Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
kaikae
Pastafarian
kaikae began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Post Xinit

Hi there!

I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now, since I bought my iLiad and try to make it a demo interface for my projects since. I do already have the official SDK installed, and successfully compiled and tested some of the apps posted here and simple custom programs.

Here's what I'm trying to do.

Despite of the iLiad limitations wrt screen refreshes, I want to use it as a remote user interface. My work is based on wireless communications, so iLiad is just a portable, light-weight, simple and attractive interface for me. I'm trying to use it as an X terminal for a remote Xserver, having the processing capabilities of a big computer in a light interface.

I've tried using Adam's vncviewer both with the hacked Xlib and xepdmgr, but had problems refreshing the screen and with the user input (I had to show an onscreen kbd 'cos I didn't manage to use the native matchbox-keyboard). So I want to boot the iLiad by starting only xinit to query my Xserver.

I'm slowly working on it, but would like to get everybody's opinion and contribution in case somebody already did something similar
kaikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
I'm not familiar to starting in a device the xinit to query another Xserver. Could you post the command line to do so?

OTOH, what I've tested as working is having an xepdmgr running on the iliad, and in a laptop (1) export the display to the iliad screen and (2) launch some apps.

About the on-screen keyboard, what is the one you've used? I've had good experiences with xvkbd (not tested with the iliad, BTW).

And as for using an vnc viewer: if you're going that route it may be better to forget the X server, get pocketworkstation's fbvnc sources, adding there the display refresh ioctls and launch that instead of X. Links to the sources here:

http://www.pocketworkstation.org/fbvnc.html

I've used fbvnc in a zaurus to control a remote Xvnc via wifi and it was very resilient in regard to dropped packets.

Any outstanding questions?
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
kaikae
Pastafarian
kaikae began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
I'm not familiar to starting in a device the xinit to query another Xserver. Could you post the command line to do so?
The easiest one to manage is gdm, as all the config can be done from the Admin -> Login window setup. All you have to do is allow remote users to connect using XDMCP to your machine.
I'm testing now to connect from a Windows machine using Xming, at works fine. Most X servers allow the option -query <remotemachine> to connect to a remote client.

I would rather use X than vnc to allow simultaneous users to use the barebone, each with their own session started.

I've been installing debian on the main server, and I'm trying to optimize the config... Wish I'll start porting the app soon. Will keep you updated.
kaikae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xinit remote display