Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
bcarlson
Enthusiast
bcarlson began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Access to metadata of sideloaded books

I know the Nook does not do this (one of my complaints) but what reader does?

I would like to know which reader will allow a user to see the metadata that was edited in Calibre on a sideloaded book. Specifically I would like to know which reader will allow the user to see the "description" portion.
bcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
If you're editing the metadata with Calibre, Calibre can add the metadata to the beginning of the book when you convert that book. Just go to Preferences/Common Options/Structure Definitions and put a checkmark in the box that says "Insert metadata as page at start of book. You should be aware that when this option is checked, Calibre will put the metadata at the start of the book every time you convert that book. You can easily end up with the description repeated several times at the beginning of the book. Ask me how I know this.

As for which readers will see the metadata, I'm not aware of any that make the description available when you're looking at a list of your books. When sideloading with Calibre, Sony and Kindle readers both use series and tag information to put books into Collections. For readers that support folders, Calibre will create folders using metadata as part of saving to disk.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert