Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #76
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
It's great that companies strive to produce devices with increasingly efficient power usage, but it still feels depressingly like we're saddled with battery tech that hasn't significantly improved over the past two decades.
oh, it's been significantly improved indeed. It just can't match our power hunger.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #77
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can see many uses outside the world of eBooks. eInk displays would be idea for advertising displays, since they are daylight readable. Video capabilities would certainly be beneficial in that area.
Agreed, but this discussion is specifically about the world of ebooks, and why you might want to display video on a dedicated reader. The use I can see is a multi-media ebook.

eInk displays would be good for advertising displays, though I suspect such things would be rather larger than the ones currently made. Daylight readable displays are common now using other technologies - the question is whether you mind the power requirements. And advertisers really like color, which will be an additional factor in the decision.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #78
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
No one seems to have pointed out the obvious:
this technological jump is not all about black-and-white video on e-ink - it seems to make possible an e-ink screen that requires negligible refresh time and overall improved responsiveness.

A lot of users complain about the flash between pages on e-ink. I can't say it bothers me greatly, but I would definitely rather not have it!

And the other Kindle features are rendered useless to me due to the limitations of the screen (notes, dictionary, highlighting, browser). The browser would actually be worth using if it had a good refresh rate, and I no longer would avoid moving the cursor around the screen to get a word definition if it was a lot smoother.

Simple animations would be great on e-ink too for text books and children's books, etc.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
No one seems to have pointed out the obvious:
this technological jump is not all about black-and-white video on e-ink - it seems to make possible an e-ink screen that requires negligible refresh time and overall improved responsiveness.

A lot of users complain about the flash between pages on e-ink. I can't say it bothers me greatly, but I would definitely rather not have it!

see post #55
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #80
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
oh, it's been significantly improved indeed. It just can't match our power hunger.
And, unfortunately, battery tech is constrained by the laws of physics.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #81
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
And as everyone knows, ye cannae change the laws of physics.

*bows*
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #82
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm really surprised by this. What does it means? If it is true why the panel producer always say e-ink refresh rate is limited at second? It didn't say the power consumption when refresh, maybe it looks like an overoclock to the panel, and it is harmful to the screen?

But the benefit is obvious, and low refresh rate is primary reason that people still need to read on Lcd based laptop after they bought e-ink reader. Why viewing video is useless on e-ink? Not to mention the multi-media content, page-flipping, and panning page around, all these are benefited by high refresh rate.

Last edited by whitepaper; 02-20-2011 at 01:12 AM.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #83
Dava
Enthusiast
Dava began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy I5700 Spica, Kindle 3
Realy cool! But how much will it cost?
Dava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #84
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Dava and welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #85
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Welcome to MR, Dava!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #86
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
And as everyone knows, ye cannae change the laws of physics.

*bows*
theoretically anyway.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #87
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
This could be an excellent computer screen for word processing. It is fast enough for interactive work and no power constraints for desktops. If they were selling them, I would definitely buy one
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #88
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
It looks pretty cool. I don't need video on my ebook device, but input, navigation, pageturning and so on would all be greatly improved with a better refresh rate. As long as it does not have any serious drawbacks I'd welcome this tech...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #89
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Semi-rugged won't happen. (Just look at iPhone.)
I'm looking at my Fluke test equipment and saying it will.
What would best replace an embarkation box of military technical manuals in the field?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #90
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
This could be an excellent computer screen for word processing. It is fast enough for interactive work and no power constraints for desktops. If they were selling them, I would definitely buy one
See the Alphasmart Dana: http://www.neo-direct.com/

Not eInk, but good battery life and purpose built to be a word processor.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote