Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #316
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@ratflinger: did you copy your desired images to the screensaver folder under the linkss folder, and then do a Restart?
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #317
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Did you restart the kindle once you loaded your own screensavers?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #318
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ratflinger:

1/ If you're talking abount system/screen_saver, you were using older hacks, which explains why the update failed.

2/ There's no 'script' saying the update was successful, just the default custom screensaver.

3/ When did you upload the linkss directory? After the install? (If that's the case, restart your Kindle, if that's not the case, make sure it's in the right place, and that nothing in it is missing, and then restart your Kindle).

EDIT: Huh, missed the 22nd page. >_<".

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2010 at 12:44 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #319
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@brecklundin: Yeah, I guess a dedicated wiki page could be done. It stayed on the forum for now because I wasn't 100% sure of every font, so it was easier to adapt the first post with feedback from people, but once we're pretty sure it's mostly correct, why not? If you have ideas for what to put on it, appart from the list of fonts used and where they're used, I'm open to suggestions .
Sounds like an idea to me...I am buried with work right now along with tons of doc/lab vists as well but I am playing around and keeping notes and a map of what works for what.... When I have a better idea of what seems to map to what, I'll pass it along to ya here and we all can compare notes the proceed from there, unless folks have already gone for it elsewhere.

So far I have not run into any compatibility issues but have only changed a couple font faces for the "kindle styles" (for lack of a better term right now). I can say if it were not for your and other folks work at the hack we would not have near this level of potential control over the Kindle UI. So again, great job and have fun taking it further over time.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #320
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ratflinger:

1/ If you're talking abount system/screen_saver, you were using older hackq, which explain why the update failed.

No it was an earlier version of yours, I didn't do it that long ago. I had to run the uninstaller to get the latest Kindle updates to pass

2/ There's no 'script' saying the update was successful, just the default custom screensaver.

Yeah, I don't get that either

3/ When did you upload the linkss directory? After the install? (If that's the case, restart your Kindle, if that's not the case, make sure it's ine the right place, and that nothing in it is missing, and then restart your Kindle).

Thought I did, but no harm in starting again. Nothing changed. What I have in the /linkss/screensavers is all the Kindle gifs minus the dead authors. In the /system/screen_savers it's the Kindle gifs w/o the dead authors. Don't know where these guys are hiding at now, but I'm tired of looking at them.

Appreciate everyone's help.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #321
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1/ No, my hack *never* used the /system/whatever folder.

2-3/ What about the other directories of the linkss folder? And, again, the hack doesn't use the /system folder, your custom ss go in the linkss/screensavers folder.

If it's still not working after making sure the linkss directory is in order, attach the file created (in the documents folder) by typing

;dumpMessages

in the search box on the Home screen.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #322
pnt
pnt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
@NiLuJe

really appreciate your excellent work here!

and I have several suggestions regarding to usbnetwork hack,
which will make the hack more clean:

- host / kindle IP setting should be separated from bin/usbnetwork to etc/config
- default route shouldn't be modified in bin/usbnetwork, and should move to
bin/usbnet-enable (change default gw to host PC) and bin/usbnet-disable (change
default gw to whispernet).

hope you can understand.
and I want to thank you for your great hacks, again.
pnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #323
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Yeah, realize your hack doesn't change system directories, I was just saying the after I rooted the unit that was where i originally went to delete the dead authors.

Attached is the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...280207478upper part of the dump file
Attached Files
File Type: txt dump.txt (236.9 KB, 555 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #324
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ratflinger: I'll need the *end* of the dump, in fact. It's in chronological order, so, your excerpt stop sometime on the 16th of July... Not very helpful in our case .

But I see you *were* using the older SS hacks, which explains why you keep referring to the system folder . Just keep in mind that mine doesn't work the same way, and doesn't use this directory at all .

@pnt: I'll check/fix that sometime tomorrow, thanks!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #325
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
If I want customized fonts, how do I prepare font files? Are there any requirement of font file format or naming? For example, I have been using a font file with Sony PRS-600 and I am really want to keep the same reading experiences. Can I directly use that font file with Kindle DX font hack? The reason I ask is that the font name needs to be changed to SONY convention to be used in PRS-600, not just font file name.

Thanks!!!
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #326
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Pure TrueType fonts (.ttf), for the naming convention, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=97)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #327
ratflinger
Enthusiast

argh--

I'll try this one more time & then quit bothering you. Thanks for your help & the hacks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1280296140
Attached Files
File Type: txt dump2.txt (482.1 KB, 604 views)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #328
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Still no trace of official update in your logs. I see a bunch of ss 0.9 install/uninstall, and that's all.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #329
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Successfully updated to Kindle's latest release 2.5.4

Just a quick note for feedback and sanity purposes.

I am running the Kindle hack releases (v0.7.N & v3.4.N) which are a tad behind the latest versions. Just a few minutes ago I downloaded the latest official Kindle upgrade binary file for US Kindles. This is Kindle version 2.5.4. It installed without any complains whatsoever and my font hack and screensaver hacks are still operational.

I would have installed the latest hack files but the release notes indicate that these contain minor changes that do not really impact me.

This should handle any trepidations that might be out there regarding functionality with the new official release. Automatic updates do not work for me because I am ouside of the whispernet coverage area but I will make the big assumption that this has no bearing on the final upgrade process.
yecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #330
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No issues either on my k2i with both the 2.5.4 & 2.5.6 updates .

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet