Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Another what's that book?

There's a book (possibly series) that I read as a youngster (probably about 29 years ago) that I cannot remember the title. Every so often it pops into my head and drives me crazy because I cannot remember its name or author. It was a story of 4 kids who, inspired by seeing the movie "Ivanhoe" combined their toys to make castles and use their dolls/action figures to create/recreate the Ivanhoe story. Each night they wake up in this created world. They find that by moving the toys around the following day they can affect the outcome of next's nights adventure.

A fuzzy part of me thinks it has something to do with a magic coin they find. But I am not sure if that was part of that book or the next in the series.

Can anyone help me with this mystery? I truely do not know the age of the book since I got it from the local library.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The References section in the Wikipedia "Ivanhoe" page has:

Edward Eager's book Knight's Castle (1956) magically transports four children into the story of Ivanhoe.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thumbs up wow that's gotta be it!

That gotta be it! This book has plagued me for awhile, one of the problems was that I didn't even remember the Ivanhoe connection until I was writing the thread. Thanks very much, this has been cathartic!.

And super fast too!

Oh yeah have some karma!

Last edited by spear; 04-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Oh yeah have some karma!

Are you going to get a copy?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
The coin is from another Eager book, "Half Magic". The kids in Knight's castle are the children of one of the siblings in that book, which is set in the 20's.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
spear
Connoisseur

Thanks wayrad (karma to you too) I am so glad to know this, I'm glad my memory of these books wasn't as they say, a "false memory".

Sparrow: I may have to go find a copy of both these books, obviously they made an impression on me. It would be interesting to see how they "hold up" now.

Last edited by spear; 04-16-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
If you liked the Eager books, you might also like E. Nesbit, whom Eager made no secret of trying to emulate.

I always liked Eager's no-nonsense sorting out of the romantic pairings in Ivanhoe. Far more satisfying than the original version.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote