Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #646
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, unfortunately not. The button requires to be already jailbroke. When I went through the config files yesterday, I found a loophole to possibly bypass the requirement of jailbreak. First quick test was unfortunately not successful, will keep digging deeper on that angle.
That would be great if you could figure something out.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #647
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
More experimentation.

Lessons learned:
-KPW has a deep, dark, secret. It modifies the built-in fonts with stylesheets and messes with the line gap.
-KPW will not display custom kerning on custom fonts in AWZ3 formatted books.
-It is a PITA to fiddle repeatedly with individual glyph spacing to improvise what kerning would do more elegantly

I have taken the extracted Caecilia fonts, added weight to them, auto-spaced the glyphs, and then modified individual glyph spacing (ie. w, v, m, n, r, i, f, y) to produce improved fonts for my reading preferences.

Legend:
Caecilia_Size2.png = built-in KPW Caecilia font displayed with secret styling
CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png = unmodified Caecilia font displayed without secret stying
CaeciliaModified_Size2.png, CaeciliaModified_Size3.png & CaeciliaModified_Size5.png are all screenshots of my modified fonts.

Of particular note, CaeciliaModified at size 3 shows the same amount of words as the built-in Caecilia at size 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia_Size2.png
Views:	262
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101584   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png
Views:	235
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	101585   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaModified_Size2.png
Views:	250
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	101586   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaModified_Size3.png
Views:	248
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	101587   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaModified_Size5.png
Views:	222
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	101588  
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #648
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
More experimentation.

Lessons learned:
-KPW has a deep, dark, secret. It modifies the built-in fonts with stylesheets and messes with the line gap.
-KPW will not display custom kerning on custom fonts in AWZ3 formatted books.
-It is a PITA to fiddle repeatedly with individual glyph spacing to improvise what kerning would do more elegantly

I have taken the extracted Caecilia fonts, added weight to them, auto-spaced the glyphs, and then modified individual glyph spacing (ie. w, v, m, n, r, i, f, y) to produce improved fonts for my reading preferences.
Having fun are we? I'm not a fan of Caecilia which is why I use Amasis. It's a slab serif font but much nicer to read with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #649
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
(IMHO) Caecilia is a very poor font choice for Amazon to have made. It feels like I am reading output from a typewriter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #650
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Having fun are we? I'm not a fan of Caecilia which is why I use Amasis. It's a slab serif font but much nicer to read with.
It's an OK font, but I can't imagine paying $30 for it!

I've been using Droid Serif, which I like for its tall and clean shapes, designed for on-screen reading, not to mention its free license. :-)

Last edited by twowheels; 02-20-2013 at 03:51 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #651
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I've been using Droid Serif, which I like for its tall and clean shapes, designed for on-screen reading.
I found Droid Serif to be too sterile.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #652
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I've been using Droid Serif, which I like for its tall and clean shapes, designed for on-screen reading, not to mention its free license. :-)
I can't stand Droid Serif. It renders horribly on Android.

I didn't pay anything for Amasis. I got it from a old Nook Android App.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #653
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've been using Futura on both my Kindles lately.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #654
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can't stand Droid Serif. It renders horribly on Android.

I didn't pay anything for Amasis. I got it from a old Nook Android App.
I have the version of Amasis that Sony includes with the T1.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #655
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I use that on my T1, or Helvetica, when I change around.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #656
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I wonder if they are same? Amasis MT is more rounded than the version on the Nook which looks more slab serif because it's thinner.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #657
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I wonder if they are same? Amasis MT is more rounded than the version on the Nook which looks more slab serif because it's thinner.
The version on the T1 is Amasis MT. So I would say very similar if not the same.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #658
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The version on the T1 is Amasis MT. So I would say very similar if not the same.
Amasis MT is not the same as the Nook version of Amasis.
I have both and prefer the skinny version from the Nook.

Amasis MT is more rounded while the other is more slab serif like Caecilia.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #659
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Bad news for hide fonts

It is official now: There is positively no way to hide extra fonts from USE_ALT_FONTS on PW unless you jailbreak. The button I intended to write for KUAL did not happen either as I was busy exploring a loophole to hide the fonts without jailbreak. Turned out to be non-functional.

Good news though for everybody that is jailbroke: Jimmy-Jim wrote the button. See his post.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #660
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is official now: There is positively no way to hide extra fonts from USE_ALT_FONTS on PW unless you jailbreak. The button I intended to write for KUAL did not happen either as I was busy exploring a loophole to hide the fonts without jailbreak. Turned out to be non-functional.

Good news though for everybody that is jailbroke: Jimmy-Jim wrote the button. See his post.
Sooo tempted!