, it be on a clear white page without any dirty effects because of using contrast process.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #55
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I haven't had a Kindle in awhile. Does a refresh invert the screen twice, or turn it all black and then refresh? If it inverts twice, try these commands:
Code:
echo "99 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
echo "99 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #56
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
I haven't had a Kindle in awhile. Does a refresh invert the screen twice, or turn it all black and then refresh? If it inverts twice, try these commands:
Code:
echo "99 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
echo "99 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15" >/proc/eink_fb/update_display
Former is the case in my K3.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Former is the case in my K3.
I think he meant use *both* commands -
set the grayscale white to black (forcing a clear), followed by setting the grayscale black to white (forcing a clear).
Old 09-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #58
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I think he meant use *both* commands -
set the grayscale white to black (forcing a clear), followed by setting the grayscale black to white (forcing a clear).
Oh yes, I know. By former, I meant "a refresh invert the screen twice".

And by the way, the two commands do nothing on my DXG.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Oh yes, I know. By former, I meant "a refresh invert the screen twice".

And by the way, the two commands do nothing on my DXG.
I still don't have a serial port on my DXG (nor on my K2) - -
Those have large connection pads (at least I think the K2 does also) -
They are **expected** to be 3.3v serial (not 1.8v like the newer models).

Those will be my target for the "Peal and Stick" serial port connections, when I finish determining the etchant to use.

(Yeah, as if my DIY, <10USD, "Paint and Play" thread got any interest.)

I am now spending my free time creating an update to my "ARMhf on Kindle" thread (in the display clock thread).
THAT will get some use.
And I'll have to clone the documentation, kernel modules and etc. from my dead BitBucket accounts somewhere else.

Note:
It doesn't matter what toolchain you use to **build a kernel** - the kernel is a "bare metal" (does not use any system library - it is the system) binary.
So use NiLuJe's - at least you can contact the author here in case of trouble.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, the only limitation is that the TC used to build the Kernel matches the TC used to build the modules.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote