Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Don't judge a book by its cover .... or do you?

Do you ever pick up a book or ignore a book based on its cover?

If you're at a bookstore, library or just browsing the internet does the cover art attract your attention first or does the title/author?

I'd consider myself right brain (visual) dominant over left brained (verbal) so a well designed cover is pretty important to what I decide to look up and blurb-read.

With the influx of self-published authors lately, I wonder how much more attention their books would gain if they put more emphasis on a well designed cover over just a well written story.

An example would be Toby Ball's - The Vaults novel.

The first cover looks very simple, standard ... and boring.

The second is eye-appealing and stands out and attracts my attention.

If I just saw that first cover, I'd probably just pass it over. The second stood out and I picked up a copy. Just started it and it's pretty good so far ...
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I would be much more inclined to take a look at the first cover. The second has too much symmetry, I don't like the way the title is set, and it looks like it might be science fiction, which I don't care for.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would be much more inclined to take a look at the first cover. The second has too much symmetry, I don't like the way the title is set, and it looks like it might be science fiction, which I don't care for.
Interesting.

Are you left or right handed?

My guess is right ..
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I like both covers. Although, I'm getting a bit put-off by authors constantly using "A Novel" appended to titles.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I agree with this. The first looks like the kind of book I would be interested in; the second looks like sci-fi to me. Which, to be fair, I do read on occasion, but usually only on recommendation or previous experience with the author. I guess I'm "boring" in my interests!

For the record, I am left-handed.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The one on the right appeals to me more. I'm left handed

I always check out books from Angry Robot because I think they have some of the most appealing art design in the business.

example-

xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Don't think either of them work especially well, but at thumbnail sizes the one on the right gets particularly lost:-

If I was scrolling through an Amazon page I don't think it's even register with me.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Personally I like both covers. Although, I'm getting a bit put-off by authors constantly using "A Novel" appended to titles.
I agree. I don't need to be told a work of fiction I am about to buy is "A Novel".

Whichever I would choose, I'd buy the $10 dollar Hardcover book instead of the $14 (it's not a product it's a 'license') kindle edition.... wow, I have never before seen an e-book be that much more in cost than a hardcover!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Whichever I would choose, I'd buy the $10 dollar Hardcover book instead of the $14 (it's not a product it's a 'license') kindle edition.... wow, I have never before seen an e-book be that much more in cost than a hardcover!
It generally indicates that the hardback is overstocked and is being heavily discounted to try and shift surplus stock. $10 is a ridiculously cheap price for a hardback - you'll note that the list price is $24.99.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Don't think either of them work especially well, but at thumbnail sizes the one on the right gets particularly lost:-

If I was scrolling through an Amazon page I don't think it's even register with me.
Now that I've read the description, the first one doesn't seem to fit at all. I think the second one better represents the story, but I still don't like it. I'd eliminate the upside-down skyline at the top, and I'd change the layout for the text--the shelves are drawing the eye to the center, but then the sideways text is jarring; it's like you are speeding down the aisle and then your brain suddenly has to do a 90-degree turn to read the title.

I don't mind being told it's "A Novel." This particular title doesn't seem like something I'd associate with nonfiction, but some titles do, and such a label can be helpful. Or the label can be helpful if the author also writes nonfiction.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I do judge a book by it's cover. All those amazon freebies you have to learn how to identify by cover which ones are worth grabbing. The first thing about a book that grabs me is the cover then the blurb. If I'm at a B&M store it may be the title or author if I can't see the cover but online it's the cover.

I like the one of the right. It looks more professional done. The first one looks too self published. The second one is better but there is no need to mirror the buildings. It just looks odd but it is much better than the first one.

A professional done cover is everything in the world of self publishing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I like the one of the right. It looks more professional done. The first one looks too self published. The second one is better but there is no need to mirror the buildings. It just looks odd but it is much better than the first one.
I would be more inclined to say that the first cover looks professionally done. The second cover is too busy and has that, 'because it looks cool,' air to it.

That being said, I would be more inclined to look at the blurb for the second book.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Some covers do attract my attention. Generally when I'm in a browsing mood I look at covers. Most often I shop by genre & authors though. When I'm looking through Amazon's or even other online bookstores I do seem to go more by title.....So I guess I'm unpredictable. By the way the book on the right looked more appealing to me. And I did see it at B&N last night.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I dislike "A Novel" on any cover. Gee I am in the FFiction area of the store

Except for the Inverted Sky, IMHO this has more of a Vault feel.
The placement of the title letters gets my eye (the Not square bit).
I am right handed (but hold my book in my left )

The Left one is just OK. It would not cause me to pass it up.

I am a fan of a cover depicting an element in/of the book.

I hate Covers that depict the characters doing something that they would NOT do (per the text inside).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I have to admit I'm attracted to books or repelled by the covers. With eBooks I still get the sample before I buy unless I have another reason to chose it.

Neither of the two covers in the OP appeals to me though. I do read Science Fiction but they just seem kind of boring. The best cover I've seen is the one from Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. The cover makes it obvious the novel is steampunk but the prospective reader needs to know that from the start. That cover peeked my curiosity.

The book turned out to be okay but not as good as its cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boneshaker.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	89854  
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote