Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Touch Questions

I have a Nook Classic. I truly love it. We need another e-reader to stop family squabbles (ok, not squabbling, per se ... just too many readers, not enough e-readers!).

I have B&N books, FictionWise books (secure e-reader), Borders, Sony, PDFs from work, Smashwords ...all over the place, really ... I also use my state's e-book library quite a lot.

Will the Nook Touch Reader read every single book that I have on my Nook Classic?

I know there are some storage limitations ... and I know you can add an SD card that can have any books on it (non-B&N) but I've read/heard that the books on the storage card are not as easily accessible (not always found, last page read not remembered)

So, I'm trying to decide between the Touch and another Classic.

Thanks!
Susie
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
whatever books you have on the classic can also be read on the any of the other nooks. so yes.

oh I just rememberd the newer nooks no longer read PDB

Last edited by boswd; 07-11-2011 at 11:49 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think that there have been some problems with last page read, not just on the SD card, but also with ebooks in internal storage. This seems to sometimes occur after tethering the Nook and copying files to it. But this wouldn't stop me from getting the newer Touch device. They are just bugs that will certainly get ironed out, and not anything that is a shortcoming in the way it is supposed to work (for example the lack of a documented browser is intentional).

I have not had any trouble using my new Touch with stuff I used to have on my Classic.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
I have B&N books, FictionWise books (secure e-reader), Borders, Sony, PDFs from work, Smashwords ...all over the place, really ... I also use my state's e-book library quite a lot.
The Nook Touch does not support secure e-reader books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Ooooohhh ..... that's important! Thank you for letting me know that!

Susie
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I think that there have been some problems with last page read, not just on the SD card, but also with ebooks in internal storage. This seems to sometimes occur after tethering the Nook and copying files to it. But this wouldn't stop me from getting the newer Touch device. They are just bugs that will certainly get ironed out, and not anything that is a shortcoming in the way it is supposed to work (for example the lack of a documented browser is intentional).

I have not had any trouble using my new Touch with stuff I used to have on my Classic.
I have experienced the last page read issue - a book I was reading opened to page 1 (the cover). I think it might help to make sure you don't have a book open when you tether (i.e. go to Library/Home before tethering). At least I'll be trying that next time.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
pdxreads
Enthusiast
pdxreads doesn't litterpdxreads doesn't litterpdxreads doesn't litter

Device: Nook ST, Color Nook, iPad 2 & 4, Kobo Mini
I have also had the (disappearing) last pg. read issue, but not consistently.-- thanks for the tethering suggestion. I don't have an SD card (yet). This was on a library load book via Adobe Digital Editions. Wondered at the time if I should bookmark each time to save my place.

I haven't spent much time on the B&N forum, though have heard their techs frequent it. Is there a bug/wish list ongoing someplace?
pdxreads is offline   Reply With Quote