Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Custom Hard Case-Versatile as well

First post from a former lurker.

I just recently picked up my 505 and was saddened by a distinct lack of hard case love for this awesome device. Then I got to looking at its measurements and thinking about ideas. I first made a cover for it out of a day planner that I stenciled with Sharpies as some have suggested.

But it was too big and bulky to be carried in the pocket of my tactical vest (No, I'm not a cop but I love the vest cause there is a pocket for everything).

So today I got a bit creative...or destructive, whichever.

I figured out that if you could remove the hub and surrounding ring from the inside of a DVD case, the 505 should fit inside. So about 30 minutes of carving on the inside of the case with a Dremel tool with a carving burr and 4 Velcro dots and I have myself an awesome new hard case. Not only that, but one I can make look however I want, whenever I want, just by printing out a new cover for it.

(Sorry about the crappy camera phone pics)

It wasn't too difficult once I figured it out. It is, however, messy and noisy as can be. It sounded like a bird being tortured (not that I have ever tortured a bird) so make sure you don't so this while others are sleeping like I was going to do last night. I don't need to remove it to plug in the charger or USB cables. I will have to remove it to take out the SD card but that isn't something I would do that often and I have gotten frustrated as the SD card has been accidentally pushed in my pocket a couple times while in the stock cover. So this case should prevent that as well. The Velcro dots keep the unit from actually touching the back of the case. I have considered adding a few dots of the felt side to the inside of the front cover to help cushion the unit as well, in case of a drop.

Advice? Suggestions?
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Very nice- I had been wondering myself how a dvd case would do-it seemed to be the right size.Good job.
I am a maintenance electrician in a large manufacturing facility, and like to keep my 505 handy so I can read while I am about the plant. I carry it under my coveralls in a pouch which I hang around my neck and shoulder. I forgot it was there and I was lugging a wide base 12 foot ladder around and realized it had been pressing against the reader at my side. Fortunately it didn't damage it, but it has me thinking about something form-fitting and strong.
One of the tin smiths at work has since measured my 505 and has promised to make me a form fitting metal box-when I get it I will report back and show a picture of it.
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Great idea ! will try this myself
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Hvatum
Hvatum doesn't litterHvatum doesn't litterHvatum doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I made a cover for mine out of a small steel sheet which I covered with some leather, the leather completely covers the metal. The leading edge was bent over on itself to prevent it cutting the leather.

It's then secured onto the back of the existing cover, I took the front of that cover off. It looks professionally made, but it only cost me thirty minutes and a $1 scrap of steel. I already had the leather, and the tools.
Hvatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvatum View Post
I made a cover for mine ...It looks professionally made, but it only cost me thirty minutes and a $1 scrap of steel. I already had the leather, and the tools.
Lets see some pictures!
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Quick update:

I am so happy with this case. It is barely bigger than the Reader itself but protects it quite well. With the addition of 4 of the furry Velcro dots to the inside of the front cover in key places that do not put pressure on the screen, the actual Reader doesn't touch the case at all, just the supportive Velcro.

Oh yeah, I have full use of all ports and card access without having to remove the Reader from the case. The only other changes I have made is to cover over the holes that were made by grinding out the hub and rim with black electrical tape. That is strictly aesthetic as I got tired of seeing the grind marks and holes around the left edge of the Reader.

Now I need to start looking/designing new cover inserts for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Well, after reading Lord_Pall's post about his wife's screen breaking from just a little too much pressure, I got paranoid. I am not using the DVD case anymore as it doesn't provide the necessary protection in that area after all. I am currently back to using the red Lovecraft case but I am looking for a thinner case/cover that has a slot on the front and back sides. The back to slip the front cover of the reader into and the front to slide a sheet of metal into to reinforce it to prove rigid screen protection. I am not sure what I will use for the metal. I currently have the metal piece from the front on my copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the red case but it still isn't rigid enough. I am considering cutting a piece out of an old computer case that is in the garage (but it is still a good computer so I don't really want to) or maybe buying a cheap baking sheet and cutting apiece out of the bottom of it. I don't know. I guess I will see as I go. I may also try reinforcing the cover of the DVD case as well but I am not sure how well it will work.

ETA:
I decided to go with a $6.50 Plan Ahead Padfolio Planner from Wal-Mart and reinforced the front cover with a 5"x7" piece of sheet metal. I used a metal plate from Home Depot that is used to connect two pieces of lumber, covered it in packing tape to smooth out any edges from cutting it down (it was originally 6x7), slit the stitching on the bottom edge of the cover, put the newly made insert inside and stitched the bottom back up using the original holes. You would have to look hard to tell it was modified. Now the only thing that is missing is an awesome book light for it.

Last edited by revfish; 05-04-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Final results of my cover project.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
Well, after reading Lord_Pall's post about his wife's screen breaking from just a little too much pressure, I got paranoid.
I tried a couple of metal covers, but the thinnest ones always seemed to slowly bend under the pressure of the other books in my bag. Some people used titanium, but I don't have that sort of budget. I went to rigid plastic as a result:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420

This case works on the same concept as the DVD case, but the plastic is very stiff, and transmits the load along the outside edge. This avoids the potential to torque the reader through the Velcro dots. Since it's clear, you could always put your TCsM artwork on the inside of the cover.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
I tried a couple of metal covers, but the thinnest ones always seemed to slowly bend under the pressure of the other books in my bag. Some people used titanium, but I don't have that sort of budget. I went to rigid plastic as a result:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420

This case works on the same concept as the DVD case, but the plastic is very stiff, and transmits the load along the outside edge. This avoids the potential to torque the reader through the Velcro dots. Since it's clear, you could always put your TCsM artwork on the inside of the cover.
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am just going to stick with my current model. I am including pics of it. It is pretty much like the Executive cover but with the added versatility of the notepad and pen holder and the added reinforcement of the 10 gauge sheet metal added to the front cover. I considered trying to do the metal add-on to the DVD case but that would screw up the lines of it.

Yes I know the pics suck but my camera is at work and I had to use my phone to take the pics. (Think about how ludicrous that would have sounded 20 years ago.)

The outside of the case, looking similar to the executive case

Nice area for papers and a business card and, look! A 505!

The notepad that is behind the flap that the reader is attached to, with another business card holder.

I attached the reader to the case by folding the stock cover back and inserting the front cover into a slot on the flap. Then the back cover is slid under and elastic strap. If you want to be more secure, like me, I added a bit of velcro to the back cover of the reader and the flap so the stock cover wouldn't slide around.

I am quite happy although it is larger than the DVD case, it is much more protected as well as stylish.