Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Best reader that is comparable to PRS505 AND has a dictionary?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my PRS505 to something that has dictionary support. My initial thoughts were to go for the PRS600, but I think it would be rather silly to purchase a device for reading and downgrade the screen in the process. So, here are some features that are important to me:

-Legibility
-Simple interface (the PRS505's is perfectly suitable)
-Dictionary
-Solid build quality (metal would be nice)
-Cheaper would be better, but my budget is flexible depending on the quality of the device

Expandability is not very important to me, nor are any other features that do not directly impact the actual reading of the books (wifi, mp3 player, pictures).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: Pocketbook 360 looks very capable, what do you guys think?
EDIT2: I should mention that the plan is to go for the epub format above all else.

Last edited by rahulm; 06-05-2010 at 10:54 PM.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
PocketBook 360 fits all parameters you are looking for in a reader. Have you seen this great review from Mickey330:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...pocketbook+360 ?
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should also consider the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (the same machine). It is, I think, the best 6" device currently available, and certainly meets all your criteria.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks guys.

Is there any difference at all between the BeBook Neo and Onyx Boox 60? The hardware is the same, but what about the support? Does one have better firmware than the other?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hardware-wise they are identical (other than the logo on the case). You can install either the Onyx or the Neo firmware on either machine (Onyx write the Neo's firmware). There's really nothing to choose between them other than which is the more convenient for you to buy (which for me was the Neo).
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
rahulm
Zealot

Ok, per your recommendations, I have narrowed it down to:

5'' - Pocketbook 360 (add the Opus to the list if the epub bookmarking issue is fixed)

6'' - Boox 60 / Bebook Neo

All I've ever used is a 6'' device so I'm not sure if I will like the transition to a smaller screen. It probably won't be so bad. Right now, I'm leaning slightly towards the P360, I just don't see why I would need a touchscreen component. I never take notes and I wouldn't use the WIFI.

Hmm...

EDIT: I've read about fbreader in several reviews, could you explain what that is exactly?

Last edited by rahulm; 06-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Ok, per your recommendations, I have narrowed it down to:

5'' - Pocketbook 360 (add the Opus to the list if the epub bookmarking issue is fixed)

6'' - Boox 60 / Bebook Neo

All I've ever used is a 6'' device so I'm not sure if I will like the transition to a smaller screen. It probably won't be so bad. Right now, I'm leaning slightly towards the P360, I just don't see why I would need a touchscreen component. I never take notes and I wouldn't use the WIFI.

Hmm...

EDIT: I've read about fbreader in several reviews, could you explain what that is exactly?
FBReader is an open source ebook reader software. The PB360 allows you to choose between this software and ADE (the Adobe proprietary software) to read your ebooks. Reading-wise the main difference is that FBReader doesn't support CSS styling, which makes it impossible to read books which are protected with DRM anti-copy systems... aside of ignoring most of the pre-made formatting made by the publisher. The good thing is that FBReader allows you more possibilities to tweak your reading (changing margins or font type, more font sizes, customisable hyphenation).

Aside of that, a third-party improvement for the FBReader software in Pocketbook allows even more options for tweaking your reading, plus it has a very clever feature, which makes use of the PB360's G-sensor in order to enable page turning without pushing any buttons.

FBReader can read any format supported by PB360 except for books with DRM and PDF files, for which there are in turn 2 programs as well: the Adobe one and something called pdfviewer. Nevertheless, FBReader has a native format, called FB2.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
rahulm
Zealot

Just an update guys.

I got to try a working PRS600 unit at Bestbuy and you know what, the screen really isn't that bad. I brought my PRS505 to compare and the difference is negligible, to my eyes anyway. I also tried the PRS300 and found that a 5'' reader just isn't for me.

Now, factoring that in, where does it rank against the Bebook Neo? Does the Neo display ePubs better than the PRS600?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I had to replace my 505 and got a 600 --- unlike the 505, I find myself from time-to-time having trouble reading the screen on the 600 until I adjust my viewing angle or increase the font size, but having the touch screen is worth it.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Now, factoring that in, where does it rank against the Bebook Neo? Does the Neo display ePubs better than the PRS600?
I have both a PRS-600 and a BeBook Neo. The Neo displays ePubs significantly better than the PRS-600. The 600 uses a very old version of Adobe Digital Editions, meaning that all ePub books are displayed left justified, and it does not support a number of the more advanced ePub features that the Neo does. The Neo is, overall, a much better device to my mind.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
rahulm
Zealot

I always thought that ADE applied only to DRM'ed ePub files. Will the epubs available free and unDRM'ed on mobileread also go through ADE?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Only if you force them to.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Onyx boox is $329? That doesnt make it cheaper.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
rahulm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Only if you force them to.
Ok, just wanna have it clarified, I'm sorry if I'm being dense.

Say I'm only interesting in reading the books available at PG and mobileread.com. Is the ADE implementation at all relevant to me? Like when HarryT says the Neo's version of ADE can display epubs much better, this won't matter for me, right?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I always thought that ADE applied only to DRM'ed ePub files. Will the epubs available free and unDRM'ed on mobileread also go through ADE?
ADE is the name of the software on the reader that is used to display ePub and PDF file files. It also implements a DRM mechanism, but that is a minor function - its primary purpose is simply to display files.