Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Does it actually also support dictionary lookup?
Hmm. It depends.

The current official firmware does support looking up words in Mobipocket dictionaries, but not while reading another book. So you'd have to close the book, open the dictionary, look up the word, close the dictionary, open your book again and resume reading. Quite a hassle.

However, there's an unofficial lBook-firmware that supports dictionary lookup while reading, as does Openinkpot. These two do not support Mobipocket-dictionaries, though; only unix .dict dictionaries.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Ezmegaz
Ezmegaz began at the beginning.

Device: none - phone whit ebook reader software
Ahi explames right! =) thx for it!

I was born in Slovakia, but im Hungarian. It yust a matter of the borders.

Last edited by Ezmegaz; 06-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Ezmegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
As far as I know the only e-readers available in Slovakia are cybook gen3 and prs-505, both on alza.sk. I searched for hanlin v3 but came up with nothing.
You could order cybook, hanlin v3 or prs505 from Czech republic and the pocketbook from Ukraine, but I'm not sure if this would count for the MR giveaway. But you folks should understand that Slovakia is a small country and it almost verges on a miracle that people there even know what a liseuse is. So we should definitely give Ezmegaz the benefit of taking that into account. Afterall, it's difficult to buy a liseuse in a country where liseuses are virtually not sold.
Of the three: cybook, hanlin v3 and prs505, all display diacritic well. With prs505 I heard there's a minor hassle, because you have to install fonts beforehand, but then it works fine and people seem to be happy with it.
I hope you're aware that there's very little electronic content available in Slovak. Except for some public domain works on zlatyfond.sme.sk and rss news, there's virtually none and the change in the order of things will be a long time coming.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
As far as I know the only e-readers available in Slovakia are cybook gen3 and prs-505, both on alza.sk. I searched for hanlin v3 but came up with nothing.
You could order cybook, hanlin v3 or prs505 from Czech republic and the pocketbook from Ukraine, but I'm not sure if this would count for the MR giveaway. But you folks should understand that Slovakia is a small country and it almost verges on a miracle that people there even know what a liseuse is. So we should definitely give Ezmegaz the benefit of taking that into account. Afterall, it's difficult to buy a liseuse in a country where liseuses are virtually not sold.
Of the three: cybook, hanlin v3 and prs505, all display diacritic well. With prs505 I heard there's a minor hassle, because you have to install fonts beforehand, but then it works fine and people seem to be happy with it.
I hope you're aware that there's very little electronic content available in Slovak. Except for some public domain works on zlatyfond.sme.sk and rss news, there's virtually none
and the change in the order of things will be a long time coming.
Good points.

www.jinke.cz
www.cybook.cz
are domains that were setup by www.acomp.cz
You can order hanlin V3 (and soon the new 5" hanlin) and also cybok.
There is "Pay on delivery" in czech "Dobirka" option also for Slovak Republic that is very popular.

Also, do not forget jetbook, that is also available in Slovakia
http://www.ectaco.sk/jetBook_Reader_Deluxe.html

Slovakians can also use Czech books, so that makes the choice of [legal] e-books better. Ezmegaz is of Hungarian nationality, he is just has Slovakian citizenship, so he will most probably seek Hungarian e-books
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You can order the BeBook online. And as Slovakia is part of the EU and even uses the Euro, it shouldn't be a problem at all. And the BeBook is a Hanlin v3.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
Slovakians can also use Czech books, so that makes the choice of [legal] e-books better.
Are there any *legal* ebooks available in both Czech or Slovak other than public domain books?
Quote:
Ezmegaz is of Hungarian nationality, he is just has Slovakian citizenship, so he will most probably seek Hungarian e-books
Then he might be interested in this:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/06/11/h...ch-on-june-15/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea
You can order the BeBook online. And as Slovakia is part of the EU and even uses the Euro, it shouldn't be a problem at all. And the BeBook is a Hanlin v3.
I don't know the specifics of rules of the giveaway, I believe the rules state that you can only apply for a device that is sold in your country; does this cover the whole European Union if you're a resident of a member state?
Because if that's the case, then I would probably recommend the Hanlin V3 with Openinkpot firmware as the best option. Though we have yet to see what Bookeen has in store for us with their long overdue firmware update.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are there any *legal* ebooks available in both Czech or Slovak other than public domain books?
Quite a few. Surprisingly ;-).
http://www.zoznam.sk/katalog/Kultura...ronicke-knihy/

Even a full-blown e-publisher
http://www.neknihy.cz/user/index.asp?app=1306233343
Most books here are under 2Eur!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Quite a few. Surprisingly ;-).
A few, there you are right.
Quote:
Even a full-blown e-publisher
Most books here are under 2Eur!
You can't place an order with that "e-publisher" and things seem to have been that way since 2003.

Or were you just trying to picture the dire reality of local epublishing in your post? Because you succeeded.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know the specifics of rules of the giveaway, I believe the rules state that you can only apply for a device that is sold in your country; does this cover the whole European Union if you're a resident of a member state?
Because if that's the case, then I would probably recommend the Hanlin V3 with Openinkpot firmware as the best option. Though we have yet to see what Bookeen has in store for us with their long overdue firmware update.
To be precise:

Quote:
Two restrictions apply: The winner must pick a device that is officially purchasable in his or her country
So, you must be able to place an international order if you order from a site not from your country (as you can't for the Kindle, for example).
Old 06-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #25
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Thanks Sweetpea for clarification.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #26
Ezmegaz

Abelturd
I saw that website, what sells sony 505 in slovakia- its 377 Eur...
In the worlds other country it cost only 270 dollars. The price is duplicated.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #27
Ezmegaz

Sweetpea
"Two restrictions apply: The winner must pick a device that is officially purchasable in his or her country "

Shit, your right!

So practically i cant win.... But thx for all replyes for all.
Maybe if i could go abroad i can buy for myself a device.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmegaz View Post
Sweetpea
"Two restrictions apply: The winner must pick a device that is officially purchasable in his or her country "

Shit, your right!

No, no. That only means (at least IMO) that you can't apply for Kindle, as you can't purchase it outside of USA. But all the other readers are resold internationally.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sweetpea

Shit, your right!

You can officially perchase a BeBook where you live. Try to purchase one from BeBook for example. Then try to buy a Kindle from Amazon. The first will go through, the second will say it can only be sold to the US.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #30
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Abelturd
I saw that website, what sells sony 505 in slovakia- its 377 Eur...
In the worlds other country it cost only 270 dollars. The price is duplicated.
Look at the
http://www.acomp.cz/acomp/obchod/index.asp
They have
- hanlin V3 6690CZK (approx. 250Eur)
- Cybook 9092CZK (approx. 340Eur)
- SONY PRS-505 8390CZK (approx. 314Eur)
- iRex Digital Reader 1000S, 21 408,00
- iRex iLiad 2nd Edition 18 433,00Czk
- iRex iLiad Book Edition, 8" 15 458,00Czk

Prices are including Value Added Tax
They ship to Slovakia, you can "pay on delivery" ("Dobirka")