Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Anyone Else Concerned About the "Up to 8 Hours" Battery Spec. for Kindle Fire?

From the Kindle Fire product page:

"Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content." [Emphases mine.]

With the emphasis on media consumption for this device, it seems that the upper limit in this description might be very iffy. And even at eight hours, it would greatly reduce the accuracy of this as a "mobile" device, at least for me.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
That's the nature of a tablet with an lcd screen.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not concerned at all.
Of course, I'm not buying one either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Not really. If I spend more than 8 hours a day using that thing then I need to get a life! Geez, 8 hours is a traditional work day. My iPad claims 10 hours but it typically lasts no more than 8.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
My first generation iPod Touch can't even last 5 hours of straight use.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not concerned at all.
Of course, I'm not buying one either.

Touche.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm considering a Kindle Fire, but the battery life doesn't really concern me. It'd be nice if it was a bit longer than the iPad's, and I'm not sure why it isn't. But, eight hours is enough.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not really. If I spend more than 8 hours a day using that thing then I need to get a life! Geez, 8 hours is a traditional work day. My iPad claims 10 hours but it typically lasts no more than 8.

I don't think I'm likely to spend more than eight hours either, but if I'm away from home, and the effective battery life is really closer to five hours, it becomes problematic if downloading or streaming much at all. With regard to the iPad, that may be part of my problem is that I might be conditioned by the fact that for the first 15 months I had it, I was getting the advertised 10 hours per day (now at around 7). But, time will tell. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Literati last 6 hrs just reading a book! So 8 hrs great! My tiny TV last 90 mins to 2 hrs! So for 7.5 hrs seems great again! I wondering IF you can buy extra batteries & change them yourself..... anyone know at this point in time?? I dont take time to recharge batteries LOL I have extras & change the batteries themself! In Most of my devices!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm right with you there.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Literati last 6 hrs just reading a book! So 8 hrs great! My tiny TV last 90 mins to 2 hrs! So for 7.5 hrs seems great again! I wondering IF you can buy extra batteries & change them yourself..... anyone know at this point in time?? I dont take time to recharge batteries LOL I have extras & change the batteries themself! In Most of my devices!
From everything I've seen, it looks to have a sealed/non-user-replaceable battery.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
From the Kindle Fire product page:

"Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content." [Emphases mine.]

With the emphasis on media consumption for this device, it seems that the upper limit in this description might be very iffy. And even at eight hours, it would greatly reduce the accuracy of this as a "mobile" device, at least for me.
They expect you to play video with wireless OFF? How? By downloading the whole movie first? Duh.

They also say the k3 gets 2 months battery. I never get it to last 1 month, let alone 2. Two weeks is stretching it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, I've had 1st, 2nd, and 4th Gen iPod touches and none of them last more than 5 hours. I'm not sure they will even last that long! Sometimes my iPad 1 will drain that quickly too.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
not really. it wont leave home.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
What do you expect for an LCD display?
I'm sure it matches comparable devices for battery.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote