Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #31
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have anything old enough to warrant me scanning them. Plus I'm sure if I do, I could always spend a little and get a digital copy of it without me spending countless hours and hundreds of dollars on hardware and software in order to save a few dead-tree books.
I have some books that I may re-read in paper format because I will not pay for it in ebook format. And, yes, I could probably find a pirated copy for free. But I have the book so why bother?

On the other hand I have some old books that cost all of 45 cents. When they were new that is. Some are fiction, science fiction, and hard to find history books. None of them will ever be converted to ebook format.

But you are right, spending a few hundred dollars on hardware to convert them is a bit too much.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #32
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I have some books that I may re-read in paper format because I will not pay for it in ebook format. And, yes, I could probably find a pirated copy for free. But I have the book so why bother?

On the other hand I have some old books that cost all of 45 cents. When they were new that is. Some are fiction, science fiction, and hard to find history books. None of them will ever be converted to ebook format.

But you are right, spending a few hundred dollars on hardware to convert them is a bit too much.
That would fall to personal preference. Unless the withering book was one of high quality paper and printing, I probably would get a ebook of it. Though if it were high quality, I'd probably want to replace it with a same or better quality hardcopy.

Of all the ones on my shelf, the few that I have from Lulu would probably be the ones worth saving since they're printed on better paper, used good ink, from a fairly unknown author, and might have a higher chance of being rare. I also have fond memories and emotions attached it while I was reading the paperback.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There's an old romance series long out of print that I plan converting to ebooks just because I want electronic versions. In all the years I've searched I've only found one of the books available on the Darknet. I've also spent a bit of time checking second hand sources for the books and finally filled out my collection. You can imagine how fragile some of these books are since they were cheap paperbacks when first published in the 60's and 70's. Scanning really is the only way for me to preserve the content.

I also have some older SF books from the 1970's that I will also scan for my personal use.

I have the OpticBook and it works great for my light use. OCR is the weak link but I'm happy when I have only an error or two per page.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #34
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I wish I could find the John R. Maxim books electronically - alas. Nada.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #35
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
For anyone that jumped on the Opitcbook 3600 when I first posted, consider yourselves lucky! I was waiting until February to buy one myself, but when I went back to Tigerdirect, the price had changed from $209 to $249. The one sitting in my shopping cart still showed $209, but changed to $249 when I tried to check out. Cheapest price now is a place called PCNation.com at $224.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #36
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Another one is the Lanny Budd series by Upton Sinclair.

Took me forever to find copies of them all in the used market. A small publisher has bought the print rights, but this publisher specializes in small volume, high quality (and high cost), so the changes of every seeing them in a bookstore new are pretty much zip.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #37
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
For anyone that jumped on the Opitcbook 3600 when I first posted, consider yourselves lucky! I was waiting until February to buy one myself, but when I went back to Tigerdirect, the price had changed from $209 to $249. The one sitting in my shopping cart still showed $209, but changed to $249 when I tried to check out. Cheapest price now is a place called PCNation.com at $224.
When I bought mine last year from TigerDirect it was $249, and I considered it (and still do) a good price. The $209 must have been a special holiday season offer.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
For anyone that jumped on the Opitcbook 3600 when I first posted, consider yourselves lucky!
My Opticbook has arrived. I put up some pictures.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=326
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #39
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
Thank you for sharing photos of the Optibook, thinkpadx - I definitely want to get one
Let us know how you make out.
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirity View Post
Thank you for sharing photos of the Optibook, thinkpadx - I definitely want to get one
Let us know how you make out.
Welcome to MobileRead, Spirity.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #41
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
The inability for end consumers to easily digitize most books is the last limitation of the ebook. Comics & periodicals can be digitized on a consumer level in the home. Just about anyone can rip an MP3 and could rip a DVD if they cared to. TV, photographs, etc. are all captured digitally.

Books, however, still can't be converted easily at the consumer level and while this fights piracy, it also limits adoption of the medium. Note that all of the media above, despite suffering piracy, are also ubiquitous and cost-effective at this point.

I think this OPs device is maybe the right step but doesn't clear the hurdle simply because of the man hours it would take to manually flip the pages. Of course, all of the above media was ubiquitous BEFORE becoming digital and books remain a niche market so I'm not sure there will a cost effective consumer scanner for some time.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #42
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The good stuff is already out there-- just not at prices mere mortals can afford. This one is my favorite (and yes, I DO welcome our new book scanning robot overlords)
:
I wish someday you could walk into a kinkos and do this. Fear of the copyright police would probably prevent it. Yet I daresay more than half of my paper library will never ever be in a commercially available ebook format. Most of my pbooks have fallen out of publisher's consciousness, as if they never happened. Lots of very limited runs with even more limited audiences. But I still love them all in one way or another.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #43
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
The slightly more realistic approach (but still with significant concerns) is to allow Google to do its book scanning initiative. That way the private sector (and Google specifically) is doing all the heavy lifting instead of at the consumer level, government level, or expecting publishers to do it.

They still have some wonky policies requiring all authors - the world over - opt OUT instead of opt in (arguing the search/transaction costs of getting permission render the project infeasible otherwise), but it's the most plausible domestic approach I think. I mean, barring an improbable change in the law to shorten the duration of copyright.

The other plausible possibility is that a foreign government with fundamental different approach or philosophy to copyright (say, China- despite treaties- at a fundamental cultural level, IP doesn't exist there the way it does here- there's a stronger sense of collaboration and state interest rather than individual property rights... though its changing with capitalism, of course) to do the scanning for us in violation of most copyright laws but not caring because of their internal sovereignty (more or less how BT succeeds as a piracy platform). The trouble there is that the hypothetical country probably wouldn't be English speaking or have a backlog of American books....
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #44
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
My Opticbook has arrived. I put up some pictures.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=326
I ordered mine last Wednesday at $224 (I panicked, worried that even that price would disappear-- everybody else had jumped to $250 or more) and it arrived last Friday. In that first week, I scanned nearly 4500 pages (not counting test scans and rescans.) Great, fast scanner.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #45
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I am seriously considering this item. I have some material older than old and this might be what I need.

HoverCam scans your documents from on high
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/01/hovercam-scans.php
The Resolution isn't big enough. In the c't-magazine (German Computer Magazine) they showed a setup where you can use your normal digital camera to scan books ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote