Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I know there is an issue with the Sony 505 in this respect. If the library software is not loaded on the pc it doesn't charge, it just discharges. Same with a wall usb charger. I'm thinking the Kindle may be the same, that's why I asked this question.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
bloovis
bloovis began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
I just received my K2i today, and also experienced the same sluggishness and unresponsiveness when trying to charge it using a Belkin Mini Surge, which has two USB ports. I didn't have to restart the Kindle, though; connecting it to the Amazon charger cleared up the problem.

This is disappointing, since I was hoping to carry just one USB charger (the Belkin) for all my devices on an upcoming plane trip.
bloovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Amazon dont supply the charger with Australian kindles, and wall chargers dont work. You have to charge it through a laptop, which is an absolute pain as I dont carry one with me!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Amazon dont supply the charger with Australian kindles, and wall chargers dont work.
Strange - two different ones have worked perfectly for me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #20
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just (finally) tried my Kindle2 (non-international) with my Astak wall wart and the Kindle cable and it seemed to work..
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it is. So far, no-one seems to have had any luck with generic chargers.

I tried a standard 5V, 0.5 A , which didn't work. Didn't bother to try my ipod one. I found out my travel adapter set had an adaptor that would fit, and it works fine with the original Kindle charger. It's nice to have, but normally I just charge from the computer anyway. Can't imagine when it would be necessary.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you tell us exactly what make and type these chargers are? This could be very useful for the rest of us.

The one I tried is the standard TomTom GPS wall charger (5v, 1.0A, USB output socket). As I've said elsewhere, it appears to work but

a) it leaves the Kindle in an unresponsive state (ie keys have to be held down to work)
b) the charging icon (thunderflash) persists after the charge lead is removed.

Last edited by allenlux; 10-25-2009 at 01:56 PM.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlux View Post
Can you tell us exactly what make and type these chargers are? This could be very useful for the rest of us.

The one I tried is the standard TomTom GPS wall charger (5v, 1.0A, USB output socket). As I've said elsewhere, it appears to work but

a) it leaves the Kindle in an unresponsive state (ie keys have to be held down to work)
b) the charging icon (thunderflash) persists after the charge lead is removed.
And what usb cable - that might have bearing.

The only "micro" usb connector I have is the one that came with my kindle2 and as I said above it seemed to work fine when used with my Astak wall wart.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-25-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #24
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And what usb cable - that might have bearing.
I"ll Second the check the cable suggestion. I've often run into issues with USB cables which will often only work with Wall charges or only with computers. Withe other being able to use Wall chargers, it could be the issue.

Getting a hold of a micro USB cable may be a little more of an issue as they are still not as common as Mini USB cables. Still Most Electronic stores seem to carry them now, thought often quiet overpriced. Online prices are usually reasonable.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For those of you outside of the U.S. maybe this device from Gomadic will be helpful with your new Kindles.

I use this quad charger at home with appropriate tips for my cell phone, Kindle 1 and 2, and iPod Touch. It comes with adapters for various countries.

Quote:
• Charging adapter works with both foreign and domestic outlets (100-240 Volts AC).
• Includes four plug adapters for use anywhere in the world
• Advanced internal circuitry prevents device from power surges; overcharging and short-circuiting.
• Removable cable tips allow cable to be used for other devices.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
For those of you outside of the U.S. maybe this device from Gomadic will be helpful with your new Kindles.

I use this quad charger at home with appropriate tips for my cell phone, Kindle 1 and 2, and iPod Touch. It comes with adapters for various countries.

If I could find somewhere to buy something like this from inside EU that would be the ticket. No duty, taxes and fees.

(I've already found out my travel adapter set + original Kindle charger works OK, but for those who don't ... )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
It is very annoying that you cant see thekindle is not charging properly when it is plugged in. The only way you can tell is to take out the USB and see if the battery meter has moved at all.
My K2 (an old pre-international version) has a small light near the microUSB connector on the bottom which turns green when the unit is being charged. Doesn't the new K2 have that light?

BTW I've never taken my charger along with me on any trips shorter than a week. The battery usually lasts over 10 days and I use the reader every day for at least two or three hours. On longer trips I do carry the USB cord so I can move new books onto the reader from my laptop. I carry the laptop on longer trips since I like to read e-mail and check my finances on my own secure machine.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
My K2 (an old pre-international version) has a small light near the microUSB connector on the bottom which turns green when the unit is being charged. Doesn't the new K2 have that light?

Wondering this as well....
Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #29
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Just to be clear to the most recent posters:

1) it's not a problem of just finding the right physical connectors - that's dead easy. The issue is that even with the right physical connector, most USB wall chargers seem to cause a malfunction in the Kindle 2 as shipped in Europe. This malfunction (of the symptoms are described above) is reversible by rebooting and charging with the Amazon charger.

2) the Kindle appears to charge when attached to any USB wall charger, in that the charging symbol appears and the charging light is on. That is not the problem (see above).

By the way, the charging light is yellow while charging and green when fully charged (Kindle User Guide p9 and p22).

I suspect that the issue is related to the fact that the Kindle needs a more sophisticated type of USB wall charger which uses a resistance between the D+/D- pins and/or the ID pin to signal to the Kindle that it is connected to a "good" charger. Probably we'll see more "good" chargers as the new standard type of USB chargers for mobile phones - which also use a micro-USB connector - come onto the market. See the reference to "Universal Charger Solution" here. If somebody actually owns a charger conforming to the new standard - I believe some Blackberries use them - it would be most interesting to know if it works with the Kindle 2.

Last edited by allenlux; 10-25-2009 at 04:26 PM.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #30
kennyc

Yes, I think that is what we've been saying.