Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
uieluck:

You're telling me you created an .azw3 file by using Excel? Or Pages?

I don't think so.

Hitch
there is a version of Pages on the iPad that can produce an ePub. I don't know about the mac version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
there is a version of Pages on the iPad that can produce an ePub. I don't know about the mac version.

Dale
Hi, Dale:

Yes, of course. And it produces just that: an .epub file, not an AZW3 file. Nothing produces an AZW3 file, outside of Amazon, but Calibre. And certainly not emoties, Excel and Pages, that's utter codswallop. Sure, s/he can make an ePUB using Pages, and feed it to KP or KDP or something else to make a .mobi file, or even a .prc file...but an AZW3 is a Calibre product, period.

Emoties. Man, that is the post of the week. What on earth that has to do with having enough knowledge to bloody CHARGE people, I certainly do NOT know.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Dale
But it doesn't work correctly. It doesn't use emoticons and Excel and doesn't output AZW3 files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hi, Dale:

Yes, of course. And it produces just that: an .epub file, not an AZW3 file. Nothing produces an AZW3 file, outside of Amazon, but Calibre. And certainly not emoties, Excel and Pages, that's utter codswallop. Sure, s/he can make an ePUB using Pages, and feed it to KP or KDP or something else to make a .mobi file, or even a .prc file...but an AZW3 is a Calibre product, period.
Not entirely true. You can also use kindlegen, and KindleUnpack to split the resulting dual MOBI.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Not entirely true. You can also use kindlegen, and KindleUnpack to split the resulting dual MOBI.
Into...

a prc and a mobi, right? You're not saying that KU splits out an AZW3, are you?

(And, even if it did...I'm pretty sure that the OP isn't using KU. FWIW, but I'm curious to hear the rest about KU. I mostly don't use it, except on very rare occasions, so I wouldn't know this.)

Hitch
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never used it myself either, but that is what the thread says. Not sure what the point of making a .prc out of a dual MOBI would be...

I was just raising a technicality.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Never used it myself either, but that is what the thread says. Not sure what the point of making a .prc out of a dual MOBI would be...

I was just raising a technicality.
Okay, now you're really confusing me. Where/who/what claimed that Mobiunpack creates an AZW3, besides you? MY point is that there isn't anything out there, OUTSIDE of Amazon's internal processes, that creates an AZW3 file, except for Calibre, which is what the OP uploaded. Are we disagreeing on that?

P.S.: and, c'mon, guys: enough with the "Who's on First" crap. First it was a book that shouldn't have been posted; then a book that used 5-year-old pagebreaks; then a question as to whether it was a commercial (paid) book; then a claim that it was an AZW3 made with string and baling wire, then it was someone saying that Pages made ePUBs, and THEN someone saying that somehow, KU was mixed up in it. Enough already, eh? We all know what this is and was.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 10-23-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Added my P.S.:
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I do not believe KU (Kindle unpack) creates any kind of MOBI file but it can split the file KindleGen makes. KindleGen will make both a KF8 (AZW3) and KF7 (MOBI) from an ePub which can be read by either device. Why are we trying to split hairs over the AZW3 extension? It is the standard extension to identify KF8 files which are really ePub files in a MOBI wrapper. I do agree that the OP is an amateur trying to charge for his work it would seem.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I do not believe KU (Kindle unpack) creates any kind of MOBI file but it can split the file KindleGen makes. KindleGen will make both a KF8 (AZW3) and KF7 (MOBI) from an ePub which can be read by either device. Why are we trying to split hairs over the AZW3 extension? It is the standard extension to identify KF8 files which are really ePub files in a MOBI wrapper. I do agree that the OP is an amateur trying to charge for his work it would seem.
DaleDe:

No. AZW3 is an Amazon-crafted file extension for the KF8 files, that have been through the post-upload Amazon workflow, what they call the "PW" or Publishing Workflow. The only other files that have/use/create that file extension, outside of the Amazon ecosystem, are those made with Calibre.

THAT was my entire point. That the file that was uploaded was obviously Calibre-made, that's IT. How this went off the rails on KU, or Pages, or any other thing, I'm damned if I know. The Calibre conversion was simply the icing on the rest of the cake.

Done here, since for some reason, I seem to be the guy in the Gary Larsen cartoon talking to the damned dog, or Charlie Brown's parents, take your pick.

Hitch
Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
DaleDe:

No. AZW3 is an Amazon-crafted file extension for the KF8 files, that have been through the post-upload Amazon workflow, what they call the "PW" or Publishing Workflow. The only other files that have/use/create that file extension, outside of the Amazon ecosystem, are those made with Calibre.
All files in my Kindle eBook directory download using KindleforPC as .azw. Even the KF8 are .azw. When a KF8 is loaded into Calibre, the file extension is changed to .azw3. When an eBook is created using Calibre in KF8 format, the file extension is .azw3.

KindleUnpack does not create any eBooks from a combination Mobi except for an ePub and that is technically flawed until fixed.

So what Hitch is saying is correct that only Calibre uses the extension .azw3 for a KF8 eBook.

Quote:
THAT was my entire point. That the file that was uploaded was obviously Calibre-made, that's IT. How this went off the rails on KU, or Pages, or any other thing, I'm damned if I know. The Calibre conversion was simply the icing on the rest of the cake.
The OP said he uses emoticons, Excel, and Pages to create eBooks. That's how we got on that track.

Quote:
Done here, since for some reason, I seem to be the guy in the Gary Larsen cartoon talking to the damned dog, or Charlie Brown's parents, take your pick.
I think we should all be done here as the OP has no clue what to do. I especially liked the bit about using emoticons to make eBooks. That's just so beyond clueless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Okay, now you're really confusing me. Where/who/what claimed that Mobiunpack creates an AZW3, besides you? MY point is that there isn't anything out there, OUTSIDE of Amazon's internal processes, that creates an AZW3 file, except for Calibre, which is what the OP uploaded. Are we disagreeing on that?

P.S.: and, c'mon, guys: enough with the "Who's on First" crap. First it was a book that shouldn't have been posted; then a book that used 5-year-old pagebreaks; then a question as to whether it was a commercial (paid) book; then a claim that it was an AZW3 made with string and baling wire, then it was someone saying that Pages made ePUBs, and THEN someone saying that somehow, KU was mixed up in it. Enough already, eh? We all know what this is and was.

Hitch
To be honest, I am not really sure what is so complicated about this. I agree the OP was assuredly not using KindleUnpack, I was simply raising a technicality... it is factually untrue that only calibre creates .azw3 outside Amazon. KindleUnpack will absolutely split a dual_MOBI file created by kindlegen into a:
  • .mobi
  • .azw3
  • kindlegensrc.zip
  • mobi7/
  • mobi8/
  • other assorted stuff

by reverse-engineering the format and splitting the records the same way Amazon would.

Let me quote what I said:

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, Dale:

Did I by any chance imply that IS what happened? No, I was clearly replying to your statement:

Quote:
Nothing produces an AZW3 file, outside of Amazon, but Calibre. [...] but an AZW3 is a Calibre product, period.
Quote:
DaleDe:

Hitch
"AZW3 is an Amazon-crafted file extension for the KF8 files"? OK, now who is the one raising meaningless technicalities? At least my technicality had some actual meaning to it...
.azw3 is the official file extension for Kindle Format 8. Granted, those tend to come from Amazon... on account of they are the only people with the software to create pure KF8 files, outside of reverse-engineered stuff like calibre (and KindleUnpack)... this would be because it is a proprietary format. The idea that a company cannot create an official file extension for their own proprietary format...

Seriously. I was fully in agreement with you. You are the one who dragged my mention of KindleUnpack into a whole song-and-a-dance.

Are you saying we are no longer allowed to go offtopic on MR?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All files in my Kindle eBook directory download using KindleforPC as .azw. Even the KF8 are .azw. When a KF8 is loaded into Calibre, the file extension is changed to .azw3. When an eBook is created using Calibre in KF8 format, the file extension is .azw3.
And my Kindle Touch downloads them natively as .azw3 -- what's the therefore?

Quote:
KindleUnpack does not create any eBooks from a combination Mobi except for an ePub and that is technically flawed until fixed.
Wrong. See above.

Quote:
So what Hitch is saying is correct that only Calibre uses the extension .azw3 for a KF8 eBook.
Wrong...

You do realize every time you pipe up, at best you say nothing new and at worst you repeat others' mistakes?

Thank you for your valuable contributions.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-25-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
To be honest, I am not really sure what is so complicated about this. I agree the OP was assuredly not using KindleUnpack, I was simply raising a technicality... it is factually untrue that only calibre creates .azw3 outside Amazon. KindleUnpack will absolutely split a dual_MOBI file created by kindlegen into a:
  • .mobi
  • .azw3
  • kindlegensrc.zip
  • mobi7/
  • mobi8/
  • other assorted stuff

by reverse-engineering the format and splitting the records the same way Amazon would.

Let me quote what I said:

Did I by any chance imply that IS what happened? No, I was clearly replying to your statement:

"AZW3 is an Amazon-crafted file extension for the KF8 files"? OK, now who is the one raising meaningless technicalities? At least my technicality had some actual meaning to it...
.azw3 is the official file extension for Kindle Format 8. Granted, those tend to come from Amazon... on account of they are the only people with the software to create pure KF8 files, outside of reverse-engineered stuff like calibre (and KindleUnpack)... this would be because it is a proprietary format. The idea that a company cannot create an official file extension for their own proprietary format...

Seriously. I was fully in agreement with you. You are the one who dragged my mention of KindleUnpack into a whole song-and-a-dance.

Are you saying we are no longer allowed to go offtopic on MR?
NO. This is now seriously beyond the pale. My entire point--all of it--was that we know that the OP used Calibre to fashion the book for which s/he was charging, because someone who is asking how to create page-breaks, who tried to use a nearly 6-year old piece of coding to create page-breaks, MOST LIKELY is not using KU. That's it. My point was, if you a) don't know how to make page-breaks in mobi, and b) are using Calibre to create PAID work, you shouldn't be charging. NOW, I'M DONE.

And if your Touch downloads AZW3 files, great. I'm happy you're right. I've never seen an AZW3, on any of my devices, outside of Calibre-created files. Only AZW's. OTOH, not being a Calibre-freak, I haven't been looking for them, either. And I don't pay particular attention to AZW's, EITHER, because we're making mobis; I'm not exploding, unpacking, "cleaning" or "fixing" or whatever people say they are doing, etc., OTHER PEOPLE'S MOBIs. Jesus wept.

Honestly, this entire conversation has done absolutely sweet FA but degrade into mindless jibber-jabber since it started. Maybe it's the curse of the emoticons. NOW, everybody else can rejoice in BEING RIGHT, to the nth degree of pedantry. Hooray!!!

Hitch
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
NO. This is now seriously beyond the pale. My entire point--all of it--was that we know that the OP used Calibre to fashion the book for which s/he was charging, because someone who is asking how to create page-breaks, who tried to use a nearly 6-year old piece of coding to create page-breaks, MOST LIKELY is not using KU. That's it. My point was, if you a) don't know how to make page-breaks in mobi, and b) are using Calibre to create PAID work, you shouldn't be charging. NOW, I'M DONE.
Great. You made your point. We all heard it the first time, and agreed.

Quote:
And if your Touch downloads AZW3 files, great. I'm happy you're right. I've never seen an AZW3, on any of my devices, outside of Calibre-created files. Only AZW's. OTOH, not being a Calibre-freak, I haven't been looking for them, either. And I don't pay particular attention to AZW's, EITHER, because we're making mobis; I'm not exploding, unpacking, "cleaning" or "fixing" or whatever people say they are doing, etc., OTHER PEOPLE'S MOBIs. Jesus wept.
Now here I wasn't even talking to you. When I pick apart JSWolf's (failure to have) logical analyses, that need not have anything whatsoever to do with anything you said.

Quote:
Honestly, this entire conversation has done absolutely sweet FA but degrade into mindless jibber-jabber since it started. Maybe it's the curse of the emoticons. NOW, everybody else can rejoice in BEING RIGHT, to the nth degree of pedantry. Hooray!!!

Hitch
I sincerely apologize for having the effrontery to speak when what I said wasn't strictly in compliance with the thread title.

Hmm, someone is in an especially grumpy mood these last few days.

Quote:
FWIW, but I'm curious to hear the rest about KU. I mostly don't use it, except on very rare occasions, so I wouldn't know this.)
Real about-face there. I wish I would've known beforehand, saved myself all the bother of being randomly attacked for answering a question.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

You're right.

I'm adult enough to admit when I was cranky and wrong. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped. I didn't mean to snap "at you," but it certainly came out sounding that way. I was just snapping about the whole stupid scenario in the first place. It really did feel like some obdurate "Who's on First" thing.

Mea culpa, and I'm sorry.

Hitch