Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Fire OS4 update coming soon

Well, we all know the OS is coming, at least for 2013 Fire's, but a "letter" from Jeff appeared on my Fire's carousel recently saying it'll be here in the "coming weeks" and touting a number of new features and an all new visual design.

Some highlights...

- User Profiles (available in the US, UK & Germany)
With Profiles, each family memeber gets their own profile, including individual email, Facebook and Twitter accounts, page in the book, spot in the movie, and game levels. Profiles are available in the U.S., U.K., and Germany.

- Office Docs - view, edit & create Office docs using WPS Office (also integrated with Cloud Drive)
Now you can view, edit, and create Office documents for free using WPS Office, the most popular Android Office app. WPS Office is compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. It also integrated with Cloud Drive, so your Office documents are automatically backed up and available through the Cloud Drive app on other mobile devices and computers.

- Longer Battery Life (Smart Suspend)
If you leave a tablet unplugged overnight, most devices will typically continue to connect to Wi-Fi and consume power, even in standby mode. To solve this problem, Smart Suspend develops a customized profile for when your device is typically not in use and proactively turns wireless off and on to save power. Smart Suspend will still turn on Wi-Fi periodically to fetch new emails or app notifications, so when you pick up your tablet it's ready to go and up to date.

- New Weather and Calculator apps
Weather provides a quick snapshot of hourly and daily weather, and also features RealFeel temperature to account for factors such as humidity and wind. Calculator's elegant display makes number crunching fast and easy.

- Full-Screen Immersive Mode
Apps and games in immersive mode now fill the entire screen for a more engrossing experience, with navigation controls only a swipe away.

- Backup & Restore
You can automatically back up device settings, email and wireless configurations, notes, bookmarks, and more to Amazon's Cloud for free and without need for configuration or connection to a computer, so it's easy to restore information to a new Fire if your device is lost or damaged.

Probably nothing new to some folks, but thought I'd post it in case someone found it useful.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Impressive, interesting that the Family Time will not be in the first update. Though I should not be surprised since this update is probably to catch them up to the 2014 version.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is a big deal: finally Amazon is keeping previous generation Fires 'fresh' by updating the OS, something that's routine on iOS and Android. The new features are kind of secondary for me, though 'smart suspend' should be very helpful.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I got the cover letter but the detail pages we light black on dark black; thus, illegible.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I hope they update the Fire Phone with Smart Suspend - having Wifi on chews up the battery life.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is a big deal: finally Amazon is keeping previous generation Fires 'fresh' by updating the OS, something that's routine on iOS and Android. The new features are kind of secondary for me, though 'smart suspend' should be very helpful.
This is not a new practice, they have always done this for the previous years devices. Not the years before that though.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I hope they update the Fire Phone with Smart Suspend - having Wifi on chews up the battery life.
They most likely will.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just got my letter. I'm excited! Amazon hasn't in the past updated previous year models on the Fire. I believe this is a first.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Current Op Sys & Software Versions ----> Fire Support ---- Software Updates

4th Generation - 2014
  • Fire HDX 8.9 ------> 4.x.x ---- not released
  • Fire HD 7 ----------> 4.1.1 ---- 20.4.1.1
  • Fire HD 6 ----------> 4.1.1 ---- 20.4.1.1

3rd Generation - 2013
  • Fire HDX 8.9 ------> 3.2.6 ---- 14.3.2.6
  • Fire HDX 7 --------> 3.2.6 ---- 13.3.2.6
  • Fire HD 7 2nd -----> 3.2.6 ---- 11.3.2.6

2nd Generation - 2012
  • Fire HD 8.9 ------> x.x.x ------ 8.4.9
  • Fire HD 7 1st ----> x.x.x ------ 7.4.9
  • Fire 2nd Gen -----> x.x.x ---- 10.5.0

1st Generation - 2011
  • Fire 1st Gen -----> x.x.x ------ 6.3.3

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-05-2014 at 10:08 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just got my letter. I'm excited! Amazon hasn't in the past updated previous year models on the Fire. I believe this is a first.
I disagree because last year did they not update the first generation pw to match the second, the same with the Fires getting the new software??
Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I disagree because last year did they not update the first generation pw to match the second, the same with the Fires getting the new software??
Nope 2012 fire are still running the same software they came with. 2013 model will be the first to get the next year's features.

In 2013 Amazon introduced Mojito and only the 2013 Fires have it. The 2012 is running on Android 4 hybrid based off I think Ice cream Sandwich.
The 2011 version has Android hybrid based off of Gingerbread.
The 2014 models will have Fire 04 and now so will the 2013 models. This is the first time they have done this.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-06-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Nope 2012 fire are still running the same software they came with. 2013 model will be the first to get the next year's features.

In 2013 Amazon introduced Mojito and only the 2013 Fires have it. The 2012 is running on Android 4 based off I think Jelly Bean.
The 2011 version has Android based off Gingerbread.
The 2014 models will have Fire 04 and now so will the 2013 models. This is the first time they have done this.
Oh ok I think I understand now, this the first time they are updating the previous devices with the newest OS, not just the software enhancements. Thanks for explaining it to me.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:

In 2013 Amazon introduced Mojito and only the 2013 Fires have it. The 2012 is running on Android 4 based off I think Jelly Bean.
The 2011 version has Android based off Gingerbread.
Well my 2012 Fire HD 8.9 was updated to give me the ability to download Prime videos! I believe that was a feature introduced with the 2013 models!

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Well my 2012 Fire HD 8.9 was updated to give me the ability to download Prime videos! I believe that was a feature introduced with the 2013 models!

Yes but 2013 has a totally different operating system than the 2012 model. This will be the first time Amazon has upgraded a previous year model to another O/S. We are not getting just new features we are getting a whole new operating system. It's like going from JellyBean to KitKat if you own a Nexus 7.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle Fire Android Versions
  • 4th Gen (2014) ---> Android 4.4.4 KitKat ---> Fire OS 4.x Sangria
  • 3rd Gen (2013) ---> Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ---> Fire OS 3.x Mojito
  • 2nd Gen (2012) ---> Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 1st Gen (2011) ----> Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote