Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
besca147
besca147 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm getting confused

I'm looking at Fictionwise and it says for a PRS-505 we need MultiFormat. Ok so far... but when I'm browsing the available books, a lot of them say this:

Quote:
[Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader]
Does that mean those ones are unavailable to me?

Many thanks

Last edited by besca147; 01-18-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: To express gratitude
besca147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The "Secure" (DRMed) formats that the Sony supports are Sony's own (Sony store only) and Adobe's PDF and ePub. So one option is to shop at a store with a good selection of Adobe ebooks. Probably the most often recommended here is Books on Board. I also like WHSmiths for UK releases.

Another option is to buy any of the three Secure formats and strip the DRM (eReader via ereader2html, MS Reader via "ConvertLIT GUI", and Mobipocket va mobidedrm). This is generally thought to be illegal in the US and several other countries, but it is hard to see who is hurt by DRM removal on ebooks you own for personal use. Then format shift the DRM-free ebook using Calibre. The most widely recommended format for this purpose is MS Reader (LIT), however you need a Windows PC to buy Secure LIT ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
So far I have bought my books from the Sony bookstore, because they have been less expensive for the Sony format then any other ebook store. Fictionwise is less on some books, but they never seem to have the format that the Sony needs.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
besca147

Thank you both for your replies. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I cannot use Sony because I'm in the UK so that's out

I just had the Fictionwise weekend offer and saw a book I fancied, but obviously BoB/WHS might be the better option in the long run for formats that are immediately compatible and don't need altering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Another option is to buy any of the three Secure formats and strip the DRM (eReader via ereader2html, MS Reader via "ConvertLIT GUI", and Mobipocket va mobidedrm). This is generally thought to be illegal in the US and several other countries, but it is hard to see who is hurt by DRM removal on ebooks you own for personal use. Then format shift the DRM-free ebook using Calibre. The most widely recommended format for this purpose is MS Reader (LIT), however you need a Windows PC to buy Secure LIT ebooks.
^^All of this stuff has just gone right over my head. Sorry
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by besca147 View Post
Thank you both for your replies. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I cannot use Sony because I'm in the UK so that's out

I just had the Fictionwise weekend offer and saw a book I fancied, but obviously BoB/WHS might be the better option in the long run for formats that are immediately compatible and don't need altering.

^^All of this stuff has just gone right over my head. Sorry
Well, now I'm confused. You say you have a Sony PRS-505 and you "cannot use Sony"???

Huh??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
besca147

I can't use the Sony bookstore.

I installed the eBook Library software that came with the 505 and when I click the shopping cart, it only gives me Waterstones.

I tried downloading the software from the Sony bookstore on my husband's PC. I get the Sony bookstore ok but the most I can to do is peruse the store because I need to be in the US or Canada to purchase anything *shrug*
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I believe another member here has been known to purchase Sony bookshop vouchers for people.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
...nevermind

Last edited by igorsk; 01-19-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: no need for duplicates
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
I buy a lot of books from Fictionwise, usually in Microsoft Reader format, and then convert them for the Sony. It only takes a few minutes.

I also sometimes buy in Adobe Digital Editions format, or in Sony format if the book I want is in multiformat.

My method of choice is to convert, because if I ever change my reader in the future, I can then convert my book into any format that I want. I have made the mistake before of buying DRMd books in a certain format and then not being able to use them when I change my reader. MS Reader is probably the easiest to convert.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
HI PDS, You said

"I buy a lot of books from Fictionwise, usually in Microsoft Reader format, and then convert them for the Sony. It only takes a few minutes."

Does that mean that there is no DRM to be stripped first? And do you use Calibre to convert? If not, how do you convert?

I would love the option of buying from Fictionwise for my Sony 505.

Thanks for any help.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
No, you still have to strip the DRM if you buy an MS Lit file, it's just that it's fairly easy to do. If you can install a program and then know how to browse for files that are saved on your harddrive, you won't have problems with it.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote