Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
about Gen 3 battery life...

I see there are options for length of time until auto-off. How fast will the battery drain if I leave it on "never" auto off then don't read? Is it likely to be fast? (like overnight? 24 hours? a few days? a week?)

I just got my unit today and I'm very excited by it. Already though there are at least 2 things I'd like to see changed in the software:
1) support for all the fields of the .mbp file. (title, author, subject, description, reading lists)
2) user options for margin size.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I see there are options for length of time until auto-off. How fast will the battery drain if I leave it on "never" auto off then don't read? Is it likely to be fast? (like overnight? 24 hours? a few days? a week?)
I've never tried that, but from previous reports, it seems between 2 and 4 days, depending on the firmware version.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Tompe put a lot of effort in measuring the battery life between firmware versions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Tompe

I was getting 4 full days of reading when I never powered off. I've set mine to auto power off after an hour but I turn it off when I'm not reading.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
With the old firmware...

On "never" it works at least 4 days for me with about 5 hours actually reading in these days.

I often read only a few pages while waiting on something, or a quarter of an hour on the bus. It would be quite anoying to boot the device everytime I want to read just a few pages.

Thats also the reason I didn't try a new firmware yet, because the standby times seems to be a lot shorter with the newer firmwares.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post

I just got my unit today and I'm very excited by it. Already though there are at least 2 things I'd like to see changed in the software:
1) support for all the fields of the .mbp file. (title, author, subject, description, reading lists)
2) user options for margin size.
It's a shame you will probably never see this features on this device..
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's highly likely that we'll see user-settable margin sizes at some point in the future. Some other implementations of the Mobi Reader support it, so there's no reason in the world it couldn't be implemented on the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Harry. That's why I'm all bothered about the .mbp information as well.

My Palm supports mobipocket reading lists (and title and author changes). If the Cybook would then it could totally handle large libraries. As it is, I only want to keep maybe 5 books in it at a time so I can navigate them easily.

It makes the 512M a bit of a waste.

Margins are also user selectable on my palm.

I figure if my little old palm can do all this with mobipocket there's no real reason the Cybook can't. It doesn't SEEM like there would be a hardware limitation...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're all agreed that a proper "folder tree" library view would enormously enhance navigation of large libraries, but I think it's a slight exageration to say that navigation is difficult with more than 5 books - don't you? I have about 260 books on my Gen3 at present (using about half the internal memory). I wouldn't want to have too many more than that, but with that many books, library navigation is "useable", especially with the 20 books per page view.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
rheostaticsfan
Zealot

5 is definitely being over conservative...but I wouldn't want anywhere near enough books to fill the 512M. I imagine maybe 100 would be my real practical limit.

For me, I'd rather have mobipocket "reading lists" than folder structure support. "Reading lists" are like tags. A book can belong to multiple reading lists.

I subscribe to the tagging rather than the filing philosophy for information (images, emails, books etc)

Support for BOTH "reading lists" and file folders would be optimal and allow users to work the way they want to.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
To use the 20 view all books have to have cover you recognize.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
To use the 20 view all books have to have cover you recognize.
That's exactly why I do give every book that I create a "readable" cover!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Tags like Google has for email messages would be good.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I think the use of tags would be enough. Just like almost any MP3 player does. Sort on 'album name', 'artist', 'song title' and 'genre'

For books it would be 'series' (For things like trilogies) 'Author', ' book title' and genre.

You don't need directories for that. Only software that is capable of reading the tags and sorting on that. It is standard in mobi type files. But Windows is quite capable of generating tags for any type of file like .doc or .rtf

I guess that linux would be able to do the same

I really don't care were on my Cybook the files are located. I also don't care were the files on my Creative Zen MP3 player are located. I find them by looking for an artist or a genre, not by browsing a directory structure

If that software arranges the files themselves in a treelike directory structure, one master directory or even one big 'database' like Oracle does not matter

Last edited by Ortep; 08-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Plus, user defined tags would be nice.

I might want to tag all the books I read on holiday, for example.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's exactly why I do give every book that I create a "readable" cover!
But that is to much work to do for every book you potentially want to read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote