Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Nero Wolfe?

Anybody here a fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books?

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post

m a r
Me.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

m a r
absolutely!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Me too - but no sign of the fat man in ebook form yet!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Me too - but no sign of the fat man in ebook form yet!
Apart from the multiple copies available everywhere for free
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Try http://nero.wolfe.angelfire.com for more information.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

m a r
Yes, though I prefer the middle period books.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

I've managed to get all of them, in one form or another. I've formatted and read the first fifteen. Just formatted the sixteenth (Even in the Best Families) I miss my REB1100: easy to bookmark while reading and then edit.

It's been a few months since I read one. Looking forward to it.

Favorite titles/stories?

@DMcCunney: why the middle period (and what is it?)

m a r

ps: who owns the copyright? And how did you find it?

(Man's been dead for 34 years -- only another lifetime until he's part of the culture again! Except for that book they found in '85 -- that's gonna be available next century. Can't wait!)

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-14-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@DMcCunney: why the middle period (and what is it?)
Time period. The earliest books take place during prohibition. The last take place in the 60's. I like the ones set in the 40's and 50's.

Quote:
ps: who owns the copyright?
Author's estate, I think.
______
Dennis
Old 12-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
rogue_ronin
Banned

I think that's where I am then -- #16 is set in 1950, according to a blockquoted note in the text.

I do wish an excellent version could be assembled, proofread and distributed. In an alternate universe, maybe...

m a r
Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Tom Barrister
Tom Barrister began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can find many of the Nero Wolfe books in e-form at various places such as ebooks.com and Kindle.

The Angelfire collection is pirated. It's scanned and contains many errors and omissions. I'm surprised the Stout Estate hasn't asked Angelfire to take it down.

You can often find a lot of of some Stout/Wolfe novels (legally) on Google Books.

The best way to read Wolfe is to start with the first (Fer de Lance) and read them in chronological order. You can find the chronological order on Wikipedia.

"In the Best Families" was published in 1950. In it, Wolfe finally comes to terms with nemesis Arnold Zeck.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrister View Post
The Angelfire collection is pirated. It's scanned and contains many errors and omissions. I'm surprised the Stout Estate hasn't asked Angelfire to take it down.
The Stout Estate would have to be aware of it. It probably isn't. There are other pirated Nero Wolfe collections.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done a reissue program. The series is popular enough to have spawned some decent TV adaptations. (And an old friend and I used to have amusing discussions about who to cast as Wolfe, Goodwin, Fritz, Inspector Kramer, Sgt. Stebbins et al.)
______
Dennis
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Nero Wolfe books are great. I've noticed quite a few on Amazon in Kindle format. I agree with others that it's best to read in chronological order but you'll have to read some paperbacks to make that happen.

http://www.amazon.com/Rex-Stout/e/B0..._athr_dp_pel_1
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There are some also turning up at Overdrive serviced public libraries. If you have an Adobe ADE equipped DRM ePub reader -- like Kobo or Sony -- you may find your local library card will get you started with Nero Wolfe.

I also concur that starting with Fer-de-lance is a terrific idea: it's a fine story and lays the groundwork for the characters.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Wolfe rocks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote