Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #31
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Bob, we don't know amount of battery drain (if any) required to show clock in status bar and update it once a minute. Chances are it's tiny (7495 page turns instead of 7500). And again, as I've said, Sony (if they decided to) should make it optional, so ppl who don't need wont turn it on - no battery charge wasted. And "adding" clock should be the lowest priority. Adding Unicode support is tenfold more important to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #32
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
As far as the software/firmware on the Reader itself goes, I only have two improvements: heirarchical file browsing, and the ability to input a page number to jump to (using the numbered buttons).

The Connect software, on the other hand, has a ton of improvements that need to be made. One I can think of is better metadata support, including the abilty to edit metadata and ideally to setup regexp-like patterns for extracting metadata from file names. Another would be a built-in format converter, with the ability to create an LRF file from HTML, Word, LIT (Yeah, right), RTF and PDF. Then the interface just needs to be cleaned up a ton... I'm sure there's a lot more, I come up with a new feature request each time I use the software.

This just proves that Sony's strength is producing solid hardware, not software. (Says the software guy working for Sony ;-))

Last edited by bingle; 10-11-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #33
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@slava -- I agree completely!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #34
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Something like "manga reading mode" in picture wievieng
- i have noticed from people reading manga in landscape mode, have problem, when they finish the down half of the page and go to the next page, it will be displayed the down half of the page, so they must scrool up, read it, scroll down and everything again...
+> it should be (optional) like in PDF, you scrool down, go to next page, begin on the upper half etc.
+> the folder structure will be really neaded for manga, becaus of the usual 200+ images/volume
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #35
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I have to second or third or whatever the idea that we should be able to organize our books better! I think a huge part of the success of the iPod is the song organization and how easy it is to find stuff. Navigating on the reader just makes me hope somone takes this most excellent hardware and creates a replacement OS for it...

Also - I like the pink elephant .. err clock idea for the reasons others have stated.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #36
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Bob, we don't know amount of battery drain (if any) required to show clock in status bar and update it once a minute. Chances are it's tiny (7495 page turns instead of 7500). And again, as I've said, Sony (if they decided to) should make it optional, so ppl who don't need wont turn it on - no battery charge wasted. And "adding" clock should be the lowest priority. Adding Unicode support is tenfold more important to me.

I guess my thought was that in order for there to be a clock, the processor would have to stay on continuously. I have to admit I don't know if they could "shut down" everything execpt the "clock circuit". After thinking about it, if there could be a clock without keeping the whole thing on, I'm all for it. Hours and minutes only, NO seconds
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #37
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't PCs still use a separate button battery for maintaining the clock? It never needs replacing because it lasts for years and years. But then again, you have much more room in a desktop PC than a reader. Not sure what laptops or UMPCs do for the clock. But I don't think PDAs, for example, lose much power due to timekeeping.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #38
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Yeah, the still have the "watch battery" Bob. Same thing in most laptops.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #39
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
0a) Add Unicode support for books
0b) Add Unicode support for Reader's UI
I agree with Slava.

CJK font or Unicode support for RTF/TXT/PDF, bookmark, and history is very important to us,
Asian users who read in tranditional/simplified Chinese, Japanese, etc.

I think it is not difficult to import proper CJK/Unicode fonts into the Linux OS of Sony Reader.

Last edited by segatang; 10-12-2006 at 04:18 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #40
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I would like to second the following possibilities for improvement:

1) Add Unicode fonts (I believe the firmware already does support Unicode, but the fonts are not Unicode, missing all sets above the first 8 bits). Must add Unicode support to menu fonts as well. Even though the Reader is only sold in the U.S., it is wrong to assume that in the country of immigrants it is only going to be used to read books in English.

2) Add text search (with ability to select the search alphabeth to alternate with standard latin keyboard, i.e. Cyrillic, Western European, etc.).

3) Would be nice to add support for multiple 8-bit encodings (beside Unicode), but I don't know if it would be too much for Sony software people to manage (although all of it comes standard with Linux)

4) The clock is not a bad idea

5) Fix the PDF reader (why do the HTMLDoc PDFs turn pages fast, the PrimoPDF - somewhat slower, the PDFCreator - very slowly? Some image-heavy large PDFs I tried take as much as 5 minutes to turn a page!). I noticed that the M mode doesn't seem to take affect when paging forward, but it does when paging backward. The M icon stays, but the PDF is displayed in S mode.

6) Add some more ways to organize the texts in the Reader (folders, Author lists, playlists, whatever)

7) Allow deleting books in firmware (not only through PC-based CONNECT)

8) Open the API and show developers how to create and add their own applications to the Reader. I want to see FBReader ported to this platform, perhaps even Mobireader. This would make Sony Reader an instant cult hit (like Nokia 770, only with a better screen), if not necessarily a mass phenomenon.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-12-2006 at 02:55 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #41
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

After seeing NatCh's numerical analysis of the effects of losing the screen area taken by the status bar, I'm now a fan of the option to go full screen. He said something like the extra area gives you room for a 14pt font for the same content that has to be 10pt with the status bar! Wow, if that's right, it's a big deal!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Actually, Slava came up with that observation, Bob.

I just had a number for the pixel height of the bar. I do agree, though that turning it off would be a nice option.

A note to those asking for text searching: You can do text searching in the Connect software. You cannot, on the other hand, enter any text to search for on the Reader itself, as it lacks any sort of text input mechanism.

Just wanted to make sure y'all are thinking about that, because given that singular lack, I just don't think that text searching on the Reader is something that it would be wise to hold your breath on.

Reader 2.0, perhaps. Or maybe an attachable keyboard....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #43
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Actually, Slava came up with that...
Ah, thanks. Nice observations Slava as it really stands out when you put it in those terms. Even that tiny bit of real estate on the screen makes a big difference!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #44
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Bob, Nathan,

I didn't do that, I swear

All I've said that if someone uses "real" screen demensions to created pdf, then to fit same amount of text font size should be reduced.

E.g. with page size 5.24x6.69 I use font size 14. Now, if I change page size to 3.543"x4.606", font size needs to be 10.

Something along those lines
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Actually, that's just what we're talking about, Slava! You may not have realized you were demonstrating that the status bar takes up what could be another line of text, but that's what you did, nonetheless.

You get the credit, no good trying to weasel out of it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote