Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #31
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
When I use my MacBook as an eReader, I get much better than the battery life mentioned by the official specs. I assume the same for an iPad when used as an eReader.

I own Apple and Windows notebooks. One thing I noticed is my Apple products get much better battery life.

Battery life on my Windows based notebooks is usually 1/2 that of Apple's and they die a quicker death. To get the equivalent Apple performance, I have to bring an extra battery for Windows.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #32
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
It's pretty, but for me, that's all it has going for it. Personally, I have no interest in another (essentially) closed system. I don't want to be spending for device-specific materials. If I want to read, I'll get a reader. If I want the other stuff, I'll get a laptop or notebook.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
One of the accessory packs for the iPad is the camera connection pack, this contains an SD card reader and a USB host port, presumably with the right applications you are going to be able to read these file systems. Given that someone (with access to the developer kit) has already stated that there is this concept of "shared folders" that are accessible by apps on the device, you'll probably find that what gets attached to the connection kit (camera or sd card) will be mounted there. What will be really interesting is if the USB video stuff is in there to detect webcams for video .....

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trehberg View Post
I think the Ipad is basically an enlarged Ipod Touch, but it would be so much more useful if it supported printing, either Wi-fi, Bluetooth, or through the 30-pin connection. I don't understand the iWorks value if you can't print.
You can print from the iPhone/Touch-it found my printer over Bonjour. I agree, though, I seriously doubt they would ship iWork on it without print capability...with the caveat that you probably need a printer already attached to a computer, or one of the wi-fi equipped ones.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #35
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 3G version of the iPad has GPS/A-GPS, so the mapping/location apps should work great with it.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #36
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
To be able to print, you need a printer driver, and I seriously doubt that gigabytes of printer drivers (that what is installed on OS X) will be installed on the iPad. And even with the gigabytes installed, there is not all printer driver needed (for exemple I still need to install a driver for my Canon MP970)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #37
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
I suspect it is accurate. They claim 5 to 6 hours for the iPod Touch and I find that's what I get for most usage.
The battery life for a Touch is only 5-6 hours? Wow. I guess that's with wifi turned on?
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
To be able to print, you need a printer driver, and I seriously doubt that gigabytes of printer drivers (that what is installed on OS X) will be installed on the iPad. And even with the gigabytes installed, there is not all printer driver needed (for exemple I still need to install a driver for my Canon MP970)
Not with the iPhone or Touch. I'm guessing Apple is using a similar method to what HP's free app, and other printing apps are doing.

Quote:
HP iPrint Photo prints to more than 200 HP inkjet printer models and with HP's image scaling and de-noise technology, you'll get the great print quality you count on from HP.

Plus, HP iPrint Photo automatically discovers and sets up your wireless HP inkjet printer without the need to install drivers or deal with complex network configurations.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #39
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Hum from which Application on iPodTouch/iPhone are you able to print?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #40
kjk

Quote:
Hum from which Application on iPodTouch/iPhone are you able to print?
Depends on the app. The HP one just prints photos. ePrint prints notes and webpages. Hopefully the iPad expands printing to all apps-at least iWork, and won't require a 3rd party solution, or a bunch of printer drivers.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #41
Godzil

How do you know that the iPad is able to print ?

Can't find any clue about this on the Apple pages
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #42
kjk

Quote:
How do you know that the iPad is able to print ?

Can't find any clue about this on the Apple pages
I don't know. What I'm saying is the iPhone and Touch can print, without gigabytes of printer drivers installed. And guessing that if Apple is shipping a productivity suite with the iPad, that they will have at least given some thought to printing.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
All I need it to add for me to buy is:

Built in handwriting support that makes writing accurate and precise and allows me to mark up--at the least--PDFs and word documents--if not any content on the device

Multitasking. I want a tablet for academic research, need to be able to go online and search for articles cited in the one I'm reading without closing the reading program, be able to check and send e-mail while doing other things etc.

Flash--for hulu and other video sites etc. Though this one's not a deal breaker.

If it had the 1st two features I'd preorder one for sure.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #44
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
It doesn't matter how great a machine the Ipad is, it's not going to bomb. I'm sorry, but people just don't read anymore.

Now that I have e-ink, it's hard to imagine trying to read on lcd. If there was a way to hook an e-ink monitor to my computer, there are certain days where I think I'd do it. Not when I'm surfing the interwebs, but when I'm spending hours typing and proof-reading or researching.

And that's why "the Steve" can say that nobody will read for 10 hours. Cuz it's LCD. Anyone would walk away with migraines.
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Flash--for hulu and other video sites etc. Though this one's not a deal breaker.

If it had the 1st two features I'd preorder one for sure.
I'm wondering if Hulu will provide HTML5/.H264 support at some point...they seem intent on embracing any device. http://gigaom.com/2010/01/29/hulus-p...bile-internet/