Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
bliink
bliink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, RIP Sony PRS-500
Issue with dull screen and ghosting

I've had my Reader for about 3 weeks now and only recently I've noticed a strange grey area within the screen. The 5mm borders of the screen are still fine, but there's a totally rectanguar area in the middle which just stays determindly grey.

It's especially noticable when I turn off the reader as the section in the middle where the text appears is visibly darker than the rest of the screen. The ghosting in this area has gotten really bad as well with the screen off, not only can I still see the initial TOC, I can even see the text from my last book! I've tried a soft-reset and fully charging it up, no luck.

Has anyone had this problem?
bliink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A certain amount of ghosting is perfectly normal - it's a characteristic of the eInk screen, as the spec of the Reader on Sony's web site specifically says.

As you saying that it's so bad that it actually interferes with that the screen is displaying?

When my Reader is off I can see that there is something on the screen, but it's no more than a "shadow" - certainly not clear enough to read, or anything like that.

The reading area of the screen is "dull" - ie it's not a "shiny" finish. Have you tried reading in different light conditions - the appearance of the screen (at least to my eyes) changes quite dramatically with the lighting conditions. In strong daylight or good artificial light the screen is almost white, whereas in dim light it looks a dark grey with very poor contrast between screen and text. This is a device which really does need good light to use comfortably.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-11-2007 at 06:21 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
bliink
bliink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, RIP Sony PRS-500
The ghosting isn't at a level which is interferring with the reading capabilities but the screen is significantly darker than it was when I first got it. The edges of the screen are still light but the centre of the screen is getting darker and darker.

Right now the issue is just annoying, but I'm getting more and more afraid that the screen is going to darken to the level that reading will be impossible. This is already my second unit (dead line on the first one), and I'd hate to have to return this one as well.
bliink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliink
The ghosting isn't at a level which is interferring with the reading capabilities but the screen is significantly darker than it was when I first got it. The edges of the screen are still light but the centre of the screen is getting darker and darker.

Right now the issue is just annoying, but I'm getting more and more afraid that the screen is going to darken to the level that reading will be impossible. This is already my second unit (dead line on the first one), and I'd hate to have to return this one as well.
I thought I would bring this to the top again. I have this condition on my reader. Has anyone returned their reader to Sony for this condition?

The darkening of the center gets better on a page turn but returns quickly to the darkened condition. Charging, Resetting to default and unit resetting does not fix the problem. The affect cuts the contrast in that area and is distracting when trying to read.

Any suggestions?

Another rather strange phenomenom I note on my reader. Try it. Looking at the reader at about t 45 degree angle with the reader off I note a ghosting black area in the center of the screen. If I kinda stare at it with unfocused vision I get an aurora type waving and fading. I had my wife do it and she could see the same affect. I is almost like there is a charge floating around on the screen. Strange!!

Norm
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliink

I have the same rectangular area. It happened one day when I used my reader outdoors. This area is barely visible, you can have a look at the following page (actually this page is about contrast adjustment, but it contains recent images of my screen):

http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/contrast.html
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
brian_el_nino
brian_el_nino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm having the same exact problem, bliink. When I resize text and some type falls on the outside edges of the screen, that type is much clearer and legible because the background is whiter. But there a huge rectangle within 5 mm of the edge which is fuzzy, no matter what the light conditions are. As a matter of fact, after I turn the Reader off I can see a darker rectangle, which takes up most of the screen. Very frustrated, because when I originally bought the Reader, it looked fine.

Last edited by brian_el_nino; 06-09-2007 at 04:52 PM.
brian_el_nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
brian_el_nino
brian_el_nino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey bliink,

I called Sony at 1-800-222-7669, had the Reader authorized for repairs, and sent it to San Diego (Sony factory service center). A week later, I have received my Reader and at a glimpse it seems that the problem has been resolved. I think I'll give the Reader a second chance.
brian_el_nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_el_nino View Post
Hey bliink,

I called Sony at 1-800-222-7669, had the Reader authorized for repairs, and sent it to San Diego (Sony factory service center). A week later, I have received my Reader and at a glimpse it seems that the problem has been resolved. I think I'll give the Reader a second chance.
For once... great support! Glad got it working now.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote