Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #166
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Bookeen DISTRIBUTES it, not USES.
Understood. However, please quote to me, from the GPL v2 where it says if you distribute an unmodifed GPL program that you must also provide links to it and the source? Maybe you do, but I can't find that. I only see that you have to do this if you distribute a MODIFIED version of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #167
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We have the facts: reverse-engineering gives traces of GPLed software. NOTHING ELSE MATTER: any NDAs, SDKs or any other crap. IT IS IRRELEVANT DID THEY SIGN ANYTHING. Bookeen distributes GPL-ed software without giving full instructions of how to build it.
Where in the GPL are you required to give "FULL INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO BUILD IT?"

BOb
Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #168
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Understood. However, please quote to me, from the GPL v2 where it says if you distribute an unmodifed GPL program that you must also provide links to it and the source? Maybe you do, but I can't find that. I only see that you have to do this if you distribute a MODIFIED version of it.
"3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form..."

So here is no distinction between original and modified program.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #169
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form..."

So here is no distinction between original and modified program.
I don't see anything there about providing links to it? Just that it gives you permission to distribute it.

BOb
Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #170
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Where in the GPL are you required to give "FULL INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO BUILD IT?"

BOb
"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable."

Under "full instructions" I meant all the information needed to obtain source code, if not provided by the vendor directly, and all the scripts needed to build it. I think it is reasonable definition of "full instructions": how to obtain and how to build.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #171
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
I don't see anything there about providing links to it? Just that it gives you permission to distribute it.
Read the GPL on - whole '3' section is about it. I just quoted the part needed to answer your question about original and modified software.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #172
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable."

Under "full instructions" I meant all the information needed to obtain source code, if not provided by the vendor directly, and all the scripts needed to build it. I think it is reasonable definition of "full instructions": how to obtain and how to build.
Ok, maybe how to obtain it. But, not how to build it. I don't think there is a requierment to tell you want make files to run, etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #173
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Ok, maybe how to obtain it. But, not how to build it. I don't think there is a requierment to tell you want make files to run, etc.
Oh, instructions may be executable (and that's the best form of them
Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #174
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
We have the facts: reverse-engineering gives traces of GPLed software. NOTHING ELSE MATTER: any NDAs, SDKs or any other crap. IT IS IRRELEVANT DID THEY SIGN ANYTHING. Bookeen distributes GPL-ed software without giving full instructions of how to build it.
Then why aren't you first going after Netronix? They *sell* the base unit that Bookeen uses to run the Boo Reader. And it's not as if Netronix is hard to find; they have a solid web presence and they list their headquarters addresses. And they are the ones who don't just post a link to the source code they use.

Why is it that you are so pissed at Bookeen?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #175
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Then why aren't you first going after Netronix? They *sell* the base unit that Bookeen uses to run the Boo Reader. And it's not as if Netronix is hard to find; they have a solid web presence and they list their headquarters addresses. And they are the ones who don't just post a link to the source code they use.
Because Netronix did not sell device to me, so I can't do anything. Well, I *can* buy their e-book and then ask for the source code, but this will be worthless - Taiwan and China have quite radical different laws, so it is very improbable to enforce GPL there.

Anyway, Bookeen still violates copyright, so if Bookeen will be sued, it will be *their* problem to negotiate with Netronix.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #176
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because Netronix did not sell device to me, so I can't do anything. Well, I *can* buy their e-book and then ask for the source code, but this will be worthless - Taiwan and China have quite radical different laws, so it is very improbable to enforce GPL there.

Anyway, Bookeen still violates copyright, so if Bookeen will be sued, it will be *their* problem to negotiate with Netronix.
And if you buy their EB-100, they'll tell you the same thing they told me. Buy the Developer's package and you get the source code.

Derek
Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #177
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think this GPL problem is why Astak went with WinCE instead of Linux.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #178
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I tend to agree. However, the issue then becomes, is there an already-made solution for the Astak or Netronix WinCE OS of Mobipocket?

Derek
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #179
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I tend to agree. However, the issue then becomes, is there an already-made solution for the Astak or Netronix WinCE OS of Mobipocket?

Derek
I don't know for sure, but I have been told that the WinCE version of Mobipocket should work on 5.0, even though it is only supposed to go up to 4.x.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #180
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It is very easy to get in compliance with the GPL - iRex and Amazon and Sony have all done so. It does not matter where Netronix is located, any major purchaser can get its OEM to release source code if they take the trouble to do so. The only argument in Bookeen's favor at present is that perhaps they are not a major Netronix customer. Astak definitely is a major customer (or partner), and they would have had no trouble getting the required source code released if (a) the device was running Linux and (b) they knew enough to ask for it. Since it is running WinCE, it is up to MicroSoft to confirm that the devices have a valid license. After all, if Netronix will bootleg Open Source code they will presumably do the same for WinCE if they can get away with it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote