Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
PVI (eInk) to Ship Plastic Screens in 2010

From http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3963166-e...nclick_check=1

Quote:

A key technology supplier to the Amazon Kindle electronic reader plans to launch a lightweight plastic screen next year that is expected to make the products less likely to break and pave the way for their large-scale introduction in schools and colleges.

Prime View International, a Taiwanese company that is the biggest supplier of the screens used in e-readers - and which are currently based on glass - intends to introduce a plastic-based screen in the spring that it would make available to all its customers including Amazon.

The US internet retailer yesterday said it did not want to comment on any plans it might have for introducing a plastic-based version of the Kindle.

(via http://kindleworld.blogspot.com)
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We've known about this for a long, long time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Really? Any links to previous announcements? This is definitely news to me, unless I've been ignoring all plastic e-ink threads here.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There was an announcement in the summer, I believe it was, from PVI, that they'd set up (or were setting up) a new production line for the plastic screens. I'll try to find it. It is good to hear, though, that they seem to finally be coming on stream!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
anurag
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There was an announcement in the summer, I believe it was, from PVI, that they'd set up (or were setting up) a new production line for the plastic screens. I'll try to find it. It is good to hear, though, that they seem to finally be coming on stream!
I just found some rumors from January 09: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37026

But it looks like this is the first time they've officially announced plastic plans. With the QUE demo in January, they must be under pressure from Amazon etc.
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wonder if setting up this new production line has had any impact on their current production of glass screens?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Kudos to you anurag. I've heard rumors, and knew the industry was moving in that direction, but it's great to hear that PVI is announcing something definitive. I'm looking forward to seeing a Kindle 3 built on this technology.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
According to the article, it looks like the screen size is the same as the Kindle DX's screen size (9.7 inches, 246.38 mm). They also mentioned the difference in weight. The current Kindle DX weighs 18.9 oz. (535 g.) and a device built on the new screen is expected to weigh about 11.6 oz. (330 g.). This is roughly about the weight of the Kindle 2 (10.2 oz., 289 g.).

I don't know if I would upgrade my current Kindle DX, but if they added SD card support like they have with the Kindle 1 -- I just might.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote