Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
uncola
uncola began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 soon
Read without author name/book title at top?

Hi, I just got a kindle 1 refurb and I was wondering if there's a way to read a book without that author name at the top.. to maximize screen real estate for the text of the book...
uncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm not sure about the answer to your question, uncola, but would minimizing the size of the script help?

You'd get more content, but the type would be small.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
uncola

hehe I'm already using the smallest font. I just wish there was a way to make the book text full screen without the title at the top and the battery monitor/menu at the bottom. It's no big deal but I'm surprised there's no way to do it since it gives like 15% more screen space for the book
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
No way afaik unless you were to somehow hack the Amazon firmware (if that is even possible).

Perhaps contact Amazon with the suggestion, it seems like a great idea. The iPhone already has an interface like that (touch the screen to show/hide meta data for the current song). Could be something that we get for the next revision of the software.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I was listening to The Kindle Chronicles this afternoon, and heard a persuasive argument that any further upgrades to the Kindle were pretty unlikely except to fix problems. This is the source of the story:

http://blogkindle.com/

Last edited by JMikeD; 11-08-2009 at 06:40 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Giddeaon
Ex Libris....Vita
Giddeaon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I was listening to The Kindle Chronicles this afternoon, and heard a persuasive argument that any further upgrades to the Kindle were pretty unlikely except to fix problems. This is the source of the story:

http://blogkindle.com/
I wonder if the beta Amazon Kindle Desktop software is a feasible means of combating these prohibitive costs? If it incorporates an update feature that prompts people to connect their Kindle via USB in order to process the update it would effectively negate a majority of the transfer charges and allow Amazon to maximize profits while also providing firmware updates. Amazon could even make it so that if you want to update your device you MUST connect it to the PC and allow the desktop software to perform these functions. That would follow the standard for a lot of smart phones where you can choose to either leave it as is (never update) or use the desktop software (update whenever). If Amazon is looking to reduce whispernet or at&t charges for delivery - specifically by not providing updates through these pay services - the desktop software is the best way to go.

Thoughts?
Giddeaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
uncola

I think the iphone does a similar thing.. this sounds totally reasonable to me. I just manually updated my kindle 1 refurb from 1.1 to 1.2 and it was easy.. it seems like it updated itself from 1.0 to 1.1 over the air somehow the day I got it but it didn't detect the 1.2 update so I had to download it from amazon.com