Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
cbr files

Could anyone please tell me if the Kobo wireless reads cbr files?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
yes it does. i have the walking dead comics on mine.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebalme View Post
Could anyone please tell me if the Kobo wireless reads cbr files?
Yes, and cbz as well. I make cbz files for a photo album which works great. Just zip up a folder of images and rename the .zip to .cbz. cbr is the same but uses RAR compression instead of zip. They can also be used for comic books I suppose

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I have Twilight Zone comic books from Gold Key which I intend to read from the Kobo very soon. They are in .cbr I believe. Won't be needing Calibre or anything to convert.

Can someone tell me if we can store some .jpg pictures on the device - even if they will be in b&w?

Thanks!
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I kmow one approach people have used is to make their OWN cbr to contain images. All a CBR is, is a RAR file renamed. (Likewise, a CBZ is a ZIP file renamed).

Also, I do believe that you can just add a jpg to the Kobo; it will show up under the "Documents" tab.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
But - what I'd like to make sure if someone could tell me is...
If I simply hook the Kobo to my computer and put the cbr files in it - will it work?
...or do I still need calibre to convert the cbr files?

I hope it's drag and drop.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre doesnt convert anything unless u tell it to do so. You can just transfer the files over using it. To answer your question yes you can drop cbr or cbz onto the kobo. There is no converting needed they even work on the wifi model.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by know-one View Post
If I simply hook the Kobo to my computer and put the cbr files in it - will it work?
...or do I still need calibre to convert the cbr files?

I hope it's drag and drop.
It'll work. Least it did for my Touch, and the Kobo specs says that it can support CBR, so dragging and dropping into root will work.

Last edited by Toastedpine; 06-13-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
It'll work. Least it did for my Touch, and the Kobo specs says that it can support CBR, so dragging and dropping into root will work.
or even somewhere else. It will search folders as well for all documents and eBooks and show them in docs tab while any epubs, it finds will be placed in the library tabs. Documents include pdf files, cbr, cbz, rtf and whatever else it understands. newspapers and magazines will be in their own tab.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by know-one View Post
Yes. That is what I do with my Kobo Wifi. No conversion necessary.

(CBR/CBZ support was added in firmware 1.9. A newly-purchased Kobo may be running 1.7.x at first, but when you connect to Wifi it will automatically check for updates and let you install them.)
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
On the KT, when you're reading a PDF you can zoom in and scroll around. Is this also possible to do with a cbr/cbz file? I couldn't find any zoom button.
thepossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
On the KT, when you're reading a PDF you can zoom in and scroll around. Is this also possible to do with a cbr/cbz file? I couldn't find any zoom button.
there is no zoom button.
you just double tap the middle of the screen to zoom in.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
BrunoG
BrunoG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
there is no zoom button.
you just double tap the middle of the screen to zoom in.
Thanks I was wondering about that. I was squinting for awhile there.
BrunoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
OK, that's how it works for reading/zooming PDFs then. But apparently not (yet) for cbz files: tapping the middle of the screen brings up all the menus, and double-tapping just makes the screen blink a bit (menus pop up, menus go away).

Maybe they'll add panning cbr/cbz to future firmwares, but until they do it's just too hard to read the ones I've got.
thepossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
baselworld
baselworld began at the beginning.

Device: aldiko
Cbr file with author

Hello, I've tried writing to kobo but did not receive a reply, i was wondering if there is a way to put or edit a cbr to include its author because i would like to sort my cbr files in kobo via author instead of title. Thanks
baselworld is offline   Reply With Quote