Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So I've used the 45% on the latest Asimov's and Analog (Jan 2013). But I'm having trouble downloading them. I suspect there's a bit of a rush on their servers.
I tried to download some books and had the same problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Raquel
Enthusiast
Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-300
I downloaded some ePubs today, but they are corrupted and couldn't open.
(My Sony Reader Library says they're corrupted.)

Does anyone have this problem?
Raquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel View Post
I downloaded some ePubs today, but they are corrupted and couldn't open.
(My Sony Reader Library says they're corrupted.)

Does anyone have this problem?
Yep. Same here.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
As much as I like(d) Fictionwise and their discount codes, this reinforces the habit of stripping the DRM off of purchased books and putting them somewhere safe. We should not be at the whim of any site or company closing its doors. On the DRM front, we should not be put in a position where, in order to keep something we paid money for, we have to circumvent or possibly be breaking a law. That is just unacceptable.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
As much as I like(d) Fictionwise and their discount codes, this reinforces the habit of stripping the DRM off of purchased books and putting them somewhere safe. We should not be at the whim of any site or company closing its doors. On the DRM front, we should not be put in a position where, in order to keep something we paid money for, we have to circumvent or possibly be breaking a law. That is just unacceptable.
I'm just trying to download some of the MultiFormat books I bought in the past. They are DRM Free already but FW is just down since this 3AM last night.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm just trying to download some of the MultiFormat books I bought in the past. They are DRM Free already but FW is just down since this 3AM last night.
I hope you are able to get all of your ebooks Blossom. I am glad I have such redundancy in backing up all of my purchases. I remember hearing some of the horror stories when Borders closed. I guess that is why I have so many backups.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I hope you are able to get all of your ebooks Blossom. I am glad I have such redundancy in backing up all of my purchases. I remember hearing some of the horror stories when Borders closed. I guess that is why I have so many backups.
I have them on discs somewhere so if I have to go looking I will. These are when I first started buying years ago.

I do have since the last three years all books I've brought and freebies backed up on Calibre though.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Everyone back up your books!
And good luck with that.

In the middle of the night (around 3-4 am), I just got error after error trying to get a final duplicate backup (in case I've misplaced something).

My palm purchases go back to 2000!

I suspect many, many (maybe most?) of my purchases won't transfer. there was supposed to be a link in the email I got, showing what doesn't, but it didn't work.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I got a reply back from Fictionwise when I reported the problem:

Quote:
Sorry for the error. Due to the high volume of downloads at this time, we have had some server issues. Please try once again to download your titles.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your patience.
I have now been able to download my most recent purchases, and make a start on downloading (again) all my books, just-in-case.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I suspect many, many (maybe most?) of my purchases won't transfer. there was supposed to be a link in the email I got, showing what doesn't, but it didn't work.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai....asp?PID=45600
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
My palm purchases go back to 2000!
Mine, too! Fortunately I downloaded everything when B&N bought them. I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to close - thought it would be sooner.

I copied a list of all my books from my bookshelf just to be sure of what I have. That was tedious - Gah! 57 pages.

You can also use the bulk download, which makes it a little less painful.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Mine, too! Fortunately I downloaded everything when B&N bought them. I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to close - thought it would be sooner.

I copied a list of all my books from my bookshelf just to be sure of what I have. That was tedious - Gah! 57 pages.

You can also use the bulk download, which makes it a little less painful.
Snap! I have 57 pages in my bookshelf too!

Oh - no I don't, I have 58. Some more books have mysteriously appeared in my Fictionwise bookshelf. I had 1424 items, and now I have 1450.

Oooohhh.. In bulk download view it shows 58 pages and 1450 items, and in the oridinary bookshelf it shows 57 pages and 1424 items (and a mysterious invisble 1425th).

And I still seem to have the 100 book download limit. Sigh.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Ditto! However, stripping and storing/backing up on an external drive or"the cloud" is always a good idea.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh - no I don't, I have 58. Some more books have mysteriously appeared in my Fictionwise bookshelf. I had 1424 items, and now I have 1450.

Oooohhh.. In bulk download view it shows 58 pages and 1450 items, and in the oridinary bookshelf it shows 57 pages and 1424 items (and a mysterious invisble 1425th).

And I still seem to have the 100 book download limit. Sigh.
Very weird!

I think that 100-book limit is standard (I have that too.) At least it's better than 1 at a time.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
The death of the great Fictionwise coupons... :'(

Dear Fictionwise and eBookwise Customer,

As you may know, in March of 2009, Fictionwise, comprised of several
eBook retail websites, including Fictionwise.com , eReader.com and
eBookwise.com, was acquired by Barnes & Noble.

Fictionwise is in the process of winding down its operations, and
Fictionwise.com (including eReader.com and eBookwise.com) will end sales
on December 4, 2012. Please note, you will not be able to access your
Fictionwise Bookshelf after December 21, 2012.

An Easy Transition to Barnes & Noble's NOOK® Reading Experience

We know how important eBooks are to you, and we'd like to offer you the
opportunity to transfer your Fictionwise.com Bookshelf to a NOOK Library
by following the steps below.

You will be able to read the transferred eBooks that you purchased at
Fictionwise (including eReader.com and eBookwise.com) by downloading
NOOK's free mobile app to your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, or
you can read your transferred eBooks with your PC/Mac web browser, as
well as on the award-winning NOOK® devices. If you would like to
transfer your Fictionwise eBooks in your Fictionwise Bookshelf to a NOOK
Library, simply opt-in by following the steps below.

Step 1:

Click through to the link below to go to the opt-in page, where you'll
be instructed to confirm that you would like your Fictionwise eBooks in
your Fictionwise Bookshelf transferred to a NOOK Library. Please opt-in
by December 21, 2012.

Step 2:

Once you opt-in, you will receive an email from Barnes & Noble.com with
an access code and instructions for redeeming this code. This access
code represents the Fictionwise eBooks in your Fictionwise Bookshelf
that are being transferred to a NOOK Library for you. You will also see
a link to a code redemption page.

Click through to the redemption page and simply enter your code as
prompted. This will move your existing eBooks into a NOOK Library.
Please redeem this code by January 31, 2013.

How Will the Transition Work?

· Once you enter your access code, if you do not already have a
Barnes & Noble.com account you will be prompted to create an account
connected with this email address.
· When you create your Barnes & Noble.com account, you will be
asked for a credit card. A credit card is required to access some
secured titles. Please note, however, that your credit card will not be
charged for any of the titles that you transferred from Fictionwise nor
for the transfer itself.
· A few Fictionwise titles may not transfer due to discontinued
publishing programs. You will be able to see which titles are not able
to be transferred by clicking here. In most cases, you can back up these
Fictionwise files to your personal hard drive on a Mac or PC. To learn
more about backing up these files, please click here
http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.
· AudioBooks will not be part of this transfer process. If you
want to continue to access audiobook files, we recommend that you back
up those files if you haven't done so already. To learn more about
backing up and downloading these files, please click here
· Personal files that you may have uploaded to your eBookwise
library (i.e., any file in your eBookwise library that was not sold to
you by eBookwise) will not transfer.
· Subscriptions to magazines will not transfer. Please note that
these subscriptions have been fulfilled through November 2012. Any
remaining balance in your subscription will be refunded and subscription
holders will receive a separate communication regarding this refund.

Please note that once the Fictionwise eBooks are transferred to a NOOK
Library, the eBooks will be in ePub format. The ePub titles that will
appear in your new NOOK Library cannot be read on Fictionwise legacy
applications and devices.

If you elect to opt in, please note that any eBooks you have purchased
at Fictionwise.com from October 23th to December 4, 2012, will not be
part of the initial transfer process, but will be automatically
transferred to your NOOK Library starting December 10, 2012. No action
is required on your part once you have opted in.

A reminder: Whether or not you opt in to have your Fictionwise eBooks
transferred to a NOOK Library, by December 21, 2012, you should download
any titles and/or files you plan to read on an application or on a
device that does not support ePub. You can learn more about downloading
your Fictionwise files here:

To transfer your Fictionwise eBooks to a NOOK Library, click here to go
to the opt-in page.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/fict...r@netscape.com

Please opt-in by December 21, 2012.

What if I don't opt-in to have my eBooks transferred?

After December 21, 2012, your Fictionwise Bookshelf will no longer be
accessible via the Fictionwise.com website. If you decide not to opt-in
to have your Fictionwise Bookshelf transferred to NOOK, you will need to
make sure that, if you haven't done so already, you have downloaded your
eBooks to continue reading these eBooks through Fictionwise legacy
applications and devices. Since AudioBooks, any personal files created,
and subscriptions to magazines will not be available to transfer to a
NOOK Library, please make sure you have previously downloaded these
files, or please download these files before December 21, 2012. You can
learn more about downloading your Fictionwise files here:

Information about Micropay Accounts and Buywise Club

Please take a moment to use your Micropay Dollars at Fictionwise.com, as
they will not be valid after December 4, 2012. Please note that any
eBooks purchased at Fictionwise after you have opted-in to transfer to a
NOOK Library at Barnes & Noble will not be part of the initial transfer
process. As noted above, a second transfer will be possible for titles
purchased between October 23  December 4, 2012 and you will
automatically be eligible for this second transfer once opted-in.

If you don't use your Micropay Dollars by December 4, 2012, you will
receive a separate email regarding the refund on any balance in your
account.

For more information about how you can transfer your Fictionwise
Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, including additional details on how the
transition will apply to current Buywise Club members, eMagazine
subscriptions, Micropay Dollars and more, please visit our FAQ web page:
http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

We greatly appreciate your support of Fictionwise over the years.
Together, we helped pioneer eBooks and eReading.

Thank you.

The Fictionwise Team
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote