Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #91
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm interested in a run-off vote. I'm guessing A Town would win.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #92
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
No way I can tell the time here. Please anybody tell me when this will end exactly?
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #93
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and it will show you the time, which is GMT + 1, and then "The time now is ...." whatever it is when you are reading this message.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #94
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh thanks. It was GTM at first and that's why I was so confused. So we have more than 9 hours to go.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #95
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
No way I can tell the time here. Please anybody tell me when this will end exactly?
When there are polls I see the correct ending time for my time zone as long as I'm logged in.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #96
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
When there are polls I see the correct ending time for my time zone as long as I'm logged in.
Yeah, I've just changed it to my time zone, GTM +7. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #97
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I was thinking perhaps that might be it. But with multiple choice voting, what's the point? You can still vote for what you really want to read regardless of any strategic voting decisions.

If you think Outlander might not be able to win and you'd prefer Stardust over A Town Like Alice, why not vote for Outlander and Stardust but omit A Town Like Alice?

Although I really love Stardust, I definitely didn't want it to win, so I definitely didn't vote for it. But everything else that interested me in any way for Feb got a vote.

Maybe not everyone understands the multiple choice voting as it's fairly new?
The voting procedure works fine. I voted for the selection that I would much prefer [Lolita] and what would be my second choice out of all the others [A Town Like Alice].
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #98
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
With 4 minutes left, it looks like A Town Like Alice is our winner.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #99
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Congratulations, A Town Like Alice! It's early morning here and I finished its very first chapter last night. The language is not too hard for me. Hope I'll finish it before the due day.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #100
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Looking forward to reading A Town Like Alice. It was my first choice and it's next on my reading list.
Will read Stardust as well, but not right now.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #101
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The voting procedure works fine. I voted for the selection that I would much prefer [Lolita] and what would be my second choice out of all the others [A Town Like Alice].
The voting procedure should certainly work fine. I actually think it was a marvellous decision to move to multiple choice voting and I'm certainly not complaining about that. But I'm curious likelihood of suddenly only one of two selections seeming desirable at some point in the voting process.

It doesn't seem probable to me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #102
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
ALICE! You've made up for that time where I voted for On the Beach and it didn't make it. I get to read and discuss Shute. Woohoo!

I've never read him. I hope he isn't dreadful.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
ALICE! You've made up for that time where I voted for On the Beach and it didn't make it. I get to read and discuss Shute. Woohoo!

I've never read him. I hope he isn't dreadful.
He isn't dreadful. It's just that he not an author that can do romance. That's why he should not have won.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #104
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Never mind: those who want to try him out/like him already can read it, and those who don't can get on with their TBR heap and come back next month!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stardust is an adventure, so let's nominate it for March. If it does not win, it's a classic tale, so it fits in with April, so again, let's try to get Stardust nominated. Stardust won the Mythpoeic Award for best adult fairy tale. That means it qualifies for June.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-26-2013 at 08:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote