Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
anamardoll, I'd say you're probably wrong and Apple are no worse than any other... look at recent patent sales where Apple are in partnership with their "supposed" enemy, Microsoft etc. Google being investigated in the US by the FTC for their possible monopolistic and unfair practices... and the list goes on...

I do expect now to be attacked by the anti-Apple brigade but they may care to note that I don't have an iPad, I have an Android tablet... I don't have an iPhone, I have a Galaxy II S... i do have a Mac... and a Fujitsu-Siemans PC and Sony eReaders... and, strangely enough, i get what I want to do a job regardless of brand, bit innovative as an idea but that's it...

And bad is really subjective especially when you don't get to be a BIG company by being nice to all and sundry but by beating your competitors and supplying things that you can convince people that they want or need...

Last edited by elcreative; 08-11-2011 at 11:18 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I *think* I said that I believe Apple to be behaving more badly than Samsung. I don't think I brought up Microsoft, Sony, Google, etc. (I *did* accuse Dell of killing puppies, but that was utterly tongue-in-cheek and Dell was selected at random. No offense to Dell.)

I should probably limit any further remarks of my own on this subject because I didn't intend to derail into a BOYCOTT APPLE discussion. We should all make our own purchase decisions, and for me, this sort of suit irks me. That's all I have to add on that matter, lest a flame war accidentally begin.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Harry, I realize it's not the fault of the court -- that's why I say they should have the option to review the patent at time of suit and say "no, this patent is ridiculous".
Well, at least in the UK, what tends to happen is this:
Company A sues company B for violating a patent.
Company B responds that they don't violate it, but also counterclaims for revocation of the patent on as many grounds as they can think of, normally including lack of inventive step and obviousness over <other published works>.
So in effect the judge does get to decide both sides of the argument, as he can declare the patent invalid by upholding any of the counterclaims.
That is why suing to enforce patents isn't the no-brainer people might think it is, as you can end up losing all value from your patent.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I do expect now to be attacked by the anti-Apple brigade but they may care to note that I don't have an iPad, I have an Android tablet... I don't have an iPhone, I have a Galaxy II S...
Well, you are lucky you could get them. If Apple get its way, there will be no android tablets and certainly no Galaxy on the market in the next years, so it will be either Iphone and Ipad or nada.

I like Apple, we have an iphone and an ipad professionally, privately we are using Android devices, and we are very happy with this combo. But I want to still be able to choose.

BTW, there is no anti-Apple brigade on MR, that won't do.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This American Life recently had a very informative show about the fundamental problems in the patent system. It focused on software patents in the U.S., but I think it's a broader problem in electronic products in general.

Patents, like copyright, have drifted so far from their original intent that I think we should just toss the entire system and start over.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #21
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
This American Life recently had a very informative show about the fundamental problems in the patent system. It focused on software patents in the U.S., but I think it's a broader problem in electronic products in general.

Patents, like copyright, have drifted so far from their original intent that I think we should just toss the entire system and start over.
amen to that.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Well, you are lucky you could get them. If Apple get its way, there will be no android tablets and certainly no Galaxy on the market in the next years
Not true...they want them out there, otherwise the chance of antitrust action against Apple grows.

What Apple wants is for their functionality and usefulness to dwindle.

The Touchpad seems like it has a better chance of being an iPad competitor than anything the Android group has put together -- I wonder if Apple will go after them.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
could a moderator merge the two threads, this one and the one in the Android forum? Someone here said to use the Android forum one and then someone there just said use this one.

Interesting article on Community Design and Apple

http://www.osnews.com/story/25056/Th...Was_Bad/page2/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
That reminds me of the joke:

"What do you call 2,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?"

"A good start."

How do you save a drowning lawyer?
  • you don't
  • take your foot off his head
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Well, you are lucky you could get them. If Apple get its way, there will be no android tablets and certainly no Galaxy on the market in the next years, so it will be either Iphone and Ipad or nada.

I like Apple, we have an iphone and an ipad professionally, privately we are using Android devices, and we are very happy with this combo. But I want to still be able to choose.

BTW, there is no anti-Apple brigade on MR, that won't do.
Hmmm, must be reading some different posts but I figured "I hate Apple" was an anti-Apple remark and it has been used in various threads, even resulting in mini-flame wars and discontinuation of some threads... but I'm happy there's no anti-Apple brigade, anti-anything (for the sake of it) is usually counter-productive and downright boring...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I think the objection would be to the "brigade" concept. For instance, I hate Apple's recent behavior and I've openly stated I don't plan to buy their products in the future. That doesn't, however, make me part of some kind of organized group of Apple Haters where we all operate by hive mind.

(And now I'm thinking of Harris' famous quote that an atheist is just like anyone else, but believes in one fewer god than most people do. )

I fully endorse scrapping the patent system and starting over to make it what it was intended to be rather than the mess it has become.

I wonder how the Netherlands rejection of the injunction will affect sales? If I thought I had a very small window in which to buy the Tab, I'd probably jump on it...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Hmmm, must be reading some different posts but I figured "I hate Apple" was an anti-Apple remark and it has been used in various threads, even resulting in mini-flame wars and discontinuation of some threads... but I'm happy there's no anti-Apple brigade, anti-anything (for the sake of it) is usually counter-productive and downright boring...
I was being sarcastic . Apple critics are not welcome here, which I deplore, but since I don't want to be banned, I will not explain further.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apple critics are not welcome here
Sure they are.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I think one is being incredibly naive if one thinks that this is a case of Apple "misbehaving." This type of monopolistic, rent-seeking behavior is exactly how corporations are compelled to act given the dynamics of capitalism. If they did not act in this way, they would be limiting their own growth. The fundamental directive for any corporation is to maximize profit. Patents are an excellent means of doing this for various reasons: they allow one to seek license payments without actually having to engage in productive activities (rent), they can be used to marginalize competition and maintain one's market share, and, once the system of patents is in place, they can be used to immunize oneself against infringement by means of 'Mutually Assured Destruction.' Yes, there are lawsuits, but often these are settled out of court and involve an exchange of licenses. If you find this pattern of behavior disgusting, the problem is with capitalism, not with the actions of individual companies.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
RockdaMan
Banned

Good post luq. And both Google and MS have done the same thing...

Again, Apple took the legal way to address what they felt was a wrong. Let the judges decide.

I mean, they could have hired a bunch of super-spies to sneak into HTC, Samsung and Motorola's research centers and blow them up, but they didn't do that.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.