Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Whistler, James McNeill: The Gentle Art of Making Enemies | v.1.0 | 9 Apr 2014

[restored text of the original 12 May 2012 upload:]

The Coxcomb Series, Vol. 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	whistler3.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	121464

Here’s the second companion to The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, due on Sunday [here] (the first being Max Beerbohm’s Writings 1893-1923):

James Abbott McNeill Whistler:

THE GENTLE ART OF MAKING ENEMIES (1890)

Primarily an artist, Whistler (wikipedia) was also an art critic’s critic of great condescension and fast wit, most notably in a libel suit against John Ruskin: he won the suit and it ruined him financially (which can happen if judges assess whether something is ‘art’)! This book collects what Whistler had to say on art, critics, and everything else. You will also find his notes on Oscar Wilde, as you will Oscar’s on him in the upcoming Wilde collection.

This must be one of the most beautifully formatted books ever produced (you can look at the original scan here), with small footnotes and reflections in the outer columns and his trademark butterfly signatures flying through the texts. And this is also one of the (rare?) cases where a team on Gutenberg did it justice and made a marvelous-looking html version of the text.*

Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate too well into an epub, which is why I tried to carefully recalibrate their version into something that is readable—and still beautiful, I hope—on 5 or 6 inch screens. Apart from the footnotes which I made active, there are still reflections, quotes and other comments running in the right margin along the main text. It comes with all the original images, I have embedded fonts for all the variations of small caps needed in the text, and the curly quotes have been put back in. An alphabetical register at the end (from the original html) brings you to the texts you are looking for.

Best,
pynch.

* Their text also showed me that it is possible to solve the formatting problem in the doomed ‘Finnegans Wake’-chapter of my Joyce-epub, so expect an update there soon.

[previous downloads: 140]
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Whistler - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies.epub (1.51 MB, 554 views)

Last edited by pynch; 02-06-2016 at 03:07 PM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks, a lot for reuploading this mate. And about the formatting on PG, I have actually noticed that the newer releases have been well done, you can tell they are getting better.

Last edited by tempura; 04-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert