Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
LOVE MY KINDLE

I got my K3 Sept. 14 and love it. I downloaded 5 books immediately. I have about 200 paper books in my TBR, but something tells me I won't get to them. I love reading on the Kindle. However, yesterday I looked for a book that sounded interesting and Amazon was charging $9.99. I don't think so. There's no way I'm paying $9.99 for an ebook. I'll probably get that book in paper. It's not that I don't think ebooks are worth the money. They totally are, but I still have a problem paying so much for a book I can't hold in my hand. Maybe that will change.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Hello CaraM,

Looking forward to receiving my own K3 soon... only just shipped now.

The pricing of eBooks is a big point of contention now with a lot of people. I agree that $9.99 is probably a bit over the top for most books. I think many people's 'sweet spot' is more around half of that or less. There's been some reports of eBooks being even closer to $20.00

Good luck with filling up your K3... I know it's going to be quite an interesting process here.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraM View Post
I got my K3 Sept. 14 and love it. I downloaded 5 books immediately. I have about 200 paper books in my TBR, but something tells me I won't get to them. I love reading on the Kindle. However, yesterday I looked for a book that sounded interesting and Amazon was charging $9.99. I don't think so. There's no way I'm paying $9.99 for an ebook. I'll probably get that book in paper. It's not that I don't think ebooks are worth the money. They totally are, but I still have a problem paying so much for a book I can't hold in my hand. Maybe that will change.

OH, yes, that will change.

When you realize you no longer have to keep that book open with two fingers while you eat with the other hand.

When you realize holding the Kindle is way better than trying to balance a large hardback in bed, or find a comfortable position to read it.

When you are out and about, and need something to read, but left your paper books at home, but your Kindle is in your purse and you've loaded it with books........

I could go on, but you'll find your own reasons.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
/\ what she said ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
However, yesterday I looked for a book that sounded interesting and Amazon was charging $9.99. I don't think so.
And when you read a lot, those $9.99 add up fast. Thank goodness for ebooks from the libraries for those of us that are lucky enough to live near progressive libraries.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Oh, if I just could pay only $9.99 for a (Norwegian) eBook.
Cheapest eBook found in Norway is abt US$ 13. "Bestsellers" and new publishings cost US$ 30-50.
So guys, stop complaining..
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Glad you're enjoying your new Kindle.

I add all the ebooks I want to my wishlist - irrespective of price.

Amazon prices (even ebooks) can fluctuate daily and it is worth checking your wishlist daily if poss to check out prices. I've had many bargain buys this way.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Me too love my Kindle 3. And yes, it will change. You'll find you'll read more on your ebook reader than the paperback book you bought. Same happens to me.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Just want to have my two penneth on the K3 love in!

Had mine about a week and a half, and love it to bits. Sits in my work bag, and gets adoring glances on the tube/bus whenever I whip it out. No issues with lock ups, rattles and is well protected by the case.

Done the unlocking thing and got my own screensavers on, bought 6 books, and adding more all the time to my wish list. Will need to swap over from .co.uk to .com soon as I am moving to Hong Kong and hope it doesn't begger up my purchases!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I was alaways into "ebook" reading since maybe 2003 on a old, glossy and awful readable Pocket PC. So i was not really uncomfortable with the idea of paying for an ebook a reasonable price. But if someone would have told me 2 years ago that i'll spent around 200-300$ a month for ebooks and newspapers in 2010 i would have told him "no way". Blieve me if you love it now you'll change your mind soon ... very soon
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Just want to have my two penneth on the K3 love in!

Had mine about a week and a half, and love it to bits. Sits in my work bag, and gets adoring glances on the tube/bus whenever I whip it out. No issues with lock ups, rattles and is well protected by the case.

Done the unlocking thing and got my own screensavers on, bought 6 books, and adding more all the time to my wish list. Will need to swap over from .co.uk to .com soon as I am moving to Hong Kong and hope it doesn't begger up my purchases!
Glad you're enjoying your Kindle 3 - I haven't seen any more out in the wild, as it were, and I commute to London too. I've seen a Sony which I think is the latest 650 from the size. I didn't like the look of the screen though and having to swipe my hand would annoy me having got used to an easy push button.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Sue

I saw a horrible thing last night on the tube, I was stood next to a lady seated reading on an ereader and every time she turned a page I could see a real flash/glare even out of the corner of my eye when I was reading my K3 and not nosing! It was also about 4 times thicker than my sleek goddess.

Much, much happier with mine
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all for your comments. I suspect it won't be too long before I think nothing of paying $9.99 for an ebook. Thanks for the suggestion to put the book on my wish list and keep checking to see if the price goes down.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
And when you read a lot, those $9.99 add up fast.
Especially because you will probably read even more now.

What really bugs me is when the ebook is more expensive than whatever pbook is currently available. I don't mind paying $9.99 when the hardback is $12.00, but when the hardback is at Target for $7.99, it makes $9.99 look like a fortune.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Sydney's Mom,

We have a bit of the opposite problem - our pbooks are being massively overpriced on the shelves of many retailers compared to what they should be ($53 AUD for a paperback... who are they kidding!?) so we've reined ourselves to focus more on the whole eBook revolution where we can set more sane prices (like $4.99 AUD for a 380 pager).

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of ebooks, kindle