Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since I stopped using the browser my K3 has been totally stable. No problems at all while reading books. I'd suggest not using the browser until it gets more stable.
Maybe this is why I'm not having the sort of crashing issues many people report. I rarely use the browser. Aside from originally checking it out to see if worked, I've done a couple Wikipedia searches and that's it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Out of my many freezes only 1 happened on the browser.....
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yes the browser may have something to do with it. I've only had 2 crashes/reboots and one was while using the browser. I have barely used it since then and I've had no crashes since then.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Mine froze last night trying to adjust the volume. I get these strange crashes and rebootings just reading, with a clean slate after hard reboots.

The occasional crash, or those caused by using the browser don't worry me, but the others sound like they have a hardware problem to me, since they're on only some devices, with no common denominator to explain them.

I hate to return it, because otherwise, I love it, but unless they tell us exactly what the patch does, I'm not comfortable relying on a patch for the long term.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
1 or 2 crashes a day. every day.
sometimes i feel it's because it can't keep up with how fast i scroll from page to page or push buttons. haven't used the web browser or listened to any audio on it. just reading and playing around with the menu.

edit - forgot to mention i charged it yesterday and now the battery is at the half mark. maybe the restarts are eating way to much power.

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 09-07-2010 at 04:04 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
woody479
woody479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 1&2
Soooo Disappointed

Let me start by saying that I was a die-hard Kindle fan. I loved my generation 1 and 2 ebooks they all performed flawlessly. So imagine how very excited I was when the generation 3 came out. Being the fan that I am I ordered one the first day.

It arrived, I loaded some books on it, and it worked as advertised until I took the library of 700 books stored without a single glitch on the Kindle 2 and dropped it on to the hard drive of the Kindle 3. That is when all the crashes and self-resets began. It got so bad it was resetting itself every 20 minutes and when it did I would lose where I was in the book. It would default to the beginning of the book and it would no longer have what percentage that I read so I would have to page forward to my place. It also ceased having the most recently open book first in the order of most recent first.

Got so frustrated that I called Kindle Support and they sent me a new<refurbished> Kindle so I dropped my library on it and had the exact same problems with it. Now I have a ticket in with the IT department to figure out why a book that is advertised to hold 3,000 books cannot handle 800.

I really miss my Kindle 2 it never had issues. My advice is too stick with Kindle 2 because the software for the Kindle 3 is a mess.
woody479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Sorry to hear that. Crashes are so infrequent here (maybe once in a week or two) that I cannot see any pattern. There might be something in the inherent instability of the browser because I almost never use it.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody479 View Post
Let me start by saying that I was a die-hard Kindle fan. I loved my generation 1 and 2 ebooks they all performed flawlessly. So imagine how very excited I was when the generation 3 came out. Being the fan that I am I ordered one the first day.

It arrived, I loaded some books on it, and it worked as advertised until I took the library of 700 books stored without a single glitch on the Kindle 2 and dropped it on to the hard drive of the Kindle 3. That is when all the crashes and self-resets began. It got so bad it was resetting itself every 20 minutes and when it did I would lose where I was in the book. It would default to the beginning of the book and it would no longer have what percentage that I read so I would have to page forward to my place. It also ceased having the most recently open book first in the order of most recent first.

Got so frustrated that I called Kindle Support and they sent me a new<refurbished> Kindle so I dropped my library on it and had the exact same problems with it.....................
I have about 2100 books= 2,3 GB on my Kindle 3, so 3000 isn't an empty boast of Amazon. I still have ca. 1GB left; rest is for the Kindle.

I used to have an iLiad that crashed and I must say; don't miss it a bit.
But the weak point of the Kindle, in my opinion, is indexing after loading a lot of books. Mine crashed away when I first got it, because I loaded too many books at once on it.

I learned the hard way to do it in batches of 2/300. Give it a rest for a few hours for indexing and recharging; always did it in the evening, so in the morning my Kindle was ready for more action.

I noticed that indexing made the Kindle very unstable, especially if you try to read a book, or do some sorting in Collections right after downloading.
Also takes a lot of battery-life out of it, which isn't always visible on the indicator.

In my case; once I loaded all my books and sorted them in Collections (yes…one by one, no windows collection manager for my mac), it worked fine. I really love it. Only seldom it reboots now and is very reliable.

As for the software; I started out with 3.0.0 and grabbed every update. With every update the Kindle got sturdier, although not the indexing.

I hope it all will work out for you. Good luck and good Kindle-reading.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
1 or 2 crashes a day. every day.
sometimes i feel it's because it can't keep up with how fast i scroll from page to page or push buttons. haven't used the web browser or listened to any audio on it. just reading and playing around with the menu.

edit - forgot to mention i charged it yesterday and now the battery is at the half mark. maybe the restarts are eating way to much power.
i feel i need to add a coda here. this was two months ago and since then i've updated (i'm still at the 3.0.1 and have been reluctant to move on since it's been manna from heaven).
there haven't been any more crashes that i remember, no freezes so....
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Jema
Jema began at the beginning.

I see these posts go back several years, and yet the crash and burn is still and issue. I've had my Kindle 3 about 3 months and it crashes a lot. Today I downloaded a book,went to the gym and nothing. It took me hours just to get it to recognize the power on.
Jema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #26
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Do you keep your Kindle3 in the official Amazon UNlighted cover? It is now an acknowledged issue. If you have that cover, remove the k3 and test for a day or two. Or contact Amaazon's kindle customer service and they will authorize a return of the cover.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #27
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
About the frequent refreezing of the Kindle.
It might be due to Amazon's cover; mine never had trouble with it, but I would check out that option.
But I also think it's worthwhile to monitor the input of new books on the Kindle very carefully.
-take your time
-don't download all books in one go, but in batches 50/100
-let the Kindle charge while indexing
-check to see wether the indexing is done completely, before loading another batch of books (by random search etc)
-if a book, or a batch of books get stuck on indexing; remove it/them via calibre and try to find out which book/s causes the problem
- if the problem is with a book from Amazon; call them
- if it's your own book; convert it with Calibre or other from mobi to mobi once more.
-contrary to what Amazon states= 3500 books on you Kindle.........I experienced that the Kindle handles 1000-1500 books easily, but the one time I had 2200 books on it, well........it soon got stuck forever after that and I was due for a replacement Kindle.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Take all your K3's out of the Kindle cover and report back. I've made many posts here on MR about the cover 'solution.' Do a search for Kindle cover.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #29
Jema

Thanks everyone for the help!

Thanks so much (and Merry Christmas). Amazon is sending me a new kindle--after long sessions with two different representatives (both very nice) But about the cover: both representatives I talked to said the official leather cover was not the problem. The first one said one of the covers might be the problem but the problem cover had been removed from the website. He didn't seem to know which cover was the problem. I checked and mine was still on the website, so...I figured it was ok. But I will try that and see what happens. Since I just bought kindles (with the same cover) for my son and my boyfriend, that's worrisome.

My issues just got worse after I posted. I couldn't even turn the thing on half the time. But I'll try taking the cover off and report back.

thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!!

Jeanne
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
Jema

What's a better cover?

One more thing: Can you recommend a good cover that seems trouble-free? I'm leading a group of 14 students on a term abroad starting in two weeks (5 countries, 14 students, 4.5 months, and me). They are all bringing kindles! What if....?

Thanks!

Jeanne