Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex Announcement Monday September 22

From the i-to-i blog.

iRex is planning to make a big announcement on Monday September 22nd. It apparently involves both hardware and software. It seems they're not content to stay still while Amazon and Sony steal their thunder. They're planning to "unveil a new era in digital reading", so one can only guess what that would mean.

Karel states that he will "share more details" about what's coming, so I doubt we will see a new product for sale on Monday.

Let the speculation begin (again).
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
From the i-to-i blog.

iRex is planning to make a big announcement on Monday September 22nd. It apparently involves both hardware and software. It seems they're not content to stay still while Amazon and Sony steal their thunder. They're planning to "unveil a new era in digital reading", so one can only guess what that would mean.

Karel states that he will "share more details" about what's coming, so I doubt we will see a new product for sale on Monday.

Let the speculation begin (again).
9,7" display to be released during spring 2009 anyone?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I seems that a larger version of the iLiad is likely.

I'm also going to going to guess that they've completed the viewer framework, and are setting up a wireless book store.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
viewer framework (and improved UI) would be nice, yes.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
lowmagnet
lowmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
viewer framework (and improved UI) would be nice, yes.
As long as everyone out there benefits. I seem to remember something from a few days back about them dumping java and going native to save battery life and cpu time.
lowmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quite clearly it'll be a new cover with a built-in green neon highlighting light. Kinda like those wall-mounted HDTV displays that someone was selling a year or so ago. Very sexy. Battery life will be marginally effected.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
why is everyone introducing a "new era"....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
The fact they say "on the horizon" makes me feel anything is going to take quite some time to arrive. Pity.

I'd guess it will be something like built in phone, larger display (as suggested) or foldable/flexible display.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Isn't that picture Kindle shaped?
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Isn't that picture Kindle shaped?
Interesting observation. It does indeed look to be Kindle shaped...

Edit: Looking at the big picture on iRex's main page, it seems that both sides are bulging are are more rounded. Maybe that's not actually the shape of the new device.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Quite clearly it'll be a new cover with a built-in green neon highlighting light. Kinda like those wall-mounted HDTV displays that someone was selling a year or so ago.
ACK, "Ambilight" was my first thought too...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Interesting observation. It does indeed look to be Kindle shaped...

Edit: Looking at the big picture on iRex's main page, it seems that both sides are bulging are are more rounded. Maybe that's not actually the shape of the new device.
Yes, I understand that iRex is buying Amazon and will be stuffing Jeff Bezos himself into the Kindles. They're out now looking for Steve Jobs who is next in line.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Regarding the size of the display Irex has always been a step ahead of the competition, so l think they will release a device with a 9.7 inches screen in the next weeks while all the others(sony, astak, amazon...) will release it in the next spring.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Well, we knew this had to happen.

They are certainly gonna release a lager iLiad (9.7"). (or they could surprise me and make it larger...)

Hopefully this time they'll get hardware right (power management, faster cpu).
Maybe even integrate a 3G module.

That would be great.

But I'll tell you what's on the horizon: Plastic Logic.

And that means they have to release before 2009, things don't look good otherwise.

On the software front: a new viewer framework (modular).

Price €550
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
Noldi
Noldi began at the beginning.

Device: I'm waiting for plastic logic
The factury of plastic logic in Dresden (Germany) opened today. I bet that Irex gets problems when plastic logic starts to sell their device.
Noldi is offline   Reply With Quote