Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre store: using a web browser instead of calibre's dialog

In calibre's store, with the exception of Amazon (and possibly one or two others) the default is to open book detail pages in calibre's browser instead of using the system's browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, what-have-you).

On the plus side, using calibre's browser provides a non-configuration interface. You double-click on a search entry and see the details. You close the details and are back at the searches. If you obtain a non-Adobe-infested book, calibre can automatically import it into the library. On the minus side, you lose a browser's password management, multiple tabs/windows, history, status line (https indications etc), and bookmarking.

My question: which do (would) you prefer, using calibre's browser or the system browser? For those of you who have purchased non-Amazon books, did you do it using calibre's browser or your system browser?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
For the reasons already mentioned (bookmarks, password storage, etc) I'd love to use my system browser.

Actually, the fact that I can't remember most of my store passwords and use my browser (or, in that case, KeePass) as non-biological memory is what kept me from using the stores integrated in calibre.

Regards,
Hakan
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
+1 for system browser

EDIT: But there should be some mechanism for at least public domain "stores" like MR or PG to override and always use the internal browser.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-19-2011 at 03:04 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You don't count Kovid. But I'll make the change in the searc to default to having the system browser checked.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I like the internal browser. The whole process has a very nice, streamlined feel to it.
Would it be possible to make this a selectable option, along the lines of "use Calibre internal browser, if possible" and letting the store plugins decide whether or not they need the system browser?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I too like using the internal browser, one of the reasons I like using the calibre store is it offers the functionality without having to leave the program. I would also like the option for the user to decide which browser would be the default.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If you select a store directly from the "Get books" drop down menu it will still open in the internal browser. If you go into preferences, plugins, select the store. You can configure this on a per store basis to not use the internal browser.

In the store search dialog under the list of stores is a check box that says open in external browser. The change will default this to checked. However, the search dialog remembers your selection. So if in the next release you see it check, uncheck it and it will stay that way.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote