Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
thsheng
thsheng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Battery drains fast after unbricking KT

I have a Kindle Touch that I have unbricked following the instructions in this forum ( due to freezing at the "Tree" screen ).

However, after this, I have experienced that the battery discharges very fast, sometimes within a day.

I am also unable to get the Kindle to a full charge. It only show 1 bar even though I have charge it overnight. The screen occasionally freezes too and I have to hard reset.

Please advise
thsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Lots of de-bricking instructions in this forum.
Which de-bricking instructions did you use and which image files?

You charge it overnight with what? Wall charger? USB port of something?

The more informative the question, the better chance people here can give you a specific answer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
thsheng

I used the instructions in Guide_to_debricking_Kindle_Touch_V3.pdf by silver18.

The image files I used were
mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img
kt_5.1.2-kernel-main.img

I used a wall charger to charge the Kindle overnight
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsheng View Post
I used the instructions in Guide_to_debricking_Kindle_Touch_V3.pdf by silver18.

The image files I used were
mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img
kt_5.1.2-kernel-main.img

I used a wall charger to charge the Kindle overnight
Did you flash the matching diags kernel for that diags ssh image? It is conspicuously missing from your list.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
thsheng

The guide sked me to used 5.0 images but I could not access gitbrew.org as it was dowm.

So I used the kt5.1.2 files:

kt_5.1.2-kernel-main.img and kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img. I thought
kt_5.1.2-kernel-main.img = kernel-kt-5.0.0.img and
kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img= mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img. Was I wrong ?

I used back mmcblk0p2_ssh.img that was downloaded from the indicated link in the guide. As there were no version number associated with it, I thought it will be ok for 5.1.2 as well

Last edited by thsheng; 08-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used back mmcblk0p2_ssh.img that was downloaded from the indicated link in the guide. As there were no version number associated with it, I thought it will be ok for 5.1.2 as well
different people name things in different ways so you have to use the text on the pastebin page as a guide to what is what.

mmcblk0p1 == file system for "Main"
mmcblk0p2 == file system for "Diag"

This model Kindle is a "dual boot" machine.
You need a matching kernel for the "Main" file system.
You need a matching kernel for the "Diag" file system.

Two (2) **different** kernel images.

Four (4) image files total.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use the 5.1.2 main images just fine (in fact, that is what I would use).

Just make sure that you use kernels that are compatible with their corresponding (main or diags) partition images.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
thsheng

i am confused now. So i will feed four images, 2 for main and 2 for diag.I downloaded the following from the links in pastebin

main kernel 5.1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?gkasbe46m84yk6x
mmcblk0p1 5.1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?5yj6l3cbcyic0k4
mmcblk0p1 5.1.2 (main+jb+kjb+ssh): http://www.mediafire.com/?5a7dla0fv9b35jc

I believe these 3 files are are the Main file system and the kernal

I also doenloaded mmcblk0p2_ssh.img from the link in silver18. This is the Diag system and I will need to look for a kernel file for it ? e.g something that says diags_kernel_5.0.0 from pastbin ?

Afterthat, I should
fastboot flash diags mmcblk02p2
fastboot flash kernel diag_kernel_5.0.0

then which file above should I do the dd=/mnt/us/....

main kernel 5.1.2 or mmcblk0p1 5.1.2 ?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

main kernel ... (You have that one correct)

mmcblk0p1 5.1.2 ...
mmcblk0p1 5.1.2 ...
Two variations of the "main" file system, pick only one of them (the second has some pre-installed hacks, the first one does not)

The kernel above and your choice of one (1) of the mmcblk0p1 images is the pair for "main".
The mmcblk0p1 image is too large for fastboot, that one you must copy with a dd command while the machine is running in diags mode.

Yes, you need to find a kernel that matches your choice of filesystem for the "diags" system.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
fastboot flash kernel diag_kernel_5.0.0
That command would incorrectly flash the diags kernel image onto the main kernel.

If you type "fastboot" with no parameters, it displays usage information, including the flash partition names:

kernel = primary kernel
diags_kernel = diags kernel

Now you need flash to the main (primary) kernel with a main kernel image, and the diags kernel with a diags kernel image.

Depending on what filenames you are using, your fastboot commands should look something like this:

fastboot flash kernel main_kernel_5.0.0.img
fastboot flash diags_kernel diag_kernel_5.0.0.img

You can also flash the diags partition with fastboot, but the main partition is too large, so you need to flash it with the "dd" command in a diags SSH command shell.

