Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Press Reader - works great

I tried a couple of newspapers today, and they look and work great in the Press Reader app.

Very easy page navigation and pan/zoom. The screen, despite the somewhat low resolution, actually allows smooth fonts even at quite small sizes. Surprising how manageable a full size newspaper page is on just a 7 inch screen.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Haven't tried it yet myself but that sounds great. Does it come with some free newspapers or a trial period?
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yes! 7 free trials! Yay!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Yes! 7 free trials! Yay!
Thanks will try that later!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
It's really nice - I downloaded the free trial one. But did you notice the subscription price? $29.99 per month (unlimited, all the newspapers you want) -

LOL - first I have to pay off the Vox!
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
blacknirvana
Connoisseur

Wow that's a bit steep, any option to just pick a few or one newspaper?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I was able to buy issues at a per-issue price of $0.99. I generally only want the Saturday paper, and $4 per month is nothing compared to a $16+/month subscription.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Yes I ordered a local newspaper for $12 per month figuring I could use the PressReader. Then I find out a week later it's like $400 per year subscription.. What a joke. Vox just robbed me of $200. Dont' buy. And no other newspaper reader seems to be available.

Vox is the biggest rip off of the year.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is Press reader developed and sold by Kobo?

Edit:

Apparently not, so PressReader and/or the newspapers are the big rip off.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
paulsparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
Is Press reader developed and sold by Kobo?

Edit:

Apparently not, so PressReader and/or the newspapers are the big rip off.
I guess what pisses me off the most is I researched the Vox and the newspaper subscriptions and no where do they tell you that the newspaper software loaded is trial only and that the subscription fee is more then a trip to the moon.

Very false and misleading advertising on the Kobo Vox. I have never been deceived this much before on buying a product.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Mike P
Mike P began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I find the Press Reader exceptionally good. $29/month for access to 1700 newspapers is remarkable. If you do not want to use the monthly subscription, you have three options:

1. Use the 99¢ per issue option.
2. Check with your local newpaper to see if they have a digital edition you can use on the Vox (the Globe2go subscription is cheaper and just uses the PressReader software).
3. Most local libraries have on-line access to Press Reader for free - you do have to use a browser and have wifi access - I've tested this with my Vox using my local library and it worked fine.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
The Press Reader app is free, the same as the Zinio app, Kobo reader app and the Kindle app are free. You need to pay for the actual content on Press Reader, just as you must pay for most content for the Zinio, Kobo and Kindle apps.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
I guess what pisses me off the most is I researched the Vox and the newspaper subscriptions and no where do they tell you that the newspaper software loaded is trial only and that the subscription fee is more then a trip to the moon.

Very false and misleading advertising on the Kobo Vox. I have never been deceived this much before on buying a product.

I guess this is your first device with apps? The iPad-iTouch-iPhone all have free apps with paid content as well and no one would accuse Apple of "ripping them off" because of that...the Vox is no different, some apps have free content others require that you pay for the content. That is pretty standard.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
paulsparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I guess this is your first device with apps? The iPad-iTouch-iPhone all have free apps with paid content as well and no one would accuse Apple of "ripping them off" because of that...the Vox is no different, some apps have free content others require that you pay for the content. That is pretty standard.
Problem has been solved. I did in fact pay for the content and this is where the problem began. When PressReader was asking for $29 per month on top of my $10+ per month newspaper subscription it didn't make sense to own the Vox.

The issue at hand was someone at the Newspaper cancelled my digital subscription when I cancelled my print. As there are no help tutorials or error messages that make sense it took a lot of time and patience to work through this error. As well Kobo tech support couldn't figure it out either as they saw that I had a subscription.

Tech support was very quick (on the phone) and good by email (12 hour turn around) and we eventually figured it out.