Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
squimmy
squimmy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Alternatives to the PRS-600 in the UK?

Hi there,

Real ereader newbie here! I've spent ages deciding on whether to get a sony PRS-600 or not. The choice of ereaders in the UK isn't great and the 600 does seem to be perfect for me, except I keep hearing about this glare which i'm desperate to avoid!

I really don't like the idea of being tied to amazon so that rules all kindles out, Nook's and Kobo's aren't in the UK (or at least I can't find a way of getting them)...so what 6" readers are left in the UK?

Thanks!
squimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think personally that the best 6" reader around is the Bebook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60). Not in UK shops, but very easy to buy online.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Oh man, there's all kinds. PocketBook, Bookeen, and Astak (might not be available in the UK) to name a few.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Astak just sell rebranded Jinke devices, which are sold by Bebook in Western Europe. The Astak EZ Reader and Pocket Pro are the equivalent of the Bebook One and Mini respectively.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: none
PRS-600 is about £100 more expensive in the on the UK high street than in the US.
WHSmith sell a IRiver Story for £149 http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...uctID=34285626 not sure what this is like but there is a forum here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219
There is an old comparison of 6 inch readers available in the UK here: http://www.ebookreadersreview.co.uk/...arison-matrix/
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
It's crazy how expensive stuff is outside the US. Thank the useless American dollar, I suppose.

The BeBook Neo does look nice, and if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have the glarey-touch screen problem that the Sony 600 does because it's a Wacom touch screen. Pocketbook 302 is also popular but it might have a glare, I'm not sure.

Where do you read, mostly? You might not be as bothered by the 600 screen glare as you think you will be. I hardly ever have a problem. If the light source is directly behind you, then it will be like looking into a mirror but if it's above or at the side it's easily fixed.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's right; the Neo/Onyx has a Wacom touch screen, hence no "touch sensitive" layer on top of the screen to impact image quality; all the electronics of the touch screen are underneath the eInk display.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by squimmy View Post
Hi there,

Real ereader newbie here! I've spent ages deciding on whether to get a sony PRS-600 or not. The choice of ereaders in the UK isn't great and the 600 does seem to be perfect for me, except I keep hearing about this glare which i'm desperate to avoid!

I really don't like the idea of being tied to amazon so that rules all kindles out, Nook's and Kobo's aren't in the UK (or at least I can't find a way of getting them)...so what 6" readers are left in the UK?

Thanks!
I bought a 600 after I broke my 505 and I cannot stand the glare. Other reader say it's not really a problem for them, so I think you really need to try it before buying it.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
disobedience
disobedience began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think personally that the best 6" reader around is the Bebook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60). Not in UK shops, but very easy to buy online.
You can buy the Bebook Neo from Foyles (as I did). Free post and packing. No return policy unless there was a hardware fault I was told. You also get a free EBook (upto the value of £10).

No complaints since I bought this device. I went into the Charing Cross Road store and they were happy for me to try it out before hand.
disobedience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's useful to know, thanks; I didn't know that any shop sold it.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
I bought a Nook Wifi, it's a great device. It's quite happy with the EPUB files i bought for my Sony Reader Pocket and books you buy from B&N just pop up.

You have to go through a lot of hoops to get one in the UK though. It was only $149 though (all right plus shipping and import taxes) still around £160.

What about a Kindle, they are not shy about selling to the UK?
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksOnBowser View Post
What about a Kindle, they are not shy about selling to the UK?
Did you actually read the OP?

Quote:
I really don't like the idea of being tied to amazon so that rules all kindles out
I'm torn between the PRS-600 and the BeBook Neo - I really need to be able to merge PDF annotations back into the document (for marking up manuscripts and returning them to the author) and it's not clear if/when that will be supported on the Neo. OTOH the screen glare on the Sony is a worry.

I think I need to visit my local Sony Centre and see for myself before I decide...
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
You can try a whole range of ereaders out in Foyles (London) and Waterstones around the corner. I remember trying the PRS-600 (£200), the 300 (£140), the Neo (£270), the Opus (£180) and the BeBook mini (£180). They didn't have the Elonex (£129) on display at the time. The 600 bothers some people but not others - it certainly seemed fine to me. The Neo was probably the best machine but it was quite expensive.

Quote:
I have a Kindle (bought from the UK) and I can't say I'm unduly tied to Amazon - I use Calibre to side load books onto the device using the USB cable - just like any other ereader. Pocketbook also produce a range of devices you can order over the web.

You don't say where you live in the UK but you could try looking for people for people with ereaders in this thread who will happily demo their devices to you.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox View Post
I'm torn between the PRS-600 and the BeBook Neo - I really need to be able to merge PDF annotations back into the document (for marking up manuscripts and returning them to the author) and it's not clear if/when that will be supported on the Neo. OTOH the screen glare on the Sony is a worry.
The Neo will display PDFs better than the 600 but no 6" device will be great for reading PDFs. I'm not sure whether the Kindle DXG allows you to annotate PDFs but if it does then this would be a reasonable choice. If Asus produce their DR900 next month then this might be an even better option.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
momentblur
momentblur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I also am a complete newb at this, having just spent the last couple of weeks looking into buying an ereader as I'm going travelling and want one. So, I'd take my views in that light.

I saw a prs 600 up against a 300 and found the difference in screen quality to be huge, the glare on the 600 worrying me less than the large difference in contrast that was apparent. I definitely would not buy a 600. From what I've read this is not a problem you encounter with any device wear the touch screen tech is placed behind the screen (as far as I can see all devices with stylus' work in this way).

In terms of the bebook one.
This is a device that I've been looking into with quite a bit of interest at the beginning before deciding that the spec and levels of grey displayed seem lower than the competition were offering at the same price. I then discovered that the 2010 version is a hardware upgrade (the hanlin v3+) {please correct me if this is wrong as I'm stilln ot 100%} and therefore displays in 16 levels of grey and has the newer standard speed processor (Can't find spec right now) allowing faster menu navigation and I believe page turns.
The miain point here being that I would be careful where you bought one. If you source it through bebooks website I believe you will recieve a 2010 edition but I believe PLAY are still selling the old model (They are definitely advertising it with the old specs) and others may be.

Sorry I did not mean to be so in depth, I am meanig to start my own thread with a few questions and may link back here when I have as I don't want to write everything twice.

I was drawn to comment on your thread as I thought a couple of people were not being mentioned:

Cool-er lower build quality but great if you want light weight 178g company just folded so no further firmware updates and original menu's etc questionable.

... Writing this at work and just realised I'm meant to be closing.
I'll be back, probably.

Also Hello Mobile read as this is my proper first post.

May they always be as confused and half finished...
momentblur is offline   Reply With Quote