Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MTP support: Testers needed

Hi all,

This weeks' calibre release (0.8.69) contains beta MTP drivers. MTP drivers allow calibre to connect via USB cable to devices that dont show up as a disk drive. Examples of such devices are newer Android phones/tablets, like the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD.

calibre has drivers that work (I hope) on Windows Vista and newer and Linux. On Windows XP you may be able to get it to work by installing Windows Media Player 11 or newer and rebooting your computer. There is no support for OS X.

To enable the beta drivers, go to Preferences->Pugins and click the Plugin Tweaks button in the bottom right. Type the following text into the box:

Code:
test_mtp_driver = True
Click the OK button and then click the Apply button in the top left corner, and restart calibre. Your MTP device should now be detected.

These drivers are beta quality, use them only if you are willing to help test and debug problems.

You should be able to browse the files on the device, send files to the device, delete files from the device and add files from the device to your calibre library. You can check where on the device a particular book is by clicking on the books' entry in the calibre device view, the path to the file will show up in the book details panel on the right.

The device driver is highly customizable. To customize it, simply right click on the device icon in the calibre toolbar (with your device connected) and select configure this device. You can change:
  • The list of formats to send to the device
  • Where on the device to put files
  • The template used to create filenames from metadata
  • You can tell calibre to ignore a particular MTP device. Since most MP3 players are MTP devices, this is useful to get calibre to ignore them.
  • Create rules that tell calibre to put files of different formats in different folders (format routing).

These drivers are very new and I have only done a limited amount of testing, on Linux and Windows 7, with one Android 2.3 and one 4.1 device, so there will likely be problems.
  • If your device is not detected and you are on windows or linux, go to Preferences->Miscellaneous->Click debug device detection and post the output
  • If calibre does not show all the books that are on your device, you will have to disconnect and reboot the device, the books should then be listed.
  • For problems while interacting with the device, restart calibre in debug mode by right clicking the preferences button and post the debug log.

*The reason there is no support for OS X is that Apple does not support MTP and the open source MTP libraries that are used in linux have problems on OS X (they cause memory leaks and hang on computers with certain USB devices)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-16-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't see a Plugins Tweak button....
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Kovid,

I just tried it with my Samsung Galaxy SPlus ('GT-I9001'), running Android 2.3.5 in 'MediaPlayer' USB mode.

It's recognized, but as soon as I actually try to do something with it (as in clicking the Device icon to list books on it), I get 'Error communicating with device' with the following details:

calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

local variable 'p' referenced before assignment

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 450, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 144, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 120, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 222, in filesystem_cache
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\filesystem_cache.py", line 207, in __init__
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'p' referenced before assignment

And the screen remains blank. Afterwards I can click on the Device or Card A buttons, but nothing happens; the screen remains blank.

Trying to configure it gets me a ThreadingViolation error with the following details:

calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ThreadingViolation</b>:You cannot use the MTP driver from a thread other than the thread in which startup() was called

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device_drivers\mtp_config.py ", line 249, in browse
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 205, in filesystem_cache
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 32, in check_thread
ThreadingViolation: You cannot use the MTP driver from a thread other than the thread in which startup() was called

Let me know if you need any more info or if you want me to try anything.

Edit: by 'configuring it' I meant trying to add a format-specific send directory rule.

Last edited by mbovenka; 09-14-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I don't see a Plugins Tweak button....
Preferences -> Tweaks -> Plugin Tweaks (at the bottom of the screen).
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duh... I missed that!
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

For what it's worth my Nokia dumb phone is correctly seen
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mbovenka: looks like your device has some files whose parent folders dont exist. I've add code to handle that, if you can run from source, the fix is already committed, otherwise I'll upload a build with the fix in a bit.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For what it's worth my Nokia dumb phone is correctly seen
Yeah I am going to have to implement some kind of popup the first time a device is detected that asks the user to confirm they want the mtp device handled by calibre, otherwise all the phones/cameras/music players will get detected.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mbovenka: I re-uploaded the 0.8.69 build with the fix, so if you re-download and re-install that error will hopefully go away.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Hopskinny
Enthusiast
Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wow, that works! Using WinXP (with WMP11 installed), I:
1) Installed Calibre v0.8.69.
2) Edited the plug in tweak as instructed, forgetting to hit apply.
3) Tried again and did it properly this time.
4) Calibre told me to restart Calibre, and I always do what I am told.
5) Calibre recognised my Nexus 7 running Android 4.1.1. It wouldn't before this.
6) I instructed Calibre to show books in the main memory of the device, and it listed absolutely everything on the Nexus 7.
7) I went back to the Calibre library on my PC, and instructed Calibre to send a book to the device that wasn't already on there, and it did as it was told. Good Calibre!

Well, it is working in WinXP for me! Thank you for your amazing work! Do you want me to test any other function of this latest version, Kovid?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Hopskinny: Good to hear, I dont have an XP system to test on, so I had no idea if it would work.

Test these things as well:

1) Deleting books from the device. In particular check that empty folders are removed after deleting the last book in a folder.

2) Switch to the device view in calibre and right click books to add them to the calibre library, or view them from the device directly by clicking the "Click to open" link in the book details panel on the right.

And, of course, if you feel like configuring where on the devices the files go you can play with the driver settings by right clicking the device icon and selecting "configure this device".
Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Hopskinny
Enthusiast
Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, like the curate's egg.

2) Worked fine. I could add books to the Calibre library, and view them from the device both ways.

1) I told it to delete a book from the device, and it appeared to do so. It is certainly no longer showing up when Calibre views books in the main memory of the device. However, when I go to the device itself, it is still showing and readable in Mantano Reader.

I wonder whether this is because of the way I added books to the Nexus in the first place? Given that I could not get Calibre to connect with the Nexus, I just copied the books from my Calibre library into a directory owned by Mantano Reader (using the USB cable). Could Calibre remove a book from that directory?

If I had the courage, I would remove all books from the Nexus and start all over again, but at the moment I am too scared to try!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It may be that Mantano maintains a private copy of the books you open in it. There isn't much calibre can do about that. You could use a reader program that does not do this, I believe Moon+ is one such.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
Hopskinny
Enthusiast

OK Kovid, with heart in mouth, I deleted all of the books in the Mantano library. I then used Calibre to send all books in the Calibre library to the Nexus 7. I then told Mantano to import all of the books into its library after I had found them in the directory where they had been placed by Calibre.

I then told Calibre on the PC to delete one of those books, and I checked in the correct directory and it had gone. However, it is still in Mantano Reader, so I suspect that you are right about Calibre not being able to mess with the Mantano 'private library'.

However, all is working well, despite the fact that it now seems that I have double copies of all my books - one set in the download directory and the other in Mantano! Oh well, I will worry about that if I start to run out of space...

Thanks again. John
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Win 7 and Google Nexus device shows in Win 7 my computer but not in Calibre.

Version: 0.8.69
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a36&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a39&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a35&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a38&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a34&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a37&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3a&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3c&rev0000',
u'usb\\vid_045e&pid_0039&rev_0300',
u'usb\\vid_051d&pid_0002&rev_0101',
u'usb\\vid_0e97&pid_090b&rev_0132',
u'usb\\vid_0e97&pid_090b&rev_0132&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_0e97&pid_090b&rev_0132&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_0e97&pid_090b&rev_0132&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_18d1&pid_4e41&rev_9999']
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 85, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_COLOR JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KINDLE_FIRE KOBO
LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY
NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2 ODYSSEY ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL
PDNOVEL_KOBO PI2 PICO PLAYBOOK POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK622 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1
README S60 SHINEBOOK SMART_DEVICE_APP SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH
SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED
VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER