Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I don't know if we'll see a wifi only version of the Kindle. That would seem to go against the basic tenet of Amazon's marketing for the Kindle, which is how simple it is. There are still plenty of people out there for whom connecting a device to a router is not simple.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's true as it would complicate marketing of whispersync for them if they had a wifi only model.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Only thing I can think of is the larger e-ink screens must cost more and/or they know it's a tiny niche, can't compete with the iPad and other tablets in the mainstream etc. so they just leave it high priced for the niche of people who want a big screen e-ink device.

It's still quite a bit cheaper than the rumored prices of the Que, or the big screen iRex devices etc. so they really don't have much pressure to drop price. No one who wants an iPad or other tablet would buy a DX instead even if it was $299 or something. And they're still under price the other 9.7"
or close big screen e-ink devices.
I think you are right, little competition in the larger screen market. If we look at the larger screen market there is who? iRex? Filed for chapter 11 so in the near future no real price or new product competition there. Hmm that is really it.

I can see why the Kindle has dropped in price. $199 for the Nook with 3g, and now a wifi only for $149, the Kobo for $149, Sony dropped the price of theirs (newegg and all those dropping the sale price of all the readers they stock). The 6" is where the competition currently is.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I don't know if we'll see a wifi only version of the Kindle.
See engadget: August Kindle is Shasta, with WiFi. It seems almost certain that there will be a Kindle with WiFi, but it might be 3G+WiFi. So, the "entry level" Kindle 3 could either be 3G-only or WiFi-only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is it will just be 3G AND WIFI and they'll price it in between the two nook models as they have done with this price drop.

Having a Wifi only would complicate marketing it as discussed above--easier to just have one device and not have to try to distinguish the differences in whispersync functionality between the two etc.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I think you are right, little competition in the larger screen market. If we look at the larger screen market there is who? iRex? Filed for chapter 11 so in the near future no real price or new product competition there. Hmm that is really it.
The Kindle DX probably isn't a big seller. I've had a Kindle DX for almost a year now and while I really like it butt from experience I have to say the Kindle 2 is a much better choice for most people. If I'd known last year what I know now I would have gotten a Kindle 2 instead. I do much of my reading in bed and I've found the DX to large and awkward for holding while reclining. Instead I have to prop it on a pillow or rolled up blanket.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm delighted! The Kindle 2 is a pretty awesome reader at $189 (and great value at $259). Not only is there access to the Amazon bookstore (the most robust ebook store on the planet), including free sample chapters of virtually ever title and free 3G access in many countries plus wikipedia access almost everywhere; it also have the built-in dictionary, text-to-speech, and now social networking stuff for those so inclined.

What's next? Kindle 3? "You betcha!", he said with a wink!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See engadget: August Kindle is Shasta, with WiFi. It seems almost certain that there will be a Kindle with WiFi, but it might be 3G+WiFi. So, the "entry level" Kindle 3 could either be 3G-only or WiFi-only.
The "entry level" Kindle might be the K2 (at the new price point) with the K3 filling the price gap between the K2 and DX.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #24
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Kindle 2 for $189? A year and four months ago I bought mine for $359. That's a $170 reduction, almost half the cost. I never dreamed that ebook reader prices would come down this fast. Good.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard

I figured they'd drop pretty fast, which is why I waited and grabbed a used K1 for $200 from an owner who upgraded to the K2.

New tech prices drop fast. For instance Sony Blu Ray players were $600 or so when they came out back in 2006 or so. I got a Sony BR in late 2008 (Black friday) for $150 and they are commonly that price or lower these days.

Early adopters of a new tech always get shafted with a high price as tech is never more expensive than when if first comes out and price tends to fall rapidly after a year or two.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
If history is an indication, a price drop in the current main seller usually means the next model is well on its way here. I can't wait to see the Kindle 3. AnemicOak is definitely right about the K3 being the higher end model and the K2 filling the entry level slot.

I know it's weird, but I feel like getting another Kindle just because it got so much more affordable. Maybe just to give away or something.

Maybe Seth Godin had some affect on these two giants. It's been just a few days since his call for a $49 Kindle and we are seeing two of the biggest players drop their prices. Interesting...
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #27
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
While it's true there isn't much competition in the large screen e-ink market, there also isn't much of a market left after the iPad arrived on the scene.

A $489 tag for the Kindle DX will ensure that sales will wither down to a very tiny niche market. The vast majority of people ready to plunk down $489 for a device that size will pony up the extra $11 and buy an iPad.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #28
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Not only will they, flyash, but they should. I've long since felt that the $489 for a DX was overpriced. And ever since the iPad came out at $499, it became downright ridiculous. I'm not a diehard Apple fan by any means, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the iPad 100 times out of 100.

Considering how quickly they responded to the Nook's price drop, I'm surprised Amazon hasn't really done anything about the DX's price. Surely, they must have thought of the above as well. I suppose it's possible they know something we don't, but I'm going to go ahead and be arrogant enough to say they're wrong. The DX will go the way of the Dodo unless they have a dramatic reduction in price.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #29
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm hoping for a next-gen e-ink screen to appear on Kindles in the coming few months. It'll be a nice, if small, step upward.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #30
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Prices goes down. Nice

I saw that prs-600 was now 180 euros yesterday.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote