Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Deepdiver
Deepdiver began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge and Nook
Unhappy Internal SDcard unmounted

I searched the threads for my problem and found an exact match. However, it was in the old section of the forum and I could never find any solutions or resolution suggestions. Here is the old thread posted by "mldsibio" on 12/10/2010. Any fresh ideas?

internal sdcard unmounted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I booted and got a notification that the sdcard was removed. This is the internal storage card, not an external one. The file explorer and library all show empty, whereas these had quite a number of files.
I have rebooted several times, and do not see any option to remount the card (unmount option is grayed out)
Any tips or similar experiances?
Thanks in advance

--------------------------
A later post to the same thread stated that the internal storage showed 15.1/15.2mb available which is exactly what mine is now showing. It will not mount when connected to a PC using a USB cord, it gives the option but never does anything when you press "mount".

I was amazed that mldisibio had the exact same problem but was bummed when there were no solutions. Any help would be very appreciated, I love my PE
Deepdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepdiver View Post
It will not mount when connected to a PC using a USB cord, it gives the option but never does anything when you press "mount".
I usually see option "Turn on USB storage" - not "mount".
Can you elaborate how you got "mount" option?
What happens if you installed external SD card?
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Deepdiver

The comment about not being able to connect to a PC using the USB cord was in addition to the problems with the internal SDmemory not working or even being seen.

When you plug up the USB cords, the indicator at the top left corner shows up. When that is pulled down, you get the option to "mount" or 'Unmount". I think because something is up with the internal SDcard, the PC does not "see" the PE drive and the "mount" button does not do anything when pressed.

This appears that the internal memory has just vanished. From what I have read in other threads, the internal SDcard is soldered onto the MB. Therefore, it would be hard to "be removed" without some physical damage to the PE.

I have not tried to install an external SD card yet and I have not tried to do the factory reset because I did not want to lose all of my downloaded apps, data in my contact list, and other information that is still on the PE and working. It is just my Library and internal storage that appears to be empty and unusable.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
The comment about not being able to connect to a PC using the USB cord was in addition to the problems with the internal SDmemory not working or even being seen.

When you plug up the USB cords, the indicator at the top left corner shows up. When that is pulled down, you get the option to "mount" or 'Unmount". I think because something is up with the internal SDcard, the PC does not "see" the PE drive and the "mount" button does not do anything when pressed.

This appears that the internal memory has just vanished. From what I have read in other threads, the internal SDcard is soldered onto the MB. Therefore, it would be hard to "be removed" without some physical damage to the PE.

I have not tried to install an external SD card yet and I have not tried to do the factory reset because I did not want to lose all of my downloaded apps, data in my contact list, and other information that is still on the PE and working. It is just my Library and internal storage that appears to be empty and unusable.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
When you open the Library App and select the Library pull-down in the upper left corner and select Storage what do you see? Internal Storage or SD Card? Or is nothing showing up like in ES File Explorer?

I'm sure you might have already tried this but double-check your Device Storage by selecting Settings (or Apps and Settings) and then Device Storage. Touch the Data Storage Device pull-down menu and ensure Internal Storage is selected. Otherwise you may want to get an inexpensive external SD card like you said and see what happens.

I assume you are running the original Dingo that came with the PE because when you hook it up to a PC via USB cable you get the USB connected notification and when you swipe and select the USB connected message you get the Mount / Unmount option. This is a normal indication. You say when you select Mount nothing happens and the PC does not see the PE. So the PE is not showing up as a Removable Disk in Windows Explorer?

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 02:02 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Deepdiver

When I first boot up there is now an indicator in the top left corner that says the internal SD card has been removed. That is impossible and I have never installed any other memory card in the PE.

i will have to confirm this evening when I get home, but I believe when I try to open the Library as you describe I see the internal storage option and then it says there is nothing there.

I have tried to check the storage as you indicated to see which one is selected and the internal SD card's radio button is highlighted. If I choose the other it warns that I will lose everything if I select it - so I have not tried that yet. Same reason i have not tried a system factory reset.

I am running Dingo, I have never tried to upgrade it. I agree the PE acts normal when connecting it to the PC with USB cable up until it doesn't do anything when you select the "mount" button. Yes, the PE is not showing up as a named removable disk in Windows like it did before. It does show up that something is attached but will not let you open it.

It is acting exactly like the card was removed or is not there. I am trying to be patient and see if anyone has any great solutions before I try the more drastic approaches and risk losing my other data/apps.
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is acting exactly like the card was removed or is not there. I am trying to be patient and see if anyone has any great solutions before I try the more drastic approaches and risk losing my other data/apps.

Moving your Library to an external SD card will have NO effect on your Apps. Apps cannot be moved to an external SD card. Although most Edge owners wish they could be because the App Storage on the Edge gets eaten up rather quickly.

If you go to Settings and select Device Storage you should see separate line items for Application Storage (322 MB Total Space reserved for Apps) and Internal Storage. If you insert an external SD card and the Library has not been transferred to it you should see an additional line item that says SD Card.

In fact, when the Library is moved to an external SD card you lose ALL use of the 3GB Internal Storage anyway. Hence the warning message when you select SD Card as the Storage Mode on the Device Storage screen. I have an external micro-SD card in my PE and I don't have the option of returning to Internal Storage on the Device Storage screen unless I remove the external SD card. This is why I recommend to new users in the Resource Sticky to use the Internal Storage as long as it will support your needs and use an external SD card for storing Local Back Ups, Documents, PDFs etc. all of which can be opened from the ext SD card using ES file Explorer.

In your case an external SD card may be a viable option. I would try a relatively inexpensive card to see if the Edge will store your Library on it and then you can move up to a maximum 32GB micro SDHC card. Make sure the micro SD card is formatted FAT or FAT32 (preferred). You may want to perform a Quick Format of the SD card from a PC before inserting it into the PE.

Check out the attachment which talks a little bit more about the Library and external SD card.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Storing your Library on an SD Card.pdf (66.7 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard

I want to point out one thing and I am in no way inferring anything. I got to thinking which I try not to do very often because it hurts my brain. I'm a PC Tech by trade. CompTIA A+ and Network + certified, and working on Security + and CCNA. I want to ensure other eDGe owners do not run the risk of this type of problem.

When you Unmount your Edge or Turn Off USB storage to a PC, make sure you also use the Safely Remove Hardware option in Windows or Eject the device in MAC or Linux BEFORE removing it. Simply pulling it out of the USB socket can cause damage to the device and loss of data. I know, plenty of people say they just pull it out and yes it may be OK 99% of the time but, what happens when you go to pull it out the 100th time. Why risk it.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Deepdiver

OK, I guess I will go with the external disk option. I was sticking to the internal mem and only had it about half full over the past 4 months or so. Thankfully most of that is still on the PC in my Calibre database or in picture files and can be loaded again.

I agree on the Safely Removing Hardware step, I had a friend lose a hugh flash drive by just pulling it out. either it was accessing it or static electricty ate it up and he lost it all.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
OK, I guess I will go with the external disk option. I was sticking to the internal mem and only had it about half full over the past 4 months or so. Thankfully most of that is still on the PC in my Calibre database or in picture files and can be loaded again.

I agree on the Safely Removing Hardware step, I had a friend lose a hugh flash drive by just pulling it out. either it was accessing it or static electricty ate it up and he lost it all.

Thanks for the help.

I know it sucks to lose use of your Internal Storage. It's almost like your PE somehow glitched to external storage. I found a little tidbit I had that says: Once you move your content to an SD card or microSD card, you will not be able to revert to internal storage. I attached it. The PE is in essence a computer and computers glitch all the time. Hopefully the external SD card option works and you won't have to do anything more drastic. Just make sure you have a good SD card. Here's why:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150792

Your other two options are to perform the Ermine upgrade and hope that fixes it or a Factory Data Reset. Hopefully it won't come to that. I hope everything works out.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I want to point out one thing and I am in no way inferring anything. I got to thinking which I try not to do very often because it hurts my brain. I'm a PC Tech by trade. CompTIA A+ and Network + certified, and working on Security + and CCNA. I want to ensure other eDGe owners do not run the risk of this type of problem.

When you Unmount your Edge or Turn Off USB storage to a PC, make sure you also use the Safely Remove Hardware option in Windows or Eject the device in MAC or Linux BEFORE removing it. Simply pulling it out of the USB socket can cause damage to the device and loss of data. I know, plenty of people say they just pull it out and yes it may be OK 99% of the time but, what happens when you go to pull it out the 100th time. Why risk it.
I must agree with you on this. We see enough problems caused by people that don't think - who in their right mind plugs their server into a power point that the cleaner is likely to use and then shouts because the backup didn't work.

The other thing is that people no longer think - it worked once without problems, it worked twice without problems therefore it works without problems, until the time it doesn't.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
When you Unmount your Edge or Turn Off USB storage to a PC, make sure you also use the Safely Remove Hardware option in Windows ... BEFORE removing it. Simply pulling it out of the USB socket can cause damage to the device and loss of data.
One of my USB sticks got damaged exactly after I used Safely Remove.
I removed references to Mac and Linux intentionally as I don't use them.
But I'm pleased I don't need to use a pair <Turn On/Off USB Storage>+<Safely Remove> to be able to use adb: even so Windows don't see PE connected adb still works.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
nekobe
nekobe began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge (6)
i think i got it

I had the same trouble, the whole unmonted SD card, got no trouble with it until I try to download an app, my final solution was to revert the edge to its original state, after this my 2.49 Gb. reapeard, in case u don't wanna revert the system u can use the ES File explorer, in the root folder go to the internalstorage folder, u can use 2.68 Gb. on this folder, if u find vfat.img file inside this folder then u have more sirius problems...
nekobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
riskadverse
riskadverse began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekobe View Post
I had the same trouble, the whole unmonted SD card, got no trouble with it until I try to download an app, my final solution was to revert the edge to its original state, after this my 2.49 Gb. reapeard, in case u don't wanna revert the system u can use the ES File explorer, in the root folder go to the internalstorage folder, u can use 2.68 Gb. on this folder, if u find vfat.img file inside this folder then u have more sirius problems...
Can you the more sirius problems? It looks like thats where I am. I can store files in the internalstorage/.edge/ folder, but I have a vfat.img file of 2.5G
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
nekobe
nekobe began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge (6)
Try it first

But did u try already the factory reset to default on you eDGe?? if not try it, first off course i recommend u make a copy of all your apps, contend, media and stuff, copy all of this to a USB, to an external SD (if that works off course dhaaa) or directly to the computer... but some how take all of your info and apps, then go with the factory defaults setting and configuration reset... (DO NOT forget to take any external media from the devise before doing this... otherwise you could end up with the same problem or worst...) sooo once again remove all the external devices (USB, external hard drives, micro SD cards, disconnect from the computer, and try not to be charging the eDGe) then wait a couple of minutes and voila u have all your folder back in place... just to be sure everything works fine... copy all your SD card content to your PC as well and format it to a FAT 32 state... (it could be a fast format doesn't matter) then insert it again to the eDGe and give us your results...
hope it helps men, if not tell us so i can try any other metod to help you...
nekobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
kjfasimpaur
kjfasimpaur began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
Just to throw my experience in here, I recently had the same issue. Like nekobe, I first noticed the problem when I couldn't update or install apps. It didn't take long to figure out that my Internal Storage was AWOL, showing with total space as "Unavailable".

I'd acquired my PocketEdge from the recent Woot sale and upgraded it to Ermine. I tried a number of possible fixes, including the factory reset mentioned here, but had no success. What *did* work was downgrading with the 'golden update' back to Dingo. After that, the Internal Storage simply reappeared.

Now I've upgraded back to Ermine once more, reinstalled the appropriate apps, and all is as it was before, more or less. Still not sure just what caused this, but as fixes go, this wasn't too painful --- and certainly beats cracking open the case and seeing if the memory had become physically unseated or some such thing!
kjfasimpaur is offline   Reply With Quote