Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #991
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
Trying to understand the syntax JimmXinu, apologies for my lack of certainty. I have read the Calibre faq section on regular expressions, but part of the question has to do with how FFDL parses.

characters=>(.+)=>Character.Transformers.\1&&categ ory=>Transformers
says:
look in class: characters=>find (any text string of any length in an individual tag)=>output to the Character column the tag contents from the brackets prepended with the string “Transformers.” if the string was from the category Transformers. Is that correct?
Basically, I’m not sure whether “Character” is the destination, the class, or what.

So if I want to have FFDL take a character who appears in two related fandoms, like Willow R. in either Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Angel, and convert it to ch Jossverse: Willow Rosenberg in general tags and Jossverse.B:tVS.Willow Rosenberg or Jossverse.Angel.Willow Rosenberg as appropriate (I split Buffy, Angel, in the hierarchical column but combine it in general tags) in the character column I would do:
Spoiler:
characters=>Willow R\.=>Willow Rosenberg
category=>Buffy: the Vampire Slayer\.=>Jossverse.B:tVS
category=>Angel=>Jossverse.Angel
characters=>(.+)=>edchars.Jossverse.B:tVS\1&&categ ory=>Jossverse.Buffy
characters=>(.+)=>edchars.Jossverse.Angel\1&&categ ory=>Jossverse.Angel
characters=>(.+)=>Character.ch Jossverse: \1&&category=>(Jossverse.Buffy|Jossverse.Angel)

? I suspect not, but I’m not sure how to do it. And granted that even if it worked, it would break in the crossover case mentioned by Jade Aislin above. There are embedded questions about at what points FFDL looks at the data downloaded vs. subsequently altered entries.
What I currently do (written prior to the introduction of 5 part lines, and only works for characters with unique names per fandom) is (excerpt):

Spoiler:

extra_valid_entries:edchars,edfand
edchars_label:Characters by fandom
edfand_label:Fandom

include_in_edchars:characters

custom_columns_settings:
edchars=>#characters,n
edfand=>#fandom,n

## FFNet uses different entries for Wesley in Angel and B:tVS, thus the first line
characters=>(^Wesley W\.$|^Wesley W\.P\.$)=>Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
characters=>Willow R\.=>Willow Rosenberg
characters=>(Angel|Anya Jenkins|Buffy Summers|Cordelia Chase|Dawn Summers|Darla|Drusilla|Faith Lehane|Fred Burkle|Illyria|Rupert Giles|Spike|Tara Maclay|Wesley Wyndam-Pryce|Willow Rosenberg|Xander Harris|Vi)=>ch Jossverse: \1
category=>Buffy: the Vampire Slayer\.=>Jossverse.B:tVS
category=>Angel=>Jossverse.Angel
edchars=>(ch Jossverse: )=>Jossverse.
category=>^(.+)$=>fand: \1
edfand=>(fand: )=>

and then manually add the Angel or B:tVS to the characters in the custom column.

Notes to Jade Aislin (or others doing specific substitutions):
Spoiler:

1: The 1 refers to the bit in the brackets. If you have more than one group of expressions it counts left to right, so the contents of the second set of brackets would be 2.

|: The pipe is a way to search for multiple strings. Use it as a separator, and it searches for what’s on either side. Note, don’t begin or end with it, or have two in a row or it will match blanks or anys.

^$: If you have two character strings where one contains the entirety of the other (e.g.: “Molly”, “Molly Davies”, then put the shorter one between a leading ^ and trailing $. The ^ matches the beginning of the tag and $ the end. Otherwise a story containing “Molly Davies” would have both searches match: characters=>(Molly|Molly Davies)=>fandom.\1 would give you fandom.Molly, fandom.Molly Davies
characters=>(^Molly$|Molly Davies)=>fandom.\1 would give you fandom.Molly Davies

\: While it usually causes a single special character directly after it, most commonly “.” to be treated as text, there are exceptions. e.g.: You have to use &Amp; for &
Also, note that some symbols, while similar don’t match in search strings. On AO3, for example, the tag _Jennifer “JJ” Jareau_ won’t match using the quotation mark generated using the keyboard writing in text edit. At a guess because it uses smart quotes. I haven’t gotten around to testing whether I can copy/paste the correct one.

On character lists: When I was starting out, I did exhaustive character lists for full name substitution and prepending for several fandoms on FFNet, but I found that when you get into the mid-three digits, metadata processing starts to get quite a bit slower, so I culled it to just the ones that would save me the most time on balance. (If people want copies of Glee, Harry Potter (so many characters!), Heroes, Rizzoli & Isles, The Hollows - Kim Harrison or The L Word, let me know via PM. Actually, if dailyalice wants to host them, I can send them when I have some time to do a bit of sorting.)

Last edited by seabream; 11-04-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: I cut more from the excerpt than I should have, so I added a bit back.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #992
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
Trying to understand the syntax JimmXinu, apologies for my lack of certainty. I have read the Calibre faq section on regular expressions, but part of the question has to do with how FFDL parses.

characters=>(.+)=>Character.Transformers.\1&&categ ory=>Transformers
says:
Basically, I’m not sure whether “Character” is the destination, the class, or what.
This says: For metadata items in the 'characters' list only, and only if metadata list 'category' contains string Transformers, replace any non-empty character string "value" with "Character.Transformers.value".

replace_metadata changes the content of metadata, it doesn't specify it's 'destination'.

Adding 'Character.Transformers.' has something to do with hierarchical tags. I don't use them and cannot speak to that.

Frankly, you guys are getting into a level of complexity that is beyond what I want to think about. I'll help explain the mechanism, but you're going to have to figure out the details for yourselves.

Quote:
Also, note that some symbols, while similar don’t match in search strings. On AO3, for example, the tag _Jennifer “JJ” Jareau_ won’t match using the quotation mark generated using the keyboard writing in text edit. At a guess because it uses smart quotes. I haven’t gotten around to testing whether I can copy/paste the correct one.
Correct. Copy/pasting them should work fine. Or use a '.' instead of '"' and it will match either (or anything else).

Quote:
On character lists: When I was starting out, I did exhaustive character lists for full name substitution and prepending for several fandoms on FFNet, but I found that when you get into the mid-three digits, metadata processing starts to get quite a bit slower
Yes, huge numbers of replace_metadata lines and complex patterns will slow down FFDL. I did not anticipate anyone would go to the lengths you guys are (when do you have time to read? ). I can help speed it up some, possibly a lot, with some simple internal optimizations. I will investigate.
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #993
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's see if a brief review on how replace_metadata works will help.

replace_metadata lines can take one of three different forms.

The first and simplest is: pattern=>replacement

All metadata items that matches regexp 'pattern' will be replaced using the standard Python regexp library like so: "value = re.sub(pattern,replacement,value)"

So, for example, if you are offended by the word Furbie and never want to see it anywhere in your metadata, you do:
Code:
Furbie=>F*rbie
The second form is: metakey[,metakey]=>pattern=>replacement

The only difference is that you are limiting which metadata items the line will apply do by including one or more 'metakeys'.

Metakey is one of the metadata items defined by FFDL (category, genre, rating, etc) or added by extra_valid_entries.

So, for example, if you what Humor converted to Comedy in genre and category:
Code:
genre,category=>Humor=>Comedy
The third form is:
metakey[,metakey]=>pattern=>replacement&&conditionalkey=>condregex p

This essentially says, "For metadata items 'metakey', if metadata item 'conditionalkey' matches 'conditionalkey', replace 'pattern' with 'replacement'.

Now there are three conditions that must be true before the replacement is done. 1) It must be a metadata item 'metakey', 2) the value must match 'pattern' and 3) the value of metadata item 'conditionalkey' must match 'condregexp'.

Code:
 characters=>Sam W\.=>Sam Witwicky&&category=>Transformers
 characters=>Sam W\.=>Sam Winchester&&category=>Supernatural
Replacements are applied in order--so plan accordingly.

Another tip: If you want to be able to test your patterns without hitting your favorite stories again and again, you can use the fake test site and the extracharacters, extracategories, etc parameters. test1.com URLs will generate stories, but not go out to the network.

URL: http://test1.com?sid=12345

Code:
[test1.com]
extracharacters:Reginald Smythe-Smythe,Mokona,Harry P.

replace_metadata:
 characters=>Harry P\.=>Harry Potter
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #994
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I can help speed it up some, possibly a lot, with some simple internal optimizations. I will investigate.
Attached is a version that precompiles all the replace_metadata regexps. It should be faster when using lots of replace_metadata lines. Let me know if it helps any.

UPDATE(Nov5): attachment removed--there's a newer test version with this change farther down the thread. That version will also be removed after the next release.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-05-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #995
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
I've run into a couple of fanfics on ponyfictionarchive.net that didn't download properly. It was only a few, though, so it's probably some weird edge case. They're here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. The epubs that were generated just had the chapter title and none of the content.
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #996
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
I've run into a couple of fanfics on ponyfictionarchive.net that didn't download properly. It was only a few, though, so it's probably some weird edge case. They're here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. The epubs that were generated just had the chapter title and none of the content.
The attached version uses the less rigorous HTML parser of the two FFDL commonly uses for ponyfictionarchive.net. It works for me on most of the stories you reference above.

One does not, but that's because the author put the story text into the author's note instead of the chapter body.

ponyfictionarchive.net doesn't have any convenient wrapping tag to grab the author notes with the chapter text, so they haven't been included. If you can show more than the one story with this mistake, I'll look into ways to include the author notes, too.

UPDATE(Nov5): attachment removed--there's a newer test version with this change farther down the thread. That version will also be removed after the next release.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-05-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #997
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've encountered a problem with downloading fanfiction from potionsandsnitches...

The error-message says:
Nothing to download - Title: Unknown - Author: Unknown - URL: http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2662 - Comment: time data '16 09 2011' does not match format '%m %d %Y'

I tried various stories and it doesn't seem to be a problem with stories, that were only recently startet (e. g. http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2872 published 02 Nov 12 works)

Not working:
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=1958
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=1772
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2590
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2663
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2477
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2525
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2652
http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...y.php?sid=2571

Is there a possible solution or workaround for this?
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #998
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

It looks like potionsandsnitches.net has changed how they write dates.

Try the attached version, it works for me.

(This version also contains the ponyfictionarchive.net fix and replace_metadata optimizations.)

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-08-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #999
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hey, it works again.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1000
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Yes, huge numbers of replace_metadata lines and complex patterns will slow down FFDL. I did not anticipate anyone would go to the lengths you guys are (when do you have time to read? ). I can help speed it up some, possibly a lot, with some simple internal optimizations. I will investigate.
I haven't noticed a slow down, but I'm still adding my replace_metadata lines. I read fiction from a number of different sites. However, some sites give two or more different names for the same character. There's also inconsistencies in fandom names. When I search for a story in a particular fandom or with a particular character, I don't want to search through different tags to find it. Any optimization can't hurt and I'd be greatful for it.

Quote:
Let's see if a brief review on how replace_metadata works will help.

The first and simplest is: pattern=>replacement

All metadata items that matches regexp 'pattern' will be replaced using the standard Python regexp library like so: "value = re.sub(pattern,replacement,value)"
Quote:
The third form is:
metakey[,metakey]=>pattern=>replacement&&conditionalkey=>condregex p

This essentially says, "For metadata items 'metakey', if metadata item 'conditionalkey' matches 'conditionalkey', replace 'pattern' with 'replacement'.

Now there are three conditions that must be true before the replacement is done. 1) It must be a metadata item 'metakey', 2) the value must match 'pattern' and 3) the value of metadata item 'conditionalkey' must match 'condregexp'.

Code:
 characters=>Sam W\.=>Sam Witwicky&&category=>Transformers
 characters=>Sam W\.=>Sam Winchester&&category=>Supernatural
Replacements are applied in order--so plan accordingly.
Thanks for explaining it. It helps to see how the code works. Although, I'm still a little confused on the 3rd example, I understand what it does.

Quote:
Another tip: If you want to be able to test your patterns without hitting your favorite stories again and again, you can use the fake test site and the extracharacters, extracategories, etc parameters. test1.com URLs will generate stories, but not go out to the network.

URL: http://test1.com?sid=12345

Code:
[test1.com]
extracharacters:Reginald Smythe-Smythe,Mokona,Harry P.

replace_metadata:
 characters=>Harry P\.=>Harry Potter
This is good to know. I've got a few different replacements that I'm not sure how to do. Using a testing site can't hurt. I've been reading that site you recommended and trying to figure out how to do a replacement by looking for something that isn't in the string.

I'm also having problems with the text program I use to edit my personal.ini as that program is converting some of the special characters (like the 'u' in Yūgi) to basic characters. Do you use a text program to work on your personal.ini or do you only edit it in the plugin window? If you use another program, what do you use?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1001
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I'm also having problems with the text program I use to edit my personal.ini as that program is converting some of the special characters (like the 'u' in Yūgi) to basic characters. Do you use a text program to work on your personal.ini or do you only edit it in the plugin window? If you use another program, what do you use?
I either edit in the text box or use emacs. While I love emacs, I don't know that I'd recommend it to new users. It's rather old school.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #1002
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Could be worse, it could be vi =) Emacs is tolerable, however, depending on the operating system, I would recommend Notepad++ or Gedit.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #1003
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
Could be worse, it could be vi =) Emacs is tolerable, however, depending on the operating system, I would recommend Notepad++ or Gedit.
I've been using Notepad++. It takes the 'é', but it's been converting the 'ū' to 'u'. Unfortunately, that means that the plugin will not recognize a character with that letter. I'll check Gedit though.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #1004
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

My wife uses vi. We've agreed to disagree. :-)

Re: Notepad++, I haven't used it lately, but I expect that you somehow have to tell it you're editing a UTF8 file and then the other characters will work.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #1005
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.6.18 - 07 Nov 2012
  • Update potionsandsnitches.net date format.
  • Switch ponyfictionarchive.net from BeautifulStoneSoup to BeautifulSoup.
  • Precompile metadata_replace regexps for performance.
  • Change summary td to div in thehexfiles.net for table titlepages.
  • Tidy some more poor HTML on fictionalley.org
  • Honor begin/end chapters on update. For testing purposes.
Closed Thread