When using a guide, it is important that you follow the instructions in that guide. Those instructions were provided for a good reason, and setting off in your own direction contrary to those instructions can cause additional problems for you. I suggest that you follow the instructions in the guide more closely next time.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you type "fastboot" with no parameters, it displays usage information, including the flash partition names:

kernel = primary kernel
diags_kernel = diags kernel
Seeing this thread made me suspicious of my KT too. I've been usbnet-ing to it just with WiFi (no cable) last week and the charge just lasted 5 1/2 days. See here:

Code:
Kindle Touch test of battery life for {more-than-normal} wifi usbnet use (no usb cable attached):
Start with 100%: August 14, 2012
End with 10% August 19, 2012
Is it normal? Well, I know it's not a good question as it depends on how much Kindle's been used, but just wanted to ask to reassure.

I don't remember if I flashed it the right way or not, but when I check the version of kernel in main and diags, they are both:
Code:
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Tue Jul 17 16:55:47 PDT 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux
My suspicion is if my kernel_diags and my diags partition do match?!

P.S. I used mmcblk0p2_ssh but not sure which one from http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT.
P.S.S. Obviously my main is working + I can go to my diags and SSH there too, so no problem in terms of functionality... I'm just asking for battery issues (if it matters at all!)

@geekmaster: how can an unmatching kernel and image affect battery use?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-19-2012 at 08:50 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
use gasgauge-info

as demonstrated here

On a fully charged 3.

Code:
[root@kindle us]# gasgauge-info -s
94%
Mon Aug 20 02:09:06 2012  INFO:battery charge: 94%
[root@kindle us]#
well almost...

Code:
[root@kindle us]# gasgauge-info --help  
usage:
gasgauge-info [-cdhklms] [-i <seconds>] <registers...>
-c      output state of charge in percent
-d      dump all gas gauge registers
-h      help
-i s    interval (seconds)
-s      same as -c
-t      add a timestamp to dumps
-v      output battery voltage value
-l      output battery charge current (load)
-k      output battery temperature
-m      output battery available capacity (mAh)
Code:
[root@kindle us]# gasgauge-info -v      
4167 mV
Mon Aug 20 02:06:29 2012  INFO:battery voltage: 4167 mV
Code:
[root@kindle us]# gasgauge-info -l 
234 mA
Mon Aug 20 02:06:35 2012  INFO:battery current: 234 mA
Code:
[root@kindle us]# gasgauge-info -m
1702 mAh
Mon Aug 20 02:06:39 2012  INFO:battery current: 1702 mA
won't help fix anything but using the drain monitor on a couple of seconds timer could let you catch whatever is killing it in action. *maybe*

HTH

Last edited by twobob; 08-19-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added reason for blurb and hopefully helpful tips
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
@geekmaster: how can an unmatching kernel and image affect battery use?
No way that I can imagine at this time, unless there is some odd side-effect that prevents it from sleeping (or other power-saving processes) when it should.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

There are a number of ways.
Hard to tell from only seeing what is written, would take some hands-on examination of information exposed by both kernels (if, indeed, you have two different kernels).

The general area to look in is the clock and power speed controls. Those are exposed in the /sys tree of the file system.

The "main" kernel, kernel modules in the "main" file system, and settings in configuration files of the "main" file system will have the machine set in "Bragging Rights, Aggressive, Low Power Mode".
(That isn't the Linux name for it, that is what Amazon Marketing uses it for.)

The "Diags" kernel, kernel modules in the 'diag' file system, and setting in the configuration files of the 'diag' file system have no need for that mode. In fact, it may not even be available in the kernel built for the "Diags" system.

The machine is not expected to have any need to run for months on battery power in "Diags" - -
So it is reasonable to expect that in that boot mode, the clock and power scaling is probably set towards the "performance" end of the setting range.
OR - clock and voltage control might not even be included in that kernel.

So yes, it is possible.
It would take hands on the keyboard in both modes to run down if that is happening or not.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
It seems my battery available capacity (mAh) and charge current (load) is well less than yours!!! ?

Code:
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -s
97%
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -v
4137 mV
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -l
-77 mA
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -k
78 Fahrenheit
[root@kindle root]# gasgauge-info -m
1325 mAh
It's funny, right now it's connected to USB to be charged... and battery status is has decreased from 97% to 93%, it's not charging and LED is green.

Horribly off-topic : These hardware details make me anxious... My SD memory just stopped working and I'm so glad I took all my photos off of it just 2 days ago!!! Apparently, there's a number of times these memories are expected to be accessed and then they'll die! If this is true for Kindles, some day the documents we have on it (not synced with cloud) can be lost!

Goddamn 1: who gave me Karma... I was posting crap, so number of my post and karma would be 222, and 22222! Ahhh, lost dream geekmaster.

Goddamn 2: I forgot English term for life expectancy in bulb industry and Google search got me no where. Either I've become less-patient over the years, or Google searches have become less useful, relevant and to-the-point than the days with simple-Google!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote