Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Questions re Kobo navigation

I just sent the following note to Kobo support but then figured that I would probably get a better and quicker answer on the forum here.

---------
I am looking at buying the Kobo ereader for my mother to replace our Sony PRS-505 which has started having a few problems. I have three questions that I haven't found answers to on your website.

1) In an epub book can I "goto" a specific page number? If not, can I jump forward a bunch at a time (and backwards)? Is there anyway to navigate through a book other than one page at a time?

2) Do you allow, or is their 3rd party software, to view books directly through the folder structure. I currently own multiple ereaders and use this feature extensively. I have all my books stored on my reader by genre / author / series / title (incl series #). I use the folder navigation far more than I use Books by author or title. Is there some way to do this with the Kobo?

3) I use Calibre extensively. I have a library of 2500 books where I have recorded the series and series number for all books where appropriate. If I wanted to read my Alex Cross books starting with the first one in the series (written by James Patterson) how would I find it on my Kobo? Obviously I don't know the title of the book just that I want the first or second in the series.

-------------
Thanks everyone.............Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
1) In an epub book can I "goto" a specific page number? If not, can I jump forward a bunch at a time (and backwards)? Is there anyway to navigate through a book other than one page at a time?
No GOTO PAGE feature just yet... we're hopeful it will be added in a future firmware update. Your only other navigation choice, besides page flipping, is the Table of Contents.

Quote:
2) Do you allow, or is their 3rd party software, to view books directly through the folder structure. I currently own multiple ereaders and use this feature extensively. I have all my books stored on my reader by genre / author / series / title (incl series #). I use the folder navigation far more than I use Books by author or title. Is there some way to do this with the Kobo?
Yes. You can use drag'n'drop with the Kobo.
EDIT: It comes to me that I might have misinterpreted your question. The Kobo only has sorting by Author or Title: You can store the books in whatever folder hierarchy you wish, but navigating through the library on the Kobo itself is limited to Author/Title sorting.

Quote:
3) I use Calibre extensively. I have a library of 2500 books where I have recorded the series and series number for all books where appropriate. If I wanted to read my Alex Cross books starting with the first one in the series (written by James Patterson) how would I find it on my Kobo? Obviously I don't know the title of the book just that I want the first or second in the series.
There is no 'collections' support on the Kobo yet. What I usually do is use the 'Create Catalog ... ' feature of Calibre. If you use the TOC and jump to the section that lists 'books by author' alphabetically, it will group series into a nice numbered list for each author.
The only other way would be to edit the titles of your books (eg, Mistborn 1 - The Final Empire, Mistborn 2 - The Well of Ascension, etc)

Last edited by Stinger; 07-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post

Well...there is a crude way to do it. Just tap the page turn button many many many times in quick succession...it will advance by 10 to 15 (or more) pages at at time. It's not pretty, but it works....
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I have to disagree with Stinger on item 2. There is no folder structure visible as you do your book search. Books can be viewed sorted by Title or by Author, and that's it.

I haven't tried creating folders on my Kobo, but I suspect that books get displayed without regard to the folder(s) they may be in.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Everyone thanks a lot. I have been going through this forum which I obviously should have done before I sent the note to Kobo. I searched for my answers on their website and in their documentation - silly me.

I appreciate the quick input, obviously I am disappointed in the answers. I like the suggestion about Calibre's catalog and will give that a try before I proceed with the Kobo. My mother wants simplicity but I know that she uses the GOTO page function on my Sony 505 with some frequency. I certainly use the folder navigation on both my Sony and iRex a lot. Not sure what I am going to do. Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
jjansen
J

I have to add one more item to this thread and that is the response from Kobo to my 3 questions. I specifically told them that I had already checked their website and still had 3 questions remaining that weren't discussed anywhere. If they wanted to put me off purchasing their equipment they are going about the right way of doing that.

<<
Your request (#31124) has been solved.

Hi Jcqueline,

Thank you for your email.

Please visit the Kobo eReader website: http://koboereader.com for information on all of the Kobo features.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team
>>

Thanks to everyone on this forum that were much more helpful and didn't yell at me for not checking here first instead of checking Kobo's website.................Jackie
Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Kobo would be smart to direct enquiries such as yours directly to www.mobileread.com.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
jjansen
J

I their support can't be bothered answering prospects questions then you are absolutely correct. Mobileread - best source of info around.