Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #1051
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
BTW, there's quite a few differences between a duster and a trench coat.

Dusters are designed for riding horses, to help keep the dust stirred up by the horse off the rider's clothes.

What I imagine may have gone through the artists mind...

"Hmm, this summary the publisher sent for the art says he wears a duster. Isn't that like a trench coat? Doesn't say anything about a hat... but he's a wizard and wizards wear hats but he's a present day wizard so pointy is right out..."
You look in the stories and there's no hat on Harry. So who approved the cover art? That person needs to be fired. I can understand when a cover is not accurate because it's a collage of parts of the book. That I can deal with no problem. But to get very simple details wrong like the leather duster and no hat, that's wrong and heads should roll.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #1052
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The first book has the working title of "The Aeronaut's Windlass" and will be of a similar length to The Furies of Calderon ...
Let's hope it's better than the utter garbage that was the "Codex Alera" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #1053
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Aeronaut's Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
The first book has the working title of "The Aeronaut's Windlass" and will be of a similar length to The Furies of Calderon ...
Let's hope it's better than the utter garbage that was the "Codex Alera" series.
Aw, come on Harry, at least call it enjoyably entertaining 'garbage'. After all 'garbage' is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I get the impression that this steampunk thing has moved to the back burner.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #1054
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool FanLit interviews fantasy artist Chris McGrath

Quoted from fantasyliterature.com, FanLit interviews fantasy artist Chris McGrath.

Quote:
Some really good books in your list. On the topic of favorite books, some my personal favorites are the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. That’s a series I believe you are familiar with. As a Dresden fan I am required by law to ask this question, which I know is one that you have gotten a lot: What’s up with the hats on Harry Dresden covers, and how much crap do Butcher fans give you over it? I’ve never seen a book signing where Jim doesn’t get asked that question. He always says the publisher has Chris put the hat on Harry.

Chris: The Butcher fans have been very kind to me. They could rip me apart, but for some reason they seem happy with the covers for the most part. They have even come to accept the hat. But I do see a lot of questions on the forum regarding the hat. I try to answer that and the staff questions when I can, but it seems that the older forum members take care of that these days. I’d like to say “Thanks!” to them. It gets tiring. I know how Jim feels. But one last time ;-) yes, the publisher wanted the hat on Harry because it has a more eye-catching and iconic look, even though it was a mistake at first. But it seems to have worked and it does look more mysterious.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #1055
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to head on over to the forum and ask what's up with the duster.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #1056
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher Marscon Q&A Parts 1-7

To be able to see this video full-screen, go here.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #1057
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You look in the stories and there's no hat on Harry. So who approved the cover art? That person needs to be fired. I can understand when a cover is not accurate because it's a collage of parts of the book. That I can deal with no problem. But to get very simple details wrong like the leather duster and no hat, that's wrong and heads should roll.
Maybe Jim Butcher approved the cover art.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #1058
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hat & Duster

Check this webpage out! Not really my impression of the physicality of any of the people, but the costumes are kinda' interesting!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #1059
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Check this webpage out! Not really my impression of the physicality of any of the people, but the costumes are kinda' interesting!
The hat and the gloves have to go.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #1060
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
IIRc, Harry wears a glove on his left hand after burning it. Still, only Harry "Cover Art" Copperfield Dresden wears a hat.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #1061
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I always picture Molly more like Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette) from NCIS. I don't know why, even the hair color is wrong, but it stuck with me for some reason.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1062
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
**sigh** I come back and the first thing I hear is a complaining penguin. I've missed you, Jon.

Just over two months... Finally! Now I can stop hoarding Ghost Story and actually read it, knowing the next is just around the corner. Then I will hoard Cold Days, because I seem to be uncomfortable without at least one Dresden in the chute.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #1063
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Glad to see you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
**sigh** I come back and the first thing I hear is a complaining penguin. I've missed you, Jon.

Just over two months... Finally! Now I can stop hoarding Ghost Story and actually read it, knowing the next is just around the corner. Then I will hoard Cold Days, because I seem to be uncomfortable without at least one Dresden in the chute.
Ugh, that sounds horribly frustrating!

Oh, and I've missed you!!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #1064
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

I'm just saying what is. Read the stories and you'll notice the errors in most of the covers.

I've just finished reading Blood Rites. I rather enjoyed the character development.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1065
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ugh, that sounds horribly frustrating!

Oh, and I've missed you!!
I've missed you too! And Nyssa, and Bizzy, and... okay, let's just go with "everyone".

My main laptop was acting up and went from annoying to not-really-working, and the one I used in the meantime is okay but not for a lot of typing, so with the exception of Goodreads I wasn't doing much forum-type stuff. But the laptop has been to Texas for warranty repair and is now back as of yesterday. And here I am.

Before I sent the laptop in I imaged it then reinstalled Windows/drivers. Then they reinstalled it again while working on it. Instead of restoring the image, I decided to start fresh. First things I re-installed? Outlook, Chrome, calibre, Scrivener. All else can wait.

Yes, holding back the last Dresden until the next one is due can be frustrating, but it's also comforting. I will always have one more to read. I'm weird about books. And I can't re-read unless it's been 6 or 7 years, and I just started the series last year, so that won't work for getting Dresden doses.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